Modified double hammock to dog + human hammock?

So I have a grand trunk double hammock, which served both the dog and I well during some May and June hikes where it went into the 40s at night (just using a sleeping bag, no UQ). However, now that it's hot, neither the dog nor I want to share the same hammock, but she also isn't quite comfortable below me- she wants to be able to see me. I also prefer a narrower hammock than a double - the sides get too high for me (I prefer the hammock bliss sky bed on my own).

hammock proposal.jpg

(The green and blue are the colors of the hammock, it doesn't indicate a different material or anything)

This got me thinking: could I essentially put two suspensions on one hammock, and make two narrower hammocks out of the same body of fabric? I drew up a plan as seen from above as to what this might look like:
    Where you just cut a slot in the suspension channel, and then thread an amsteel continuous loop through each of the (now) two channels per side? Hopefully this would create a ridge that would in effect serve to create two separate but suspended together hammocks.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Hammock
    SLD TR, BIAS HL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ, AHE
    Suspension
    DW Whoopies/Straps
    Never gonna know till you try it. I say go for it. But I have neither a double or a dog. Hope it works for the both of you. Post some pics if you do it. Good luck!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't think it is going to have the effect you are thinking but it is worth a shot. Post results and let us know!
    My head is an animal

Just did some preliminary dog testing - I think I'll have to split the ends at the halfway mark, or I'll end up with one bigger, sagged "hammock" and a less-sagged "hammock shelf" above. Off to find the scissors! If this doesn't work, I think I can just return to the original suspension...right?! First a bugnet, now I'm DIY-infected...

Well I did it - now an analysis:
    The good: I like the smaller size hammock better, so I am now easily able to fold the hammock in half and use it as a double layer regular hammock, which I like.
    The bad: I didn't take into account that it wouldn't feel like a side by side hammock unless the loads on both sides were equal, but since I am heavier than the dog, the dog's side rode up higher, which was strange. It was like having a dog shelf. Also, and this really surprised me, I was annoyed having to search for the ridge and not make sure I accidentally sat on top of it. I almost want to mark it with tape or something to make that midpoint ridge clear.

So, not a success in terms of original goals, but I probably use it more now folded in half!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the experiment! I have messed around trying to please my wife for a side by side single hammock for two people....so far it hasn't worked. We currently use two hammocks separated at the channels by 18 inch spreader bars. It works ok. We can squeeze under a winter tarp pretty well. She likes the close proximity. Would your dog sleep in his own hammock?
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Insulation
    Down and wool
    Suspension
    Atlas Suspension
    I go backpacking alot and my dog usually sleeps rite next to me ive been pondering a similar idea, or just two separate hammocks. I was curious how big of a dog you have?

She's a 50 lb retriever mix, so a bit bigger than most of the other dog-in-hammock posts I've read. How big is yours?

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Insulation
    Down and wool
    Suspension
    Atlas Suspension
    95 pound german shepherd lol im leaning towards getting his own.... idk if a hammock could stand up to the nails and the dog jumping in and out though? Ill prolly just make him tough it on the ground which he does anyways but i would just like to have him up closer to where i can see him. Any ideas lol

Hammock
    TTTM
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon camo
    Insulation
    DDUQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps, WS
    Images
    Oscar is an American bulldog cross staffie, so he's a solid dog, if not very big. The pic used in my avatar is one with he and I sharing my hammock. He shares my hammock like he shares my bed - treating my legs as his bed. This is comfortable for us both, because he's just filling dead space rather than hogging a side. Further to that, he can't wait to get in it with me. No sooner have I lain down, then he's up and in with me. My hammock is a single layer TTTM parachute fabric, and has shown no sign of nail-wear or deterioration as a result of Oscar joining me in it.
    Living, learning, and loving both.

• + New Posts