Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images

MacCat Deluxe Ground Pitch

I'm going to be attempting a thru-hike of the PCT next Spring and from my research, it looks a lot like I'm going to be spending some time sleeping on the ground. Especially in S. Ca. there appears to be long stretches where find anything to hang a hammock off of is going to be hard to find.

So my question is, does anyone have advice on pitching a MacCat Deluxe on the ground?

I don't use trekking poles. Should I buy some tent poles to carry? I've never had to go to ground in all my days (not actually that long) of hanging.

Also, if anyone has pictures to go with their advice that would very, very helpful for me.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Scroll down to the bottom of the linked page here. You'll see some ground set-ups using Blackbishop's BlackCat. Very similar to the OES tarps. Should give you some good ideas anyway.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I was going to suggest the same link as Cannibal.

Even if you don't use hiking poles now, maybe they would be worth carrying, at least for the first part of your hike.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I recommend trekking poles for anyone hiking at elevation in the Sierra Nevada. You're going to have some serious slopes to conquer.

If you don't like the weight, look at the Gossamer Gear poles - the latest version of the Lightrek 4 has optional wrist straps and a single lock to make them adjustable. The twist lock of the Lightrek is more stable than the twist locks most of the Big Name pole makers use.

I'm going out Sunday afternoon to do some practice pitches with my MacCat Deluxe and will get pictures for you.

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    I know that many people swear that using trekking poles saves them energy but I've found for me, that doesn't seem to be the case. I feel just as fresh or worn down with them as I do without them, and since they annoy me because I tend to forget them places (a byproduct of my not liking them to begin with) and then have to backtrack or leave them (both bad) I've abandoned them.

Maybe I'll give them another try...

Thanks for the link! That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to have to practice that now.

Here's a related question: How likely do you think it is I could get away without carrying a sleeping pad, sleeping on the ground? It seems unlikely to me too, but while I have your attention, I thought that I'd ask.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    I recommend trekking poles for anyone hiking at elevation in the Sierra Nevada. You're going to have some serious slopes to conquer.

I agree with lori. I had never used poles before, but I bought a cheap pair from walmart to try out. I love those things. The difference they made in both stabilty with my overly heavy pack, and ease of climbing up over rocks and other obstructions in the high sierra is well worth the 20 bucks I spent on them. I have walked all over the sierras deer hunting, but that trip was the easiest I have ever done it. And I had a very large pack on my back on that trip.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    If you don't like the trekking poles, go with your idea of tent poles.A couple of fold up, shock-corded ones are cheap enough, and then try a set up at home or close by to see how they will work. That video above was quite helpful as to the different ways you can work a tarp. Sean Mulhall has a few ideas on youtube, using a tarp and tent pole, as well.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em9Le...eature=related
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Some people can sleep on the ground. I'm not that lucky. It depends on you and how comfortable you are sleeping on duff - in the Sierras at higher elevations there aren't leaves, but pine or fir needles in various degrees of decay, and those aren't very cushy or insulating. At elevations of 8,000 or more, temps will sometimes dip to freezing or below even in summer.... so even if all you have is a ccf torso pad it will be more comfortable than nothing, especially if you end up somewhere alpine sleeping on granite.

• + New Posts