Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Should I go with the 8 foot center beam or the 10 foot center beam for the Blackbird?

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the video and tips. I just ordered the kit. I can't beleive they are selling this for such a great price. My husband keeps asking where in our treeless yard would I like for him to install some kind of stand. I keep telling him I don't want something permanent and I will let him know when I find the stand I want. Well guess what? I think I have found it. Can't go wrong for $20.00 plus a few 4 x 4's. Thanks again for the video. I may even be able to put it together myself.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPC View Post
    Should I go with the 8 foot center beam or the 10 foot center beam for the Blackbird?
    I used a 10' center beam and it resulted in a spread of about 15'5" at the top of the uprights.

It turns out my HH Explorer doesn't need that much, so I'm probably going to take 2' off the center beam reducing the spread by 2' as well. Not familiar with the BB's dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Clumseybear View Post
    Thanks for the video and tips. I just ordered the kit. I can't beleive they are selling this for such a great price. My husband keeps asking where in our treeless yard would I like for him to install some kind of stand. I keep telling him I don't want something permanent and I will let him know when I find the stand I want. Well guess what? I think I have found it. Can't go wrong for $20.00 plus a few 4 x 4's. Thanks again for the video. I may even be able to put it together myself.
    Just be aware that the stand is BIG. It's a major presence in the yard.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Knotty, could it be possible to use 2 x4's instead of 4 x 4's, just double up a short piece of 2x4 at the brackets? this would reduce weight, just wondering structurally if it would be enough. Alot of stands have been made from 2x4's. And this would allow for a splice connection at the main center beam, allowing for car transport. ??? I've seen rev's video, and thought this might be an alternative way to go.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Just be aware that the stand is BIG. It's a major presence in the yard.

You should see it inside..... BIG Behemoth.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Knotty, could it be possible to use 2 x4's instead of 4 x 4's, just double up a short piece of 2x4 at the brackets? this would reduce weight, just wondering structurally if it would be enough. Alot of stands have been made from 2x4's. And this would allow for a splice connection at the main center beam, allowing for car transport. ??? I've seen rev's video, and thought this might be an alternative way to go.
    2"x4" don't work in my experience. YMMV

Had 2"x4" uprights in a risk style stand. After about 9 months daily use, the 2"x4" uprights were no longer straight, but were bending from the forces. I figured another 9 months and they would bend badly out of shape. Note the 2"x4" uprights were oriented such that the 4" dimension was parallel with the hammock. They bent in the 2" dimension, perpendicular to the forces applied.

Re-made stand using 4"x4" uprights and a fence rail from top to top.

Working very well.
    Last edited by TeeDee; 07-20-2009 at 19:44.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images

This would be a very bad idea if you extend the hieght of the supports over about 3 feet. 2 x 4 does not have the structural integrity to withstand the forces. When I was building platforming a major support was required every two feet to make the platform strong enough to support a persons weight. To change the plans in that way would be extremely risky and very unadvisable in my opinion.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Add one more who placed the order thanks to Rev's video. Thanks for letting those of us with no sales resistance know about one more thing we all need.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Because of the way this stand uses brackets, I don't think that would work. Other 2x4 stands have the bracing for the verticals. With the brackets all the strain would be focused there.

That said, the 4x4s seem to make this thing way overbuilt.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    SB Pro, Lawson, Everest Double
    Images
    Oh Man ... been gone for just a bit and now I start catching up and find this thread ... and I even had 20 bucks in the play funds ... well ... I did have 20 bucks there.

I've also got to write up a trip report. Canoebie took myself, 4 boys scouts and another adult on a week long canoe trip down the Manistee river. He even had an extra hammock for Jared (the other adult) ... heh heh ... hooked another one !

Anyways thanks for the link to the kit !
    Mike

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast