Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Possible MS Group Hang - Chime in folks

There have been several of us who have been discussing the Homochitto National Forest Clear Springs Trail complex in south MS as a potential hang/hike location and thoughts have turned to the possibility of a group hang later in the year.

This thread is to make the intentions known and see about potential dates. The initial date floated out there has been November 14 - 16.

There is a Texas hang the week before that I know many of our LA brethren will be at so back to back may not work for some but kind of hoping to keep this toward the "cooler" end of the MS weather (yea, I know, no such animal. Insert weather witticism here). Like most SEC states, football reigns supreme so I get the issues of game concerns as well. Although, I will say, if my cajun friends can rig up a 60" flat screen in the bed of a pickup in the primitive sites at Lake Kincade surely I've got some MS guys who can redneck tech something for us to watch whatever the game de jour is that weekend.

So let's hear it MS men (and women). Please post on this thread your thoughts and ideas about potential dates, etc. We need a little something IN Mississippi for Mississippi folks.

Hammock
    SMR Solo/Dream Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'd be interested. I'll check those dates and see if they work for me. Maybe I can talk gps4 into coming...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    I'm in...as always...if I can get off that week-end. From your description it sounds like a great place for a group hang. I would also be willing to chip in on any costs for the site. Might be able to haul in some hardwood too.

Hammock
    SMR Solo/Dream Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Anyone have any experience with this site, crowd-wise, during hunting season?
    ETA: I'm out that weekend. Maybe next time.
    Last edited by dukhntn; 06-25-2014 at 14:10. Reason: Y

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    That weekend may be good for me but that would be a long drive from where I am at so I would have to see. Sounds like a fun weekend though!

Hammock
    WBBB & HH Exped Zip
    Tarp
    SF, HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Grlk3,EERevX20
    Suspension
    Web/Whoopie Sling
    This looks interesting to me. I've backpacked and hammock camped there a couple of times. I've never used the designated camp sites though, always choosing to backpack in to pitch camp.

Also, you may want to chaeck with Jazilla, as the 4th or 5th Annual Louisiana Fall Hang is typically around the same time. It's a great hang, and will no doubt pull from any new hang so nearby, if set on or near same dates.
    J3

"No Matter where you go, there you are." -B. Banzai
    -Crede quod habes et habes-

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJackJim View Post
    This looks interesting to me. I've backpacked and hammock camped there a couple of times. I've never used the designated camp sites though, always choosing to backpack in to pitch camp.

Also, you may want to chaeck with Jazilla, as the 4th or 5th Annual Louisiana Fall Hang is typically around the same time. It's a great hang, and will no doubt pull from any new hang so nearby, if set on or near same dates.
    I checked Jim. The LA hang is in October 9 - 12. Should be no issue. I don't want folks to feel like they have to choose one over the other. Our date isn't firm by any means at this point. Just trying to see about interest and get some approval on the initial suggestion for a date or alternatives.

Hope you would be able to come. It would be nice to see you again and draw from your experience in this area.
    Fingers crossed.

Hammock
    Eno Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    incubator 20
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Count me in. We'll have to get a set date, but it should be no problem. Agreed about in MS hangs. There are more of us than you think. We hung in Seminary the day after clear springs a few weeks back. By the next morning there were seven other hammocks hung down trail from us. Sneaky, sneaky! They are out there, some newer, a few old hands that were probably called "eccentric" by their friends. Put away your lurker status, you are amongst friends here. Those ground dwellers only say those things for they know not the enlightenment of height and trunk.
    "Do, or do not, there is no try."-Yoda

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bringerofgame View Post
    Agreed about in MS hangs. There are more of us than you think.
    I'm kinda beginning to think I may have been incorrect on my assessment based on the response, or should I say, the lack of responses to this thread.

No matter. If it's just me and the boy, or twenty of us. I hang. Definitely not a hobby I use to meet people, though I have met some high quality people at the few hangs I've been too (you know who you are), or to follow the crowd or to be trendy. Like the wolf, I can hang alone....(sorry that was lame but you get the point).

Still, it would be nice to see more MS men and women who hang involved or at least, a little more vocal on the forum.

Here's hoping more will seek to be a part. I like to see the other perspectives out there. Maybe we should fly in a celebrity guest hanger? Shug? Grizz? Fallkniven? Gresh? NO! I got it. GrannyPat.

Hammock
    Eno Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    incubator 20
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    I'm picking up what you're putting down brother. But I'm of the fake it til you make it philosophy. I'll be hanging somewhere, might as well be there. All we can do is set up hangs and then show up. It may take a few to get it snowballed, but I feel good about it. I'm in it to hang, mission accomplished. Meeting cool people is a bonus. Seems to me that the mentality of our great state is changing for the better anyway. There's a lot of MS out there to discover, and she knows how to hide her beauty for the appreciative. I know more people are interested, I'm actively recruiting all the time. Gimme a soapbox and you may think it's an election campaign circa 1874. Not that it's a hard sell. Just let their own discomfort drive them en masse to the bliss of elevation. These hangs are like cake. Even bad cake is still cake, so hey, I'm grabbing a slice! As for a celebrity, you can never tell. To mother nature though, every one who cherishes her hidden gems, defends her honor, and leaves the path behind them in better shape is red carpet status. (Red carpet of hardwood leaves down a remote trail, bright flashes from the lightening bugs, questions from the crickets, the spectators of the forest abuzz.) Good times, good times.
    "Do, or do not, there is no try."-Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast