ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks

Problems making Mason line whoopies

So, I decided to try my hand at making some whoopie slings from Mason line (for my tarp guy lines). I used #18 Braided Mason Line from Lowes. I watched this video, which made it look easy as pie. However, when I tried to do it myself, it was a disaster. I was just trying to create the eye loop and couldn't complete the bury. I tried two different sized needles, but it always got stuck on the way back out (see pics below).

So, is there a trick to it that I need to learn, or am I using the wrong line? (I even pulled a wire out of a spiral notebook to try to use that, but the hook I make to fish it was even bigger than the needle's eye, so it wouldn't pull through either.)

Anyway, if anyone has any tips, I would appreciate it. Otherwise I guess I'm back to hitches and prussiks.

IMAG0364.jpg

IMAG0363.jpg

IMAG0366.jpg

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    There is a lot of variation between different brands/sizes of mason's line. Your's may not splice as easily as that used in the video.

From your second photo it looks like you're having trouble getting the bury to enter the opening and it also looks like you are doubling the full diameter of line over on itself...meaning you're trying to pull twice the diameter of line through itself. That often does not work well.

Taper the bury buy pulling out half of the strands and cutting them off, insert it into the needle, folded wire, etc and fold the bury back on itself and not back onto the full diameter section. This way you only have to pull the same diameter back through itself instead of 2x the diameter.

Here's a post of mine with photos showing it done with 1.75 mm Zing It.... https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...l=1#post838661

Just taper the end, and use the smallest diameter wire you can find that is stiff enough to feed through the buries. I have spliced similar diameter cord and tapering it makes a world of difference. You can also work the opening at the bury exit with your splicing tool to open it up if needed.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    +1 taper the end. Also, because masons line is very pliable it'll be more difficult to start the bury.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    KNT12/16
    Insulation
    KAQ RC 4S UQ
    Suspension
    Slings and arrows
    I did same. Challenging with that small a rope. I was OK until trying to create a fat bury end to prevent pull through. Ended up resorting to a stopper knot there.
    Latest inspiration: In the dirt. Ep3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX7ieDrNvnU

Taper!

I did a bunch of whoopie slings and continuous loops last night. I tried without the taper.. makes a huge difference! Granted, that was on 7/64 Amsteel, but still....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Whoopie slings are not the best option for tarp tie outs in my experience. I uses more line than is necessary and there are other more efficient ways of adjustment IMO. If you want to splice look into making UCR's. Prusiks are another good option.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    Ha! all you guys taper.... I never taper my line. Just massage the rope enough, and it'll slide right through itself. But I'm sure it's different with mason line. Tapering does make it a little bit easier, but I just forget it to save time. Takes me about 2 min. to make one whoopie sling.

EDIT: This is an alternative method to make whoopies (how I do it) , and instead of a needle, I use a long, skinny wire bent in half.

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtJGTgpv4dc

SECOND EDIT: zing it or lash it work great for tarp lines, and is easy to splice (rated to 400 lbs!). Plus, it's super light and thin. You can buy it here: http://dutchwaregear.com/25-feet-of-zing-it.html

Or lash it, here: http://dutchwaregear.com/25-feet-of-lash-it.html
    Last edited by DRobertson; 06-25-2014 at 09:22.
    I'm a Mormon. I know it, I live it, and I love it.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    There is a lot of variation between different brands/sizes of mason's line. Your's may not splice as easily as that used in the video.

From your second photo it looks like you're having trouble getting the bury to enter the opening and it also looks like you are doubling the full diameter of line over on itself...meaning you're trying to pull twice the diameter of line through itself. That often does not work well.

Taper the bury buy pulling out half of the strands and cutting them off, insert it into the needle, folded wire, etc and fold the bury back on itself and not back onto the full diameter section. This way you only have to pull the same diameter back through itself instead of 2x the diameter.

Here's a post of mine with photos showing it done with 1.75 mm Zing It.... https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...l=1#post838661
    Thanks -- I remember seeing info about tapering in other posts, but when I saw that video, she didn't do it so I didn't think I needed to. However, I guess I do.

I'll give it another try tonight and report back...

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Whoopie slings are not the best option for tarp tie outs in my experience. I uses more line than is necessary and there are other more efficient ways of adjustment IMO. If you want to splice look into making UCR's. Prusiks are another good option.
    Actually, I agree with you -- it does seem like overkill. I'm now planning on using regular line with tensioners and marlin spike it to the stake, Shug-style. However, I did want to do the eye splice to lark's head to the tarp, since I think it looks cleaner than a bowline.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by DRobertson View Post
    Ha! all you guys taper.... I never taper my line. Just massage the rope enough, and it'll slide right through itself. But I'm sure it's different with mason line. Tapering does make it a little bit easier, but I just forget it to save time. Takes me about 2 min. to make one whoopie sling.
    Ha! you don't taper.... and are making a weaker whoopie sling as a result.

The taper is to make a smooth transition where the bury ends on eye splices, continuous loops, etc. to maximize strength retention in the spliced product.

Easier splicing is just a side benefit.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast