Hammock
    WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    LumberJack, you only made one mistake. You say you purchased Nylon webbing..... and nylon webbing stretches. A lot. Polyester webbing would be a much better choice.

By the way, a good place to buy spreader bar buckles (to connect bars to hammock) is here : http://dutchwaregear.com/titanium-br...mmock-end.html

my fav. places to buy diy supplies are DIY gear supply, and Dutch Ware Gear. (much less costly than quest)
    I'm a Mormon. I know it, I live it, and I love it.

As others have said, it's easy to end up with 2 slightly different lengths along the sides of a bridge. Use whoopies instead of dogbones for the suspension triangle to correct this.

Images
    I have a thread back a bit where I made my first bridge. Getting started with all the math and making sure I was not cutting something wrong made it go slow at first. I made mine out of one piece of fabric(did not get enough so had to make small end caps) and really like it. I did my side suspension out of amsteel which i think made sewing the channel a little harder. Also if you do make it out of 1 long piece don't cut past your hem when making a spot for the spreader bars. Grizz's videos on how to make the bug net with 3 triangles worked really good. I also found that putting the extra fabric around the sides before the zipper also is really good, but found I needed even more were the spreader bars went(see photo). I made my zipper go on three sides so I can push it down to my feet if I want to. Hope that helps
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by The LumberJack View Post
    Actually stevebo, I was watching HikingDad's video on youtube and he makes a triangle on the end and then cuts a fish mouth out, he then sews the two "fish jaws" together, making an endcap.
    That would work just fine! --- (the only advantage of the other way is you can change the geometry of the spreader bar, if you are using trekking poles, depending on your situation--fair weather, keep it nice and wide for comfort, winter or in a storm, make it a little narrower so your tarp will fit tighter etc--- its all good!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    also, the fittings for your spreader bars can be easily made using aluminum (home depot or lowes) and a little time with a drill, file and a belt sander!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    sleepingbag+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing&descenders
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    also, the fittings for your spreader bars can be easily made using aluminum (home depot or lowes) and a little time with a drill, file and a belt sander!
    I have some 1/8", 3/16", and 1/4" steel sheet that I was going to essentially copy dutches spreader bar ends as well as the very famous dutch clips. I have all the tools needed for any such project. But everything you have said is good advice!
    "Never be the smartest man in the room" ~ unknown
    "Peace is that moment in history when everyone stops and reloads" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    sleepingbag+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing&descenders
    Quote Originally Posted by DRobertson View Post
    LumberJack, you only made one mistake. You say you purchased Nylon webbing..... and nylon webbing stretches. A lot. Polyester webbing would be a much better choice.

By the way, a good place to buy spreader bar buckles (to connect bars to hammock) is here : http://dutchwaregear.com/titanium-br...mmock-end.html
    my fav. places to buy diy supplies are DIY gear supply, and Dutch Ware Gear. (much less costly than quest)
    Why didnt I listen to you guys when you said not to get everything from quest. I found out about DIYgearsupply when watching an underquilt DIY video just now, and I am regretting quest, except for the spreader bars. BUT BY THE GRACE OF GOD! I ordered the spruce color 1.9 ripstop and they were backordered so they emailed me, I am saved by the bell! I emailed quest back and told them I would re-order. I am going to price-match and try to get a better deal, even though quest was VERY helpful and they do have a good website. Thanks for all of the help everybody.
    "Never be the smartest man in the room" ~ unknown
    "Peace is that moment in history when everyone stops and reloads" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Hammock
    WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by The LumberJack View Post
    Why didnt I listen to you guys when you said not to get everything from quest. I found out about DIYgearsupply when watching an underquilt DIY video just now, and I am regretting quest, except for the spreader bars. BUT BY THE GRACE OF GOD! I ordered the spruce color 1.9 ripstop and they were backordered so they emailed me, I am saved by the bell! I emailed quest back and told them I would re-order. I am going to price-match and try to get a better deal, even though quest was VERY helpful and they do have a good website. Thanks for all of the help everybody.
    Glad to help!
    I'm a Mormon. I know it, I live it, and I love it.

Stevebo, is there any way you can post a pic of the drawstring for the ends? I'm going to make one next week and love this idea, but am new to hammocks so having a hard time picturing it. Thanks!

Also is there an update to the 2007/2008 design Grizzly posted...it said he was going to make another and update the plans but I haven't found them.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Images
    I have my own bridge hammock project laid out on the sewing table right now! I'm happy to follow this thread as lumberjack puts his together. Good luck!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast