Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB & Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie DIY
    Images

Howdy from Sierra Vista AZ

Where does everyone hammock camp here?...
    I'm just visiting but see only scrub brush. Where to hang I know not and I feel like I would ignite anything I get near with my stove. So I gotta ask....where do you all camp?

This place has a beauty all it's own and I'm compelled to look further for camping spots. The views are amazing if not death valleyesque.

The folks here are very nice here and seem to like it here so I'm trying to understand the draw of this place.

Thanks
    SG

Hammock
    DH ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Superfly,Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG,INC/UGQ,FLTJ
    Suspension
    Speedos/Ankors

Howdy from Sierra Vista AZ

Hello, I don't live there but work down there every other week. Lots of awesome places to hang anywhere on and around the Hauchuca's. Miller peak is 10,000'. Drive up car canyon rd....... Goes up the mountain and there are a couple official camp grounds and plenty of off the grid beautiful places. Ramsey canyon preserve is pretty, no camping but worth the visit for day hike. Up miller road a little ways if you want a quicky hang. Other than the hauchuca range yeah pretty much scrub and no place to hang. Up Tucson way there's mt Lemmon and surrounding ranges plenty high with trees......enjoy
    Last edited by rotorwash; 06-18-2014 at 01:32.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear -Modded
    Insulation
    Onewind Top/Underq
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    I used to live down that way for a couple years, but that was before my hanging days. If you have access to Ft. Huachuca then I would suggest checking out Lower Garden Canyon. That area has enough trees that you should find some good places to hang.

As for the draw of the place, here is what I liked when I lived there: Small population, mild temperatures (rarely got above 100 degrees while I was there), Unique landscape, and friendly people. The only reason I left was because my wife and I missed our families in California.
    - We're never going to survive this!!
    - Nonsense. You only say that because no one ever has.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I used to live in Tucson and spent a lot of time hiking around there. I personally think it's one of the most beautiful places in the world. During my four years there I didn't even put a dent in exploring all the beautiful places.

You're not going to find many trees in the desert (though they do exist in riparian areas, most of which are on BLM land and require a permit). One of the most fascinating ecosystems is the sky islands of southern Arizona. These are forested mountain ranges surrounded by desert.

http://www.azwild.org/regions/skyisland.php

There's a bunch of camping places in the sky islands:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/coro...43345&actid=29

I always wanted to visit Aravaipa Canyon Wilderness Area (administered by the BLM).

http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/arolrsma...a/camping.html

Back when I lived in Tuscon, I used to get permits to explore BLM land (searching for riparian areas; i.e., trees and water). By far that was the most enjoyable exploring I did but there are no trails, no roads and no maps for a lot of the BLM land. That's a bit too much for the average Joe so you can have the wilderness to yourself. I always loved the fact that you could find a place within 5 or 10 miles of Tucson where you could die, and nobody would ever find your body.

I'm jealous - wish I was there!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Howdy back at ya, and welcome to the forums. I have no advise for hanging in AZ, though.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    DH ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Superfly,Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG,INC/UGQ,FLTJ
    Suspension
    Speedos/Ankors
    [QUOTE=If you have access to Ft. Huachuca then I would suggest checking out Lower Garden Canyon. That area has enough trees that you should find some good places to hang.[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of sweet spots without going onto base property, but from my understanding it's easy to get access as a civilian, all you need is an ID and a reason/destination

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Also, don't forget the Chiricahua's... They have some great camping and they are high enough to have trees to hang from... I believe all entrance fees are waved through September...

• + New Posts