Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Gathered end single
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

New Hanger in Arizona

Hello!
    I'm Tess, and I'm totally new to hanging but not to the great outdoors. I ended up here from Shug's How to Youtube Videos. I'm located in the Phoenix AZ Metro. I have been lurking to learn everything possible from you fine people with the intent of using hanging as a lighter alterative for camping or backpacking trips and evetually The Appalachian trail.

There is a suprising amount to learn, so point me to any place you think I should start/check out.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Welcome Tess, your going to like it here. Lots of really nice helpful people. Let us know if you have any questions.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Welcome! Check out the Hangouts and Trip Planning forum for hangs in or close to your area. They are a great way to meet some of the people on these forums and to check out hammock camping gear. Also, read the stickies at the top of each forum. You've already found a great resource: Shug and his videos.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Gathered end single
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    Welcome Tess, your going to like it here. Lots of really nice helpful people. Let us know if you have any questions.
    I have a ton of questions, to be totaly honest. I have yet to fail to find answers to most of them. This really is a great resource and seems like a great community.

Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    Welcome! Check out the Hangouts and Trip Planning forum for hangs in or close to your area. They are a great way to meet some of the people on these forums and to check out hammock camping gear. Also, read the stickies at the top of each forum. You've already found a great resource: Shug and his videos.
    I've noticed we don't have too many people active in AZ(low responses on the hangs for the area), it could be the lack of trees?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from the Jersey Shore. Soon as I saw Grannypat's response I thought to myself, "Arizona doesn't seem to have any group hangs in or close." Arizona has plenty of trees, as does Colorado yet they seem to rarely have group hangs. Could be cultural, demographic or something - can't quite put my finger on it. Hiking and camping in AZ, CO, UT and other states in the Wild, Wild West is somewhat more intimidating than, say, New Jersey, where I live.

When I lived in Tucson, almost all my hiking and camping was solo. I'd say, "Wanna hike to the top of Finger Rock (in the Santa Catalinas)?" People would look at me like I was crazy. They didn't want to carry two gallons of water (per day) in such a harsh environment.

All I can say is - I miss Arizona badly. Soon as my kids get out of college I'm gonna spend some serious time out there exploring your beautiful state, alone.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Arizona has plenty of trees, as does Colorado yet they seem to rarely have group hangs. Could be cultural, demographic or something - can't quite put my finger on it. Hiking and camping in AZ, CO, UT and other states in the Wild, Wild West is somewhat more intimidating than, say, New Jersey, where I live.

All I can say is - I miss Arizona badly. Soon as my kids get out of college I'm gonna spend some serious time out there exploring your beautiful state, alone.
    We need to fix that... I go to AZ at least one week a month and live right on the border of NM. There are a bunch of great places to camp in both states, a large hiking community and every time I go camping, a ton of people in the woods. Maybe someone just needs to kick off the first one.

I grew up and went to school in NJ, spent countless nights camping in the pine barrens. It's great place, but after spending the last 35 years in the west, I'd rather be camping out here.... 😊
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I grew up and went to school in NJ, spent countless nights camping in the pine barrens. It's great place, but after spending the last 35 years in the west, I'd rather be camping out here.... ��
    I do spend a lot of time in the Pine Barrens and love it, but I agree with you. I fell in love with Arizona the minute I saw it - I still think it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen and plan on going back there to live one day. My idea of adventure is to go to places where you could die and nobody would ever find your body. That's really easy in Arizona. You'd probably only have to drive 5 or 10 miles outside of Tucson to find a place like that.

I was born in TX (Lufkin), but if I ever had to live there again, it would probably be El Paso 'cause of easy access to AZ, NM & Mexico.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Welcome Tess, lots of great people and info here.

Hammock
    DH ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Superfly,Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG,INC/UGQ,FLTJ
    Suspension
    Speedos/Ankors
    Welcome Tess.......Yeah it's kinda hot right now, so maybe september/october. Even higher elevations it's 90's in the day, yes cool enough at night but who wants to hang outside in 90* weather

Hammock
    Gathered end single
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Welcome from the Jersey Shore. Soon as I saw Grannypat's response I thought to myself, "Arizona doesn't seem to have any group hangs in or close." Arizona has plenty of trees, as does Colorado yet they seem to rarely have group hangs. Could be cultural, demographic or something - can't quite put my finger on it. Hiking and camping in AZ, CO, UT and other states in the Wild, Wild West is somewhat more intimidating than, say, New Jersey, where I live.

When I lived in Tucson, almost all my hiking and camping was solo. I'd say, "Wanna hike to the top of Finger Rock (in the Santa Catalinas)?" People would look at me like I was crazy. They didn't want to carry two gallons of water (per day) in such a harsh environment.

It can be very very beautiful indeed, but it's a hard land also.

We need to fix that... I go to AZ at least one week a month and live right on the border of NM. There are a bunch of great places to camp in both states, a large hiking community and every time I go camping, a ton of people in the woods. Maybe someone just needs to kick off the first one.

I grew up and went to school in NJ, spent countless nights camping in the pine barrens. It's great place, but after spending the last 35 years in the west, I'd rather be camping out here.... ��
    I saw a few posts in the last few months trying to get something to come together. So I guess it's a wait and see right now. I would be really excited to get to hang with some people more experienced.

I do spend a lot of time in the Pine Barrens and love it, but I agree with you. I fell in love with Arizona the minute I saw it - I still think it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen and plan on going back there to live one day. My idea of adventure is to go to places where you could die and nobody would ever find your body. That's really easy in Arizona. You'd probably only have to drive 5 or 10 miles outside of Tucson to find a place like that.

I was born in TX (Lufkin), but if I ever had to live there again, it would probably be El Paso 'cause of easy access to AZ, NM & Mexico.
    So then you'll come hang with the AZ kids?

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    Welcome Tess, lots of great people and info here.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by rotorwash View Post
    Welcome Tess.......Yeah it's kinda hot right now, so maybe september/october. Even higher elevations it's 90's in the day, yes cool enough at night but who wants to hang outside in 90* weather
    Honestly I hung my set up for the first time last night, 100-95* out and it was still pretty nice. I look forward to the colder days though. They are a bit away.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast