Hammock
    DIY Camo Gathered-End
    Tarp
    DIY Camo Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Pad & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

I'm About To Take On The Mother Of All DIY Projects...

I had the cash in hand and the Clark website staring me I the face and I froze. I was looking at close to $700 for a NX-250, a Vertex Tarp, and their freshly redesigned Z-Liner.

$700.

That is a whole lot of money for a hammock... even if it is the Mercedes Benz of the hammock world.

So, I did a few calculations and went to the DIYGS website and spent a little over $200 of a wide variety of supplies, including more than 20 yards of fabric, and then I went back to the Clark website and ordered a set of replacement poles for the NX-250.

I'll start the 10'x12' winter tarp right away, eager to test my water-proofing skills, and then I'm going to attempt to recreate an NX-250 clone.

I'm hoping I'll have lots of pictures to add to this thread once I get started - tarp first.

Now the reason I'm posting this is because I'm hoping a few of you guys, maybe some Clark owners, can offer some insight and advice on what makes this hammock so special.

So how about it, guys. Can you tell me the secret to successfully building a Clark clone?
    I make gear... lots and lots of gear.
    http://campingwithken.com/

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Good luck with you project. Take your time and you will be surprised with what you can do! They look like nice hammocks.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
    ...So how about it, guys. Can you tell me the secret to successfully building a Clark clone?
    The secret is to buy the Clark so you have a pattern and sell it when you're done.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    What features about that hammock are you enamored with?

And what features can you live without?

And who claims (Other than Clark) that it is the Mercedes Benz of the hammock world?

I didn't check the reviews to see how the concept of dead air or gear stowed below would prove to have much insulation value - does it really!

If you're dead set on this, I'd suggest watching the video numerous times, making notes, drafting the plans and then making a prototype out of cheap cotton to make sure you've got the pattern down pat before cutting the good stuff.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    What features about that hammock are you enamored with?

And what features can you live without?

And who claims (Other than Clark) that it is the Mercedes Benz of the hammock world?

I didn't check the reviews to see how the concept of dead air or gear stowed below would prove to have much insulation value - does it really!

If you're dead set on this, I'd suggest watching the video numerous times, making notes, drafting the plans and then making a prototype out of cheap cotton to make sure you've got the pattern down pat before cutting the good stuff.
    Good luck with your project! Just keep in mind that behind every succesful product, is a whole bunch of prototypes that didnt work very well! (very few people get it right on the first try!) --------------------also, might want to look up the origional clark patent on google patents---might give insite on the design etc
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    heres a link I found that talks about cloning a clark https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Hammock-plans
    Also, theres nothing wrong with just making a very nice DIY hammock (and its very doable) ------in case the clark thing doesnt work out!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    I always thought it was the Hummer of the hammock world.

Weighs a ton and I would get very poor mileage when hiking!

Good luck with the project. I definitely think you should have the hammock you're attempting to clone - it will be hard to clone something you don't actually have.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Camo Gathered-End
    Tarp
    DIY Camo Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Pad & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Good advice...

Hammock
    DIY Camo Gathered-End
    Tarp
    DIY Camo Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Pad & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Also good advice. I like the patent idea. That's a good one.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Gathered-End
    Tarp
    DIY Camo Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Pad & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Yeah, I read that thread last week, I think it was. The advice given in that post is to buy one, because there's noting like it.

From where I sit, I can count 3 hammocks, a camo HH clone, a MAPAT gathered end, and a bridge hammock. Then there's the one I made for my neighbor....

THIS is why I have to build one, Stevebo...It's like a quest for the Holy Grail.

I'm going to go slow... take my time... finish one thing at a time... and probably do a bit of cursing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast