DIY W/bugnet, ENO DN
    Tarp
    DIY Hex, Noah 12
    Insulation
    Ummmm....
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

Hammock width and length?

Okay guys here we go... So I have been watching Xtrekker's videos on hammock building and I'm planning to follow them pretty closely including the bug net. I may make some small adjustments along the way to add features or tweak for my needs. Which leads me to the length and width of the hammock. On his video he shows an initial width of 64" with a finished width of 62". I am planning to order my material from Ripstopbytheroll.com. The listed width on the nylon is only 60". Is it actually wider than what's listed or do I need to find another dealer? I don't want to go to narrow since I am 6' tall and 185lbs. Which leads me to the length. My ENO DoubleNest is only 9'4" long but really wide at 6'2". This allows me to lay at a good angle. With a narrower hammock I am assuming longer will be better for a flatter lay correct? I am thinking along the lines of the WBBB-XCL at 11'.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Everyone is different. What is too small for some is perfect for others, as is the opposite. My hammock is one of the shortest and thinnest commercial ones out there and is my favorite. Every time I try a different hammock I don't like it as much. I wonder if it the size more than anything. Thus, the sizing of the hammock is a very personal issue. I would suggest you play around with some cheap material to determine the dimensions you like the best before you go with the final design dimensions.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Suspension
    kammock python str
    My first diy hammocks were made from fabric from joanne's and i think it was 54 inches wide. They came out as comfortable as my HH. I recently finished one with ripstopbytheroll fabric and it is extreamly comfortable. Their fabric is top notch and a steal at the price. Buy with confidence!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Still figuring it
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    I've followed XTrekker's tutorial more than once. My first hammock started with a 10' 6" by 62" piece of ripstop. The next one was 12' by 72". The larger one was a lot more comfortable to me, but the smaller one was fine. I'm 5' 10", if that matters. It's been said that length makes more difference than width. I have limited experience, but I tend to agree. My younger daughter (she's 8) made a hammock with a 11' by 54" piece of fabric, and it is quite comfortable.

XTrekker's hammock design with bugnet is actually quite easy and works well.

Hammock
    DIY W/bugnet, ENO DN
    Tarp
    DIY Hex, Noah 12
    Insulation
    Ummmm....
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    The video makes perfect sense to me... Diminishing returns after a certain point. My ENO is much to short. I do like the width because I can sit in it width wise Indian style and have my head supported. Like you guys have mentioned, maybe I just have to play and see what I like best. With that said I'll probably go in the middle of what was mentioned here. About 60" wide and 11' long and see how that works for me....

THANKS!

• + New Posts