Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AE New River MM TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images

Still feelin the love for the SB?

Total hammock noob here.
    Bought a HH Exped BE years ago buy never got a chance to use it, until a couple months ago. Now I realize I can get back in the woods and
    get a good nights sleep without all the hip and shoulder problems from sleeping on the ground. Planning on doing a lot of car camping and hopefully a couple backpacking trips if I can find someone to go with.

When I tried out the HH, I wasnt really happy with the bottom entry, so my HH will be on its way to 2QZQ for the Mod 4. In the meantime I bought a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro, which feels comfortable and pretty roomy compare to the HH.
    The GT still leaves a few things to be desired, like internal storage, tie outs, etc.

So in the spirit of this forum and all the rest of you gear junkies I'm looking to purchase another hammock and tarp. (This really does become an addiction, doesn't it? )

I'm' 5'8" 200lbs and a restless side sleeper. Right now, my choices are between the WBBB, WBRR, DH Thunderbird, and TtT SB. I've actually put the WBRR on the back burner for now, because of the extra distance needed to setup. I have an 11' hang spot in my back yard that I would like to be able to use with the new hammock, my other option is to break out the TurtleDog stand if I need extra length.

So, my dilemma is, it would seem that conventional wisdom is, the wider the hammock, the more comfortable. However I've read all these posts about how comfortable this 52" wide SB is and most of the other hammock makers are making hammock in the 60"s for width.

So what say you SB owners, still loving the SB?????

I spoke with Dale a couple days ago, and since I only live an hour away, Dale is gracious enough to put up a SB and let me try it out. But let's be honest, trying out a hammock for 20 minutes is nothing compared to spending the night in one, so I'm looking for all the input I can get.

Talking with Dale, I can tell he's a great guy and I'm sure he has an outstanding product. Just want to be sure of this purchase, because if I buy to many hammock rigs the wife will be wanting a new kitchen remodel.

Thanks

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim52 View Post

So, my dilemma is, it would seem that conventional wisdom is, the wider the hammock, the more comfortable. However I've read all these posts about how comfortable this 52" wide SB is and most of the other hammock makers are making hammock in the 60"s for width....
    I still have not tried a SB despite how much some folks rave about them. Someday. But I sure would not let the width, or even the length, concern me. There are just too many variables that must all come together that go into a hammocks comfort to hang everything on one thing like length or width.

For example, for many years the non-bridge hammock I most consistently find comfort in, and have most consistently picked for my backpacking trips(to be used with a Speer Pea Pod) is the Claytor No Net. And not just me, but there is a minority here who have also rated the Claytor hammocks very highly and sometimes even rated it the highest. But here is the point: my Claytor No Net is only 10 feet long and more impressive it is the narrowest commercial hammock I know of, I think it is 48" wide, but I am not certain. So the fact that this not too long and most narrow hammock rates as one of the most comfortable by some- and the most comfy overall by a very few- kind of throws all rules about length and width out the window, seems to me. Unfortunately, all an individual can really do is try sleeping in a hammock and see how it goes for that individual. And to make matters worse, I have known a few folks to be super happy with a hammock for the 1st few nights sleeping, only to become unhappy later on.

Images
    I've owned a HH and sold it. I owned a wbbb and sold it. I own a SB and have no plans to sell it.
    It is still one of my goto hammock for specific trips.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird/WB RR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AE New River MM TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Drove down yesterday to meet Dale and check out the Switchback.
    Dale is good people and hung the Switchback for me to try out. I was impressed with the attention to detail that went into the SB including the tie outs for bug net and hammock, the non-structural RL, and the storage bags.

The comfort was spot on, I felt NO calf ridge and the width was not an issue. In fact it felt just as roomy as my GT SBP. Laying on my side was just as comfortable as laying on my back and the view was great. No big wall of fabric blocking my view.

I knew I had found the double layer hammock I have been looking for and when I got home I placed my order for the SB DL and a CatCut tarp combo. Which btw is a pretty good deal considering the 15% discount with free shipping.

If your on the fence about this hammock I don't think you can go wrong. As stated in this forum many times (even by other vendors) the SB is a well kept secret for its comfort and quality. But if you're going to order do it soon before the 15% with free shipping runs out on the 15th of this month.

Should have mine in a day or two and I will try to post a review.

Thanks Dale for your hospitality (who said Southern hospitality is dead?) and time.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    The Switchback is still one of the most comfortable hammocks I have owned.

Send it off to 2QZQ for the RW mod to be able to stow the bugnetting at the foot end of the hammock so you dont always have to have it hanging over your head.

• + New Posts