Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Have the liquor stores within the mandatory 100 mile radius, been notified to bring in extra stock?
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Have the liquor stores within the mandatory 100 mile radius, been notified to bring in extra stock?

They've started doing credit and background checks when we do that now.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird DL 1.8 Blue/Black
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ (Synth)
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    They've started doing credit and background checks when we do that now.
    We're good they don't know me yet.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Show up light or heavy with cast iron boat anchor, hopefully

I will try to attend this camping trip, possibly paddle to it if there is an approximate GPS location and I can bushwhack thru cattails and wench my way across the mud etc. Only advantage there is to bring a dutch oven and pot roast or enchiladas or something like that to share. Typically this weekend is a trip to North Central New Mexico because it is a relative rainy season there in August (less dust and wildfire) but BLM permits for Rio Chama or upper Rio Grande have had most Texas residents culled out recently. Evidently the N-Mexicans dislike us Texans, something about centuries of conflict over water rights… LOL. Best to just stay put in Texas and not rattle their cages. They also freak out a bit when we hang from trees in hammocks instead of on the ground in tents and float down in canoes and kayaks in stead of hauling truckloads of gear in rafts like the outfitters with suburban tourists do. Lots of fun and laughs. Also great hikes along the ridge lines. Some other time.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Not sure that yak will be the best fit for this trip, but Sarge can give us some input as to that. The lake is small and landlocked but there was some mention about driving in some gear.

For sure bring the DO for the friday night feast when we car camp at the trail head. The thought of enchilladas has my mouth watering already.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    Not sure that yak will be the best fit for this trip, but Sarge can give us some input as to that. The lake is small and landlocked but there was some mention about driving in some gear.

For sure bring the DO for the friday night feast when we car camp at the trail head. The thought of enchilladas has my mouth watering already.

Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    I will try to attend this camping trip, possibly paddle to it if there is an approximate GPS location and I can bushwhack thru cattails and wench my way across the mud etc. Only advantage there is to bring a dutch oven and pot roast or enchiladas or something like that to share. Typically this weekend is a trip to North Central New Mexico because it is a relative rainy season there in August (less dust and wildfire) but BLM permits for Rio Chama or upper Rio Grande have had most Texas residents culled out recently. Evidently the N-Mexicans dislike us Texans, something about centuries of conflict over water rights… LOL. Best to just stay put in Texas and not rattle their cages. They also freak out a bit when we hang from trees in hammocks instead of on the ground in tents and float down in canoes and kayaks in stead of hauling truckloads of gear in rafts like the outfitters with suburban tourists do. Lots of fun and laughs. Also great hikes along the ridge lines. Some other time.
    We'll definitely know by 27 June if we have the key to the gate. That's when I can get to the USFS HQ for the Wilderness Ministry trip. If we do have the key, its your call whether or not you want to bring the kayak.

I found two videos on You Tube that show Neiderhoffer Lake, both made by a local guy name Ken Kramm.

At about 6:00 minutes into this one, he's at the shore getting water:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLBuOeWUbnY

At 8:22 he reads a poem (yah, I know) over a pan shot of the lake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUJbwrPUaPA

The video was taken in 2012 during the drought, and reports are that its a bit higher now with all the recent rain. Neiderhoffer is just a bit bigger than Hidden Lake, but longer and narrower.
    Last edited by sargevining; 06-10-2014 at 18:31.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

change of plan

I was not reading map well thought it was near lake Conroe. It might work out to leave cast iron and ice cooler in car just for Friday nite pot luck sharing. Fishing in August is a challenge but i might bring an ultra lite rod. I once caught an 11.5 lb L.M bass on U.L. gear when summer conditions and local lake were very poor. 6 lb line, took over 30 minutes to ease it in, wade fishing in shallows, folks often laugh at my gear. Last laugh is best.

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    diy multicam hex
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    DIY WS & TS
    Me + 2. Putting it on the calendar now.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird DL 1.8 Blue/Black
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ (Synth)
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    From people who say they are for sure coming I count 10 so far.

Hammock
    ENO Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    Pro Fly
    Insulation
    DIY Pod
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    I'm in for saturday with Wandermutt! I'm putting my leave app in tomorrow, goooood and early, and if it gets denied, I'll just call in dead.

Now... at the risk of sounding like a new boot buzzkill, I hike all the **** time, but this'll be my first real backpacking trip, so what should I be bringing? Could someone PM me, please?
    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views. - The Fourth Doctor

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast