Underquilt stitching & sizing question

I have made myself an underquilt that I am quite happy with using Primaloft insulation. I have a Warbonnet Black Bird hammock which I have used it with successfully. I also have a Hennessy hammock which I have not yet tried it with.

I am wondering if I can make it better. It is about 5' x 4', and I am considering cutting off 2 of the corners and sewing them on the ends to make a trapezoid, as in my first diagram. This would make it longer by using material that (I think) is currently not covering much of my body in the hammock.

Underquilt # 2 a.jpg

This would give me a longer quilt - from 5' long to about 6' 4", as shown in the second diagram.

Underquilt # 2 b.jpg

My questions: will this shape give me good coverage? Are the dimensions - especially the ends, which are about 2' wide - adequate?

And... how much of a problem would be caused by the compression of the primaloft along the stitches to attach the triangles on the ends (shown as a yellow line in the second diagram)?

Thanks so much for any expertise/opinions/suggestions.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    I like the way you think... I have often wondered why we sleep on an angle and continue to hang rectangular u/qs straight.... I like the idea of a "asym" u/q... Or hanging a standard u/q on the same diagonal that you sleep. In theory, both are great ideas. In practice...... Maybe not... I am curious.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    if your using primaloft weight cant be that much of an issue. i would keep it simple, and dont cut corners but thats just me. the desing looks good, but i think it wouldn't be so great if you toss and turn.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    and the suspention looks like it would be hard to eleminate drafts, how do you plan on attatching one?

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    SMr Nube
    Insulation
    Lewis UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    I like the way you think... I have often wondered why we sleep on an angle and continue to hang rectangular u/qs straight.... I like the idea of a "asym" u/q... Or hanging a standard u/q on the same diagonal that you sleep. In theory, both are great ideas. In practice...... Maybe not... I am curious.
    You hang your UQ straight? Just curious as to why. I've always adjusted mine so it matches my diagonal lay. Never had any drafts or cold nights.

Quote Originally Posted by nuttysquirrel View Post
    if your using primaloft weight cant be that much of an issue. i would keep it simple, and dont cut corners but thats just me. the desing looks good, but i think it wouldn't be so great if you toss and turn.
    No, weight isn't an issue, but cost is. I'm cheap, and primaloft isn't ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by nuttysquirrel View Post
    and the suspention looks like it would be hard to eleminate drafts, how do you plan on attatching one?
    I thought I'd sew grossgrain loops at a few different spots and experiment, maybe suspend from each "corner", making 6 attachment points instead of 4. I was actually hoping someone who had experience with asymmetrical underquilts might give me pointers on things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperJL View Post
    You hang your UQ straight? Just curious as to why. I've always adjusted mine so it matches my diagonal lay. Never had any drafts or cold nights.
    Can you describe how you do that? Do you have longer cord/rope on one side versus another, have asymmetrical attachment points on the underquilt, or what?

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    SMr Nube
    Insulation
    Lewis UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle/strap
    I run shock cord the length of the long ends. These ends of cord are connected to line locks on triangle things. No mid-length cord locks.
    When I lay in hammock, I slide one side towards the feet and the other towards the head, along the shock cord.

I'm thinking it has to do with not using grosgrain/line locks attached directly to the underquilt.

• + New Posts