I popped into the "Hello from TN" forum but I'd like to say a bit more here.

I enjoyed camping when I was younger - even some backpacking on the AT - but around my mid-to-late 30s I found the ground to be getting quite uncomfortable on my hips and shoulders. I turned to an air mattress, which was an improvement in some ways, but also a heat sink if you don't top it with a CCF pad. Plus it doesn't stay fully inflated.

Obviously tents provide some good privacy, good rain shelter, and mine has vestibules for muddy boots and so forth. But they do get stuffy, they're way too hot for an afternoon nap in summertime, they're heavier and so forth.

I discovered hammocking kind of by accident. I had some LLBean coupon dollars to use (or lose due to expiry) and didn't see anything else - but I could pick up a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro for very little after coupons (it would otherwise have been overpriced there). I looked into hammocking and was pretty excited to read that it has rekindled the love of camping and outdoors for many people like me who have found the ground to be too hard.

I have yet to go; I hope I get a chance to remedy that fairly soon. I just bought some suspension straps and buckles from Dutch, to replace the stock cord the SBP comes with. With a basic tarp, Ridge Rest XL and various bags from my camping days, I should be good for summer. When it cools, I might need more insulation underneath. I'd like to keep things inexpensive at least until I know how much I like it. What do you all think of either of these ideas:

A) I have 2 down bags that can zip together - I could make a "cocoon" around the hammock. I forget if there's another term for that. However, they are mummy bags and maybe that won't work so well, particularly if I don't want to cut into the foot part (I don't - not until I'm darn sure I'm not going back to tent camping).

B) What about getting a $15-20 GT Ultralight and suspending it underneath the GT SBP with one of those down bags in it, snugging it up but otherwise not really putting other weight on it?

Well, that's that. Hopefully I'll have a chance to try out my new hammock soon. Much as I want to take the advice of others to not go out without practicing in backyard first, we have way too many widowmakers here! I'll bring a tent for backup if that happens.

Advice welcome on all fronts! Thanks,

cspan

PS, I am kind of excited to be learning all sorts of knots. I never learned many as a kid, and it's really incredible to see what all you can do with cord/rope/webbing. It can be overwhelming at first, but if I just focus on what I need to do for setup. I think my favorites so far are marlinspike hitch and the alpine butterfly loop.