Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    DIY straps / Fancy
    Quote Originally Posted by Koolranch View Post
    I was in the market for a HH Hex tarp and thought I would share the details. I've always been a fan of this site (http://goinggear.com/hennessy-hex-fly.html) and they have a great price on the tarp. You can also use the discount code "ggcpf10" with no quotes and get an additional 10% off. Shipping is also free. I'm not affiliated with this outfit, I've just purchased stuff from them in the past.

Steve
    Self quote.... going gear has a new coupon code "vacation" for 15% off. The hex tarp is sold out so I emailed them to see if I could buy one and wait with the new coupon code. Btw the ggcpf10 is always good for 10% off. It brings the cost down to just over $50 and free shipping. That's a great deal.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    Asym fly 10 oz Hex fly 23 oz / If you are doing a section hike and need a lot of miles each day, use the asym. As others have said, properly oriented and staked down and close to the hammock ridgeline, you will keep dry. You will also have all the privacy you will need, as you can hang some distance from the shelters. For long distance hikes, weight is the primary concern

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird/WB RR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AE New River MM TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Self quote.... going gear has a new coupon code "vacation" for 15% off. The hex tarp is sold out so I emailed them to see if I could buy one and wait with the new coupon code. Btw the ggcpf10 is always good for 10% off. It brings the cost down to just over $50 and free shipping. That's a great deal.
    You're right, it's a great deal. After reading your first post I placed an order for the Hex and paid $53 shipped. That's less than I paid for my Gear Guide tarp which is smaller.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    DIY straps / Fancy
    They are on back order for one to two weeks. They did say today that you could order with the discount and it would ship when they cone in. I'm considering getting a second one. For 50 bucks you can't beat it.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    Hennesy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac/Owyhee
    They are on back order for one to two weeks. They did say today that you could order with the discount and it would ship when they cone in. I'm considering getting a second one. For 50 bucks you can't beat it.
    +1
    This thread is costing me money! I was pretty sure that the bigger fly wasn't needed for my Thru hike next spring but for 50 bucks.......

Quote Originally Posted by Jake2c View Post
    Want to let people know that HH is a great company. Because of a sharp zip tie on the hammock, a new set of snake skins ended up with a slice in it. Also, when I bough the hex, two of the tie lines were frayed. I sent a note today not asking for any replacements, but just to let them know that they may be able to improve in these areas. I like the hammock a lot and these are inexpensive fixes so no big deal, just a data point for them. They responded immediately, on a Sunday no less, and are sending all new tie downs and a set of snake skins. This was really not expected but any class act like that deserves to be noted. As we say in the Navy, BZ HH. Really great support.
    Update. I may have spoken to early. I love the hammock but still waiting for the replacement lines and snake skin coming up on 2 weeks. In the beginning I did not expect anything but once promised I did sort of look forward to the replacements. Thought it was a class act. Will give it another week and see what happens.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I have both the hex and the stock tarp. If you have the money, the space, and are willing to accept the weight penalty, I would definitely go with the hex. The stock tarp is fine with straight down rain, but like others have said, if it is blowing around your head and feet could get wet. Not a big deal on overnights but if you are going out for a week (or more), being wet will start to suck pretty quick. The hex tarp can also be hung on its own. I use a set of tree straps I made, and set up the hex tarp first, before hanging the hammock. Then I can stand under it and hang the hammock and unpack my stuff in dry comfort. It can also come down last, when your pack is all set up to go. I have a pic of my hammock and the hex tarp, here:

http://theosus1.wordpress.com/2014/0...trekking-pole/
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Update. I may have spoken to early. I love the hammock but still waiting for the replacement lines and snake skin coming up on 2 weeks. In the beginning I did not expect anything but once promised I did sort of look forward to the replacements. Thought it was a class act. Will give it another week and see what happens.
    Ok, the tie lines and snake skins showed up. I was hoping they would only because they gave me such a great impression on their e-mail. Nice to know they also walk the walk. BZ again HH.

Hammock
    HH Backpacker UL
    Tarp
    Oware flattarp
    Insulation
    Custom HG 40* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I spend a lot of time in the blowing rain up in the PNW. I've been using my Oware flat tarp for years now with my HH. Like others have said, run a Zing it line separately for the tarp and I use a scrubbie as a snake skin for the tarp.

I've upgraded my son's tarps with Eno Pro Fly's for their HH Scouts. With the rain and wind up here unless they get a perfect hang and coverage they tend to get wet.
    Scoutmaster, Troop 745
    Duvall, WA

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Ok, the tie lines and snake skins showed up. I was hoping they would only because they gave me such a great impression on their e-mail. Nice to know they also walk the walk. BZ again HH.
    One thing I did with the tarp was replace the stock tie out lines with nite ize reflective cord. It's thin stuff about the same diameter as the hex fly tie out cords. Makes a big difference at night wandering towards the hammock with a headlamp after putting out the fire. A fifty foot length does all four cords with extra left over for other stuff.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast