HH Expedition
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY KAQ down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Indoor Brazilian vs. Mayan Hammock Bed Replacement w/pics

My observations and setup for both a Brazilian and Mayan hammock for indoors for fulltiming. Hammockforums was a gold-mine of information for me during the planning and install of my hammocks as bed replacements. I'm paying it forward.

Hammock Specs: Double-Sized Brazilian-style Hammock by Vivre on Amazon. $59.97 - Manufacturer specs say it's 13 ft total length, my measurements were 12ft 9 inches.

Mayan Mexican Matrimonial Hammock by Breezy Point on Amazon.
    $63.99 - Manufacturer specs say it's 13.1 ft total length, it actually measured 14ft.

I chose Amazon because of Prime shipping and for hassle free returns. hammocksrada.com was cheaper (by half), but shipping was going to be $40 for two hammocks, which made the cheap hammocks just as much as Amazon's price. In case I didn't like the hammock(s), I didn't want to deal with int'l shipping back to the manufacturer. hayneedle and mexihammocks were comparable in price (~$10-$20) to Amazon. Swingsnthings and hammockboutique were about twice as much for what I observed as the same product.

Suspension: 4" 3/8 eye bolts and good ol' 3/8 solid braid nylon/poly rope from Lowe's. Put the eye bolts into the 2 x 4 header above the windows. I drilled 5/16 pilot holes into the studs, then screwed the eye bolts in using brute strength! The room it's installed in is 11 x 11, the bolts are anchored at 7'. The hang angle is around 45 degrees on both.

Hideaway system: Both hammocks have wall-mounted pulleys to pull them out of the way when not in use. The rope is anchored with a cleat on the wall.

The Brazilian: The fabric is a coarse cotton, similar to what you'd have on outdoor furniture. Not canvas, and not uncomfortable to the touch. The suspension loops on the end are cotton rope with a metal support on the inside of the loop to increase the durability of the suspension. To lay flat and comfortable in this hammock, I found that I needed a 55 degree diagonal to achieve a flat lay. I'm a side sleeper, and I found a pillow increased comfort. Due to the stiffness of the fabric, the hammock didn't support the body quite the same as a fabric with a softer hand. This created pressure on hips and shoulders, and caused my arm to go to sleep during the night. On the plus side, turning over was easy because of the solid fabric. The bed-sized pillow is very cumbersome and I'm on the hunt for something smaller. I slept with a bed quilt over top and was quite comfortable at 76 degrees.

The Mayan: 100% cotton weave, sitting in it initially, there's not a lot of confidence in all those tiny threads. I first got in it and my pocket knife clip grabbed the weave! Disaster averted, but lesson learned! Avoid grabby things like zippers, clips, hooks, and other hard protrusions. This hammock I found to be a lot more forgiving on the lay angle, mostly because it's so large and stretchy. I was able to lay comfortably from a 30 - 90 angle on this hammock. Sleeping in this one was amazing. Because of the springy weave on it, the hammock supports every curve, bump, and angle on the body with equal support. Turning over in it was a challenge because of the mesh and lack of firm support. All the material at times had you 'swimming'. It takes having confidence in the material to just turn over by pulling/pushing yourself using the weave as opposed to rolling over as you would in a bed. A pillow was an added comfort, but again, was too large and kept falling out. I had to use a quilt above and underneath me at 76 degrees as I got a little chilled in the night.

Conclusion: The Mayan is the hammock for me! I live in Texas, so the open weave is actually a benefit for keeping cool. I'm sending the Brazilian back and getting another Mayan.

See pics in the post below.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY KAQ down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    DSCF1634.JPG

This is the Brazilian, stowed away using the pulley system.

DSCF1636.JPG

Brazilian suspension 4" eye bolt and 3/8 solid braid rope.

DSCF1637.jpg

Brazilian with pulley and cleat for stowing.

DSCF1639.jpg

Brazilian hang angle (unloaded).

DSCF1652.JPG

Brazilian hammock with me in it at the 'lay flat' point.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY KAQ down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    DSCF1640.JPG

Mayan hammock stowed.

DSCF1643.JPG

Mayan stowing mechanism (same for both hammocks).

DSCF1644.JPG

The 14ft Mayan beast hang angle (unloaded).

DSCF1659.JPG

Me in the hammock at the lay flat point.

DSCF1665.JPG

The awesome support of the Mayan hammock.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Fine report. Thanks! (I bought a hammock! )

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Way cool. Thanks. I've actually never seen anyone in either of those styles.

What size! That's quite a diagonal you can get on those.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY KAQ down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I've been a long time Hennessy Hammock user (7+ years). Decided to take the plunge and full-time it. Cannibal and others have a lot of great indoor hammock advice.

Yes the diagonal is huge on those hammocks. They're much less temperamental than camping hammocks simply because they're soooo big. There's a large margin of error and generally pretty forgiving on hang angle and distance.

The husband wasn't super-keen on the idea at first, but he's coming around to the idea. The bed is staying around for a bit while we test drive, but if all goes well...I'll reclaim an entire room! Which will probably be allocated to more camping gear.

Ezbreezy, I have vario stand which can support up to 160" in length. Do you think it will support Mayan Mexican Matrimonial Hammock? You say it's 13-14' in length. I don't know how the length of the hammock equates to the length of the stand that could support it. Appreciate the response.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    KNT12/16
    Insulation
    KAQ RC 4S UQ
    Suspension
    Slings and arrows
    Congrats and nice setup. I've got a couple of high-end Mayans, huge ones. All the additional threads of the matrimonios make for a luxurious hang.
    Latest inspiration: In the dirt. Ep3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX7ieDrNvnU

Hammock
    Brazilian Organic Merlot Family
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexMorning View Post
    Ezbreezy, I have vario stand which can support up to 160" in length. Do you think it will support Mayan Mexican Matrimonial Hammock? You say it's 13-14' in length. I don't know how the length of the hammock equates to the length of the stand that could support it. Appreciate the response.
    I can't remember exactly, but I think it's a foot or so, +/- the size of the hammock. You might find an answer on one of the following sites:

www.seasidehammocks.com

http://theultimatehang.com

www.relaxinghammocks.com

Hammock
    Brazilian Organic Merlot Family
    @EZbreezy...Thanks for sharing the pics. I think how you came up with a solution to place the hammock out of the way is pretty ingenious. I currently sleep in a Mayan hammock, but I'm thinking of switching to a Brazilian when the weather gets cooler in the fall.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast