Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think the first design would work better with larger tubing which would increase the price but I think this type of structure is multifunctional as a group shelter for meals etc. I had most of these pieces already and just added the diagonal for the hammocks. I actually think it works well as a one person large stand. The tarp needs to extend beyond the sides for more hangers which they normally don't for the craft shows.
    I think I saw a HH booth once made out of wood 4x4s in the same shape but my memory on it is foggy.

For the tippy part I think as long as the person in the middle is the first to get in and the last to leave it would work or equal loading from opposite sides. Shorter legs would make it more stable too but the person in the middle might be lower than sitting height.

I'm planning to experiment with the second setup again this weekend if I have time and the weather cooperates.

I tinkered with both stands today and they both work better, the second one really well.

For the first one, I added a cross bar about 5 feet off of the ground to fix the problem of the side hammocks being too high. It worked but the connector started to slowly slide so I put a mule tape loop to the top corner.

photo (5).JPG

photo (4).JPG

The second stand I got new connectors. I was trying to get a connector with a 60 degrees angle. The only ones I found actually have 2 60 degree angles but they were only 6 dollars. the "High Pitch Peak Center with Centerpole" here http://tarps.com/chrome2.htm . The smaller angle between legs definitely helped as did the guy line as per Pips suggestion. I am very happy with this stand. The legs are 6'6" and that is a little too tall and I think about a 11' or 12' ridge pole would work better. For the kids I may made one with 5' legs. That way I can get 2 legs out of a 10' conduit piece. One or both are coming on the next car camping trip.
    photo (2).JPG

photo.JPG

If I were setting this up on concrete or I wanted extra stability I could set it up with complete triangles on each end and possibly even make the edges of a prism. Finally I was thinking of cutting off the extra connection but it might be useable to make a porch type overhang with a tarp.

photo (3).JPG

photo (1).JPG

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Hi, jbritely, I just saw your stands. I admire the ingenious design of your multi-hammock one, although it's way more than I need!
    I'm thinking of making a frame like your single stand, but with a much shorter (4 or 5 ft) ridgepole to hang a hammock chair. I only need 2 legs per stand, a short ridgepole, and maybe a bar across the back at bottom if it splays out. I doubt it will rack with such a short ridgepole. It's for inside or balcony, so I'll add rubber feet, with washers inside so the emt ends won't cut the rubber. I'll either cut off the extra connector on each end or think of something interesting to hang on it -- maybe a hanging snack tray on one side, beer on a rope on the other?! Thanks for the inspiration!
    How is your single stand holding up? Is that 1" i.d. emt likely to hold my brother at about 230 lb? I'd like to make one with a 12-ft ridgepole for him, and also use the tubing splicers at tarps.com to enlarge my chair stand into a 12-foot "guest bed" when he comes to visit. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12