Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A hammock stand or a seesaw

I've been playing with hammock stands. I have a lot of trees in my back yard but they actually aren't in a great place to hang. Also, I want to take something when I'm car camping. I made a turtle dog stand and it is fine but it only holds one and I have knocked it over moving around in my hammock. So, here are two designs I've been playing with. It is made of 1 " conduit from Home Depot and connectors from here: https://creativeshelters.com/categor...-roof-fittings

Total cost was about $140 to hang 1 large adult and 4 small people. The second version for 1 person would be about $60. They both need some refinements that could add to the cost but I think it has promise. I haven't seen anything on hf like this but if I missed it please point it out.

Here are the pics:

photo 4.JPG

The legs are 6'6" the sides are 10' and the diagonal is made of two pieces 7'1" each. The diagonal in the middle is also the most stable. I was sitting in a Grand Trunk Ultralight on one of the side with my 40 pound son on the other side in a HH. He got out with out telling me and I thought for a minute I was on a seesaw in stead of a hammock stand but it didn't flip. It just felt like it was going to flip. I think to make it more stable I could add another diagonal on the top or at the bottom. Also, for the middle hammock the 6'6" legs is about right but for the sides hammocks it is too high. My homemade bridge hammock in the back it way too high. I could add another 10' piece on the side about half way down. Maybe some weights on the bottom or some stakes to hold the frame down. Guy lines for all hammocks would be a problem since they would cross.

photo 1 (1).JPG

My tarp was too small. I just put it up for shade. I think it is 10 x 10. I think a 16 x 16 would cover everyone.

photo 1.JPG

The second one also wobbles but it held my weight and actually felt a little more stable then the turtle dog. I don't think it would be as good on a hard surface (the legs digging in the ground helped the stability). I think the 90 degree angle is too obtuse (45 each leg). I think something like 60 degress would be ideal but it isn't available. Also the ridge pole needs to be longer. If I set this up again I will borrow the 14' ridge pole from the first one. These could be chained together long wise.
    Last edited by jbritely; 06-01-2014 at 15:18.

suggestions?
    Last edited by jbritely; 06-02-2014 at 23:29.

Hammock
    HH Exped zip
    Tarp
    HH stock tarp
    Insulation
    WM CCF pad
    Suspension
    Stock suspension
    I like your multi hammock stand! I built the swing set style like your second stand, it works great. I use stakes to keep the legs from splaying out and tie it off to something to help with the wobbles. If I redesign the corner pieces so they fit tighter I think it will cure the wobbles. Here's a pic of my set up...

image.jpg

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    The second stand has only four legs?!?!? And not guyed out?!?!? No wonder it wobbles. Be careful, friend! Your multi-hammock stand is great! What fun for your family! Thanks for posting.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    The second stand has only four legs?!?!? And not guyed out?!?!? No wonder it wobbles. Be careful, friend! Your multi-hammock stand is great! What fun for your family! Thanks for posting.

The second one gets it rigidity from the connectors and the fact that each leg sunk in the grass about 1 inch. I actually like this one the best but I need to see if I can get some one to make connectors with a 60 degree angle. If you really wanted stability you could then make a triangle.

Hammock
    Mayan
    Images
    You can take a look at what I sleep in. The ridgepole isn't actually connected so the whole thing has some sway front to back, but I swung a kid side-to-side in it yesterday without any movement. My ridgepole is currently three 3 foot sections (pictures show 4, I have since shortened it) but you could use a single long pole to eliminate the middle couplings. In what I use, you can see my solution to the proper angle for the end poles.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ock-Stand-V3-2
    Tag with Home if your thread is more about home hammocks. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Henny Jenny View Post
    I like your multi hammock stand! I built the swing set style like your second stand, it works great. I use stakes to keep the legs from splaying out and tie it off to something to help with the wobbles. If I redesign the corner pieces so they fit tighter I think it will cure the wobbles. Here's a pic of my set up...

image.jpg
    Are those 90 degree angles between the legs? That looks just like what I'm working on. I've orderes some more connectors - kind of like giant tinker toys.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    The guy lines is a good idea. I will try that. thank you.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Flange (swiveled?) at base of stand poles

Quote Originally Posted by jbritely View Post
    The second one gets it rigidity from the connectors and the fact that each leg sunk in the grass about 1 inch. I actually like this one the best but I need to see if I can get some one to make connectors with a 60 degree angle. If you really wanted stability you could then make a triangle.
    Just a half baked idea of mine (not very original actually) that I have not tried out personally. To use a pipe flange either swiveled or fixed at the foot of each pipe, bolt it to a board or flat metal plate, then use ground stakes to secure this plate or board/2x4 to the ground to prevent slipping or it from digging into the soil. Also scratching floor inside home with soft carpet pad on bottom of flange/board.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/st...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.fsindustries.com/more_inf...1_flange.shtml

Your local hardware store should have cheaper flanges, I'm just to lazy to search for those and these popped up faster.

PS had an afterthought: cheap fixed metal flange with wooden wedge for 60 to 45* angle for bi or tripod to flat board, don't forget a stake or two to prevent slipping unless you must keep it free standing, then a rough or rubber/grippy texture on the bottom may work. Could every make it an adjustable angle with some ingenuity but this requires a photo.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 06-10-2014 at 10:54. Reason: PS afterthought

Hammock
    DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Tree straps w/MSH
    I've spent many hours looking for someone who's tried this very thing. I used to use this type of conduit canopy for selling my art at craft fairs and festivals. I don't have it anymore but I want to be able to hang 4 adults while camping and it seemed like a great solution if only it would support the weight.

It's interesting to hear about your experience nearly tipping over with only one hanger. I used to use 50lb weight plates tied to the bottom of the canopy legs to keep the wind from making it a kite, Wonder if that would help with the tipping?

I was also thinking of going with a larger diameter tubing. If you were doing it over again or making the stand for 4 adults would you use a larger diameter or stick with the 1"?
    ------------------------------------
    It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast