Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help me decide!!! Explorer Deluxe or Deep Jungle?? Difference?

Heya Group!... first time poster and my first Hammock-tent experience... Hopefully I can learn from you all!

So... I'm looking at small backpack excursions 1-4 days moderate climate - Southern Coast BC, Canada - the coldest I'd probably be out would be springtime/fall at lowest 10 degrees Celsius and normal summer temps. I'm really interested in trying the Hennessy experience, but I don't really know what to get.

- I'm 6'3 and about 230 pounds, moderate camping/hiking experience so the Explorer Deluxe and Deep Jungle XL seem to be my options...

- I live in rain forest country so the large Hex Fly Tarp seems appropriate. Question: Do you all recommend a separate snakeskin for the larger fly particularly if its often wet?

- What's the main difference between the Deep Jungle and Explorer Deluxe? It appears to be the double bottom for inserting the bubble pad or other insulation, correct? Is this worth the nearly $70 difference in price? I'm in mosquito country - is the Explorer & Ultralight really so thin that you can be bit through?

- As a first time Hennessy buyer, what do you guys recommend I start my experience with? Price is not a huge factor... functionality and weight are more important to me. So that also leads to your collective thoughts between the Explorer Deluxe and Ultralight! So many questions for this Noob... sorry!

Thank you group! I'm looking forward to your wisdom and advice and sharing my experience! I'm sure I will have more questions along the way.

Aaron

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    My first hammock was a bottom entry explorer deluxe with an asym tarp. I got a lot of good use out of that hammock for about a year. Most of my experiences were in moderate weather.

I really did not like the bottom entry though. That's my opinion. Others have theirs. It was hard to get situated on top of a pad. I also didn't like the loud Velcro first thing in the am or late night nature calls.

I've now replaced my HH setup with all DIY. I used 1.6 argon from Dutch to make a single layer hammock. That was easy: just hem the outside. I also made a 12'x10' hex tarp out of dutch's 1.1 silnylon. That was a little tougher, but I got it done in a solid weekend. Finally, I bought some 0.75oz noseeum netting from ripstopbytheroll. That was an easy project too. Before this I had zero sewing experience. The result is pretty good gear at 1.5 pounds lighter than my HH setup for less $.

This doesn't really answer your questions directly, but it is something to think about.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I have a Deep Jungle XL and I had an Explorer UL. I love the Deep Jungle material and the double layer. I had the 2QZQ zipper mod done on mine to make it so the netting can be zipped all the way off when there are no bugs to bother me. It is a great hammock. The UL was nice too, but I didn't keep it. I prefer the Deep Jungle over the UL. That is just me though. I don't use the double bubble pad as it is bulky. The Deep Jungle XL is not a light weight hammock though, so keep that in mind if you will be backpacking. Good luck to you, and I hope this info helps.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WB BB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0º Toaster Down UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Help me decide!!! Explorer Deluxe or Deep Jungle?? Difference?

Quote Originally Posted by amjpro View Post
    Heya Group!... first time poster and my first Hammock-tent experience... Hopefully I can learn from you all!

So... I'm looking at small backpack excursions 1-4 days moderate climate - Southern Coast BC, Canada - the coldest I'd probably be out would be springtime/fall at lowest 10 degrees Celsius and normal summer temps. I'm really interested in trying the Hennessy experience, but I don't really know what to get.

- I'm 6'3 and about 230 pounds, moderate camping/hiking experience so the Explorer Deluxe and Deep Jungle XL seem to be my options... I don't have a Deep Jungle so I cannot comment on that but I do enjoy my Explorer Deluxe.

- I live in rain forest country so the large Hex Fly Tarp seems appropriate. Question: Do you all recommend a separate snakeskin for the larger fly particularly if its often wet? I use the snakeskin for my Hex Fly Tarp. It lets me pack it separately when it is wet and can be set up first when it is raining.

- What's the main difference between the Deep Jungle and Explorer Deluxe? It appears to be the double bottom for inserting the bubble pad or other insulation, correct? Is this worth the nearly $70 difference in price? I'm in mosquito country - is the Explorer & Ultralight really so thin that you can be bit through?I have a side entry and I use the HH Super Shelter for bottom insulation - works well for me plus mosquitoes are not going to bite through that.

- As a first time Hennessy buyer, what do you guys recommend I start my experience with? Price is not a huge factor... functionality and weight are more important to me. So that also leads to your collective thoughts between the Explorer Deluxe and Ultralight! So many questions for this Noob... sorry!

Thank you group! I'm looking forward to your wisdom and advice and sharing my experience! I'm sure I will have more questions along the way.

Aaron
    My comments are intermixed with your questions.

I have both a WB BB 1.7 with SuperFly (with a complete Dutchware Suspension system) and the HH Explorer Deluxe plus the Hex Fly (I use Dutchware only on the tarp). I enjoy both of my hammocks but find the Hennessy hammock easier to set up with less fiddle factor. String it tight between two trees, add two tie out stakes, and you are done (plus the tarp of course). The SuperShelter will be more than enough bottom insulation for where you are hiking and hanging and it adds another 5-minutes set-up time - under cover, Hennessy pad, and space blanket (packing the SuperShelter in its original package can be done but that takes practice!). I have a Hammock Gear 0° Incubator on the WB BB and I while it is awesome, I don't think I would want down insulation in the damp/very wet coastal climate you will be in much of your time. I also have zero experience hanging and hiking on the west coast of Canada, so I am sure others can and will comment on using down in a rain forest. If you want a synthetic underquilt, Arrowhead Equipment makes one specifically for the Hennessy Hammock and it is very reasonably priced.

Enjoy yourself. Cheers
    Last edited by Alpine Dad; 05-27-2014 at 11:17.

Thanks a lot for the comments so far... After looking at several YouTube videos I think I like the side zip option over the bottom Velcro entrance having not tried either - just my initial feeling. I'm a long way from any mods or home-builds!

I don't think I'll be doing any really cold camps, so I'm wondering if the Deep Jungle with its double bottom would be enough rather than getting The Explorer Deluxe and Super Shelter? Isn't that part of the point of the Deep Jungle? That you can insert the BubblePad or or other insulation in the bottom?

If I get the Hex Fly and anticipate wet conditions it sounds like the second SnakeSkin would be handy then.

Thanks all... any more input or thoughts are welcome for this newbie!!

Good to see another Canadian getting into hammocking!

I've got the HH Explorer Deluxe Zip (I'm 6'1" and 210lbs) and recently decided to get a Simply Light Designs double layer hammock precisely for the reasons that you're talking about. I didn't want mosquitos biting through the bottom of my single layer Explorer Deluxe and I wanted an easier way to lay on a pad. The double layer seems to be a good fit so far but we'll see how it goes.

So are mosquitoes biting through the Explorer Deluxe a real problem? I'm assuming the Explorer Ultralight may be thin enough to be vulnerable, but the Deluxe too?

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    One thing about the mossies that you can do is spray the hammock bottom with a permethrin insecticide. Once it's dry it's safe for you for many washings. Really keeps them from biting through. I'm in Saskatchewan and we have the bug problem too. I run two DIY hammocks. A 11ft single layer I made and a double layer 11ft. Bugnet and tarp and your good to go out there.

Hammock
    HH UL Expl, Expd, WBBB XL, homemade
    Tarp
    Hex, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HHSS or Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    Straps or whoopies
    Definitely go with the hex for BC. I got the explorer with hex combo some 10 years ago - but for camping out in SE Asian jungles. Also been hanging in malarial areas in Africa, but not had any mozzies biting through the single skin fabric.

Here in BC, I've had to resort to a supershelter - no way the bugs will get through that, but have a few bites if lying against the bug net.

I keep the hammock and SS in the same snakeskins, the insulation in a separate stuff sack and the tarp in the double ended stuff sack that the supershelter came in.

Thanks TreeDangle... So keeping in mind, I don't expect to do very cold camps... Do you guys think the Explorer Deluxe with SuperShelter makes more sense than a Deep Jungle with the BubblePad and a decent sleeping bag? I also don't want to pack a whole lot of stuff - but I don't wanna freeze either!

I'm already sold on the Hex Fly for my region as I will likely see rain on my journeys.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast