Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Do yourself a favor if you are packing any distance by going for an Explorer Ultralight. Side-entry is an option. It is lighter and less bulky than the Deluxe or DJXL. The lighter hammock has a tighter weave, making it much harder for insects to bite through. The UL version its made from more expensive but lighter materials in the fly and suspension, not just the bottom. Hubby HATES the side entry. I find good and bad points to both. If you don't mind the bulk and weight of the DJXL, you could go with it, but understand that you can put two Radiant pads in between layers or one Radiant pad and a very thin, as an Gossamer Gear Thinlight
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    HH UL Expl, Expd, WBBB XL, homemade
    Tarp
    Hex, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HHSS or Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    Straps or whoopies
    I haven't tried the deep jungle, so can't comment on that. You definitely need some form of insulation and standard sleeping mats really don't work - too narrow and you'll slide off it during the night. Never tried an UQ, but wonder how they would work after a good BC monsoon event.

Having said this, the SS isn't perfect. I have the bottom entry explorer and the SS is not a slick product that aligns up seamlessly with the hammock. When I first put it on, I thought that I'd the wrong size as the slots didn't align perfectly and the insulation mat shock cord loops didn't match up exactly with the hammock tie outs, but having watched tom's video of the set up in detail, it looks like this "nearly fits" is standard. I suspect it would work better for the zip variety.

Also the insulation could soak up water like a bath sponge, so you really really need to work hard to keep it dry. Furthermore, it seems quite fragile and I wonder how long it'll last. But if it's dry, not full of holes and you've tweeked the shockcords so that it lies asymmetric, it keeps you warm.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Either one would work but you need to consider weight if you are carrying it. I do not think you will find the double layer alone sufficient insulation. Un padded cloth does not do much as insulation. It's the trapped air that is not free to circulate that does the trick. Foam or down or pads of polyester thread or whatever all serve to trap the air. A down bag is almost useless and a polyfill not much better as the stiffer fibers do not collapse as much as down. 10 deg C is roughly 50 deg F so you will be cold. The bottom limit seems to be 70-75 F. You can do the conversion.

You also want the tarp in a separate bag as it will often be wet and you do not want to transfer that moisture to the hammock or the contents of your pack. You also want the freedom to pitch the tarp on it's own. It makes setups and teardowns in the rain a lot easier. You also might want to think about a small separate cook tarp. 5x7 sil does not weigh much but does a lot to reduce cooking under your tarp with the smells and animal attraction.

Snakeskins make furling the tarp easy on a sunny day and putting it in it's bag somewhat easier. The problem becomes the packed shape. If you are using a pack with pad straps consider using a stuff sack made for sleeping pads as the long thin shape strapped to the outside is easy to accommodate. You can put a Black Bishop hole in the bottom and never take the bag off the suspension on a trip. ;-)

Whatever you do have fun doing it. That is the secret!
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    I have the HH Explorer Deluxe and SS system from HH and with the SS I have never had any problems with bug bits. But I would up grade to the Safari just due to your height and it would pyrovide a little flatter lay plus it comes with a Hex tarp. Also, I added the 2QZQ due to my bottom entry but I would buy the side zip model as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12