hot weather/bugs recommendations

Well I've only been on this forum a couple of days but everything I see is pointing me to the Warbonnet Blackbird. I already have a Kelty Noah's Tarp 9, which from what I have read should be adequate to get me started anyway, (Thoughts?). I'm primarily a left side sleeper, so it looks like the standard set-up should work for me, (Correct?). I am wondering about single/double thickness recommendations. I will hang mostly in hot, muggy, buggy east Tennessee, and value both breathability and "Sting-through-ness," which looks like they may be at odds with each other. Suggestions?

Images
    I think the dbl layer will breath well enough, but I can't say that a single layer might not breath better. Some have said that the dbl layers are all that is needed to keep insects at bay. But I have not tested it myself without Permethrine spray on the outside. One thing you will have to look out for even with a dbl layer is making sure that some part of your bod does not end up laying on a part of the hammock that is not dbl layer.

The standard set up should work for you.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    A double layer will keep you bite free for sure. A single layer treated with Permethrin will keep you 99% bite free. It takes a few seconds for the Permethrin to kill mosquitoes, so a few very motivated ones may find enough time to get through to you, but not many. I can usually hear the swarm below an untreated hammock as they try to get through the double layer. I hear nothing my forest sounds when hanging in a treated hammock. I think the word gets out quickly in the bug community.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    JRB-Mt. Washington
    I went with the double layer 1.1 Blackbird so I'd have a pad pocket. I barely had it a month when I ordered a underquilt so the pad pockets wasn't so important.

I don't think at this point I'd change it as I just love it so much as it is.

Oh and it's pretty buggy here too (Kentucky), I sprayed it with Permethrin and haven't had an issue.

• + New Posts