Hammock
    Tablecloth
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Newbie - How long to trust Turtledog stand and hammock?

I'm totally new to hammocking and this is a definite newbie question. I bought a WBBB off of Craigslist and after my camping trip fell through, decided to make Turtledog stands so I could use my hammock before the next time I can plan to get to the woods. I'm not very good at DIY, but I'm always optimistic :-) I got the TD stands made with the help of a friend and after doing a fair bit of troubleshooting, I have gotten them to stay still and let me get into the hammock (at first, the back legs on one side kept levitating off the floor). I have managed to get in the hammock (with lots of pillows underneath in case of failure) and lay reasonably flat. All seemed reasonably stable with little to no bowing of the ridge pole. However, I can't imagine relaxing enough to go to sleep! What's the best way to acclimate to trusting 6 2x2's and an overhead pole? How long has it taken folks to adapt to inside stands when first using them? I didn't expect this! Thanks!

If you don't trust your woodwork NOW when it's brand new, I'm not sure it will ever get better.

Wood ages, dries out, splits. Nothing that I've ever built, from a sawhorse to a tree house, has ever gotten STRONGER with age.

Just my 2/100 of a buck.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by nc_robin View Post
    ...What's the best way to acclimate to trusting 6 2x2's and an overhead pole? How long has it taken folks to adapt to inside stands when first using them? I didn't expect this! Thanks!
    It took a few hangs for me to get used to and to trust the equipment. However, even after using a variety of turtlelady stands and DIY bridge hammocks occasionally outside for a long time before I set one up inside to replace my bed, trust issues came back. Once I started hanging full time, with the frequent use, I found that every little creek and noise caught my attention for awhile and inspections became more frequent. The minimum strength "tree straps" got replaced with ones of better quality, etc.

Give yourself a few hangs to build confidence...heck, I wouldn't trust it either if you built it.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    nc_robin, do you have retaining lines on the legs to keep them from spreading? Also make sure that the suspension between the hinge and pole are hanging plumb. If they aren't plumb they will tend to pull the legs up. Mine doesn't get used much, just during travels, and I been in it for a week in VA with no concerns.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Tablecloth
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I did the hppyfngy version of the Turtledogs, so I have cut angles at the top of the 2x2s. I also have rubber feet on the bottom of the legs. I do plan on adding the spread limiters just for good measure. The leg was lifting up because the connection between the stand and the pole was causing the line to slide inwards on the pole (I'm not describing it very well) and thus the point where the pole attached was forward of the center spot. Once I redid those connections so that the pole stayed centered under the stand, the leg stayed put. I have to come up with a better solution for attaching my hammock to the pole, but I believe it's now properly positioned. I guess it's a matter of testing it out and easing in.... Thanks!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Glad you found the problem of the lifting leg. Now, get some spread limiters to help remove some other possible problems. Remove anything that keeps you concerned and keeping you from enjoying the hang.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Tablecloth
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks. Time has helped a lot. Getting my 'hammock-legs'. Now trying to determine where the best place is in the house to leave it up to keep acclimating - at least some place with fewer problems than the living room. Thanks for all the advice.

Hammock
    Tablecloth
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If any other newbies come across this thread, the answer to the original question is 'not long.' I had to take down my set up a couple weeks ago and just got it back up 2 nights ago, slept both nights in the hammock and love it. Still dialing things in (hammock only hangs 12 inches off the floor which should be solved with a shorter ridge pole) but overall very pleased. As has been stated over and over here, it has helped my lower back/hip issues tremendously. Thanks for all the advice/info I've gotten from this site!

• + New Posts