Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp

DD Bergen Rucksack

Here are several links to reviews of the Bergen Rucksack by DD hammocks. The Action Pack that can be ordered as part of the Superlight combo attaches to this pack with "Velcro."

Forrester Buscraft 8:43 min review
    http://youtu.be/UfqNvAtj0oA

Fozz of Forrester Bushcraft. 9:56.p mins. Detailed review of Action Pack and how it (and other pockets) can attach to the Bergen Rucksack

http://youtu.be/ISDCFQn41tI

Forrester Bushcraft 13 min - What I keep in my (Bergen) Backpack:
    http://youtu.be/haBDx8wFBbs

This is a shock cord mod to keep the side pockets flush with the pack
    http://youtu.be/rNZB1n6cP20

8 min review in German
    http://youtu.be/4gz0U_Xr1Ho

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    I was confused because I saw a YouTube on a Snugpack Bergen pack that was 100L. Penny of DDH explained that they used to sell Snugpack products but there is no longer any affiliation.

She also said that the Bergen is used as a generic term for rucksacks and theirs is differentiated by being called the DD Bergen. Guess what I've ordered from me to me for my birthday? . Original plan was to pair the Superlight hammock gear in the Action Pack with my GG Miniposa. Bit concerned about the weight but it should be offset by the extreme weight reduction of the Superlight gear.

Also ordered the 4 smaller pockets and their sleepsack. Because I'm so short (5') the ability to extend outwards is better than a too-long pack. Found out that you can order a free DD decal/sticker with each order.

Origins are military packs based on one that came out of Bergen, Norway.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/SAS-PARA-B...3065059/g.html

Hammock
    DD Frontline Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Do you know how much the DD Bergen Rucksack weighs? Maybe I am overlooking it, but I don't see it.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    The main pack with the Action Pack and the two side pockets is listed as 1.5 kg which, when multiplied by 2.2 = 3.3 lbs.

The fabric is rubberized on the interior so quite water resistant. They are meant to be rugged.

Hammock
    DD Frontline Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Cool. Thank you.

I wonder if the DD Underblanket would fit in one of the side pockets. I know I saw someone post on here that it will not fit in the action pack with the rest of the UL gear. I am intrigued by this whole setup.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    That was me. Naaah. Even tho my pack hasn't arrived (due tomorrow!) I do have their UB and I'm sure it won't fit in a side pocket. I saw a video that said the Superlight tarp and Superlight hammock (not sure if net as well) will fit in one of the side pockets.

My Snugpack Tropical sleeping bag did not fit in the center pocket of the Action Pack. Doubt that my Feathered Friends Rock Wren bag will fit either. So, UB and sleeping bag in main pack. That leaves plenty of pockets for keeping the rest separated.

I might try to add either a mesh pocket or, more likely, crisscross some shock cord (by attaching to webbing) to shove a wet tarp.

Hammock
    DD Frontline Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Did you get the pack? What do you think?

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    EEK. I had lock rotation off. Guess I need to physically rotate the iPad. Pl tap on pix to rotate. This is so annoying as it looks fine to me when. I post. Sorry)

Here we go. The overall bad news is that there is a weight penalty. I used a standard 12 fl. oz soda (actually mango juice and coconut water - I live in Miami!) for size relativity as well as for volume capacity. The good news is that, if so inclined, you could fit 5 cans of beer in the lid and 5 cans of beer in each of the side pockets, as well as in each of the additional pockets! Workmanship is high and the look is sharp.

Measuring was a bit difficult because the pack wasn't fully stuffed so the measurements could extend. The pack itself measures: the back panel is 10" wide from seam to seam, side is about 6.5" but the front panel is one wrap around so it would push out a lot when full. Height was ab 20" but extended to 21.5" when I shoved 5 cans in the lid.

Attachment 87122

It was hard to weigh the empty pack. I reckon between 1 lb 1 Oz and 1 lb 5 Oz. Fluctuated!

Attachment 87126

Here's a look at the inside with the Underblanket at the bottom. You can see the "rubberized" interior and that the seams are "taped."

Attachment 87127

The side pockets are 5.5" wide, 3"'deep but 4" after I put the 5 cans in, and 12"'high. My scale was fluctuating and I kept reweighing (I'm going to get another scale to double check later). 5 oz each.

My biggest disappointment was that I didn't bother to convert the metric measurements given in the website for the additional pockets. They looked small and I thought I might as well go for it while ordering. I thought they would be suitable for camera, cellphone, and a few other things. In fact they are the same as the two side pockets but 2" shorter.

I don't know why they sell them in a set if four. I think it looks a bit silly with all the pockets. I would have liked two 8" high to put above the Action Pack. Unfortunately, the webbing goes in the wrong direction but I fudged it by putting the inside Velcro in the top buckle/loop. Photo later.

Attachment 87123

Going to post this and continue.
    Last edited by sandykayak; 06-05-2014 at 15:08.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Here's the photo with two additional 10""pockets added to the 12" side pockets, and two 10" pockets jury-rigged onto one webbing and the loop-buckle in the middle. I think it looks stoopid!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    In conclusion, and taking into consideration my height (5'), I like the fact that the DD Bergen is quite compact (IIRC I saw/ read that best fit for 14-16" torso), and I can get additional storage by going outward and not down below my butt. But I'm really concerned about the weight of the pack with bags. The Adventure Pack itself weighs about 15 oz. Following photo is from DDH site

Attachment 87133

Another thing that concerns me a bit is the fact that the pack itself is "rubberized" inside, but would that be enough to put my down sleeping bag without additional protection? I think not. The pack zippers are covered (and it's a bit fiddly to turn the fabric up in order to slide the zips), which is good rain protection but then I noticed that the zips on the Action Pack are completely exposed, so a pack cover will be essential, thus negating the advantage (and weight penalty) of the "rubberized" interior. Or make a mini pack cover for the Action Pack!

This pack comes with an elasticized sternum strap and a waist belt - not a hip belt (not at all flattering on short, chunky women with large chests!). I did not like the inability to easily loosen and tighten the waist belt. The way the strap is wrapped over the buckle requires one to push and pull the webbing. You can't just tug on the tail to tighten.

I have several bucket-list trips that require plane, train, and/or bus, travel and think this combo would work since it wouldn't be the same as carrying a pack exclusively and for extended periods.

One option is to replace the Action Pack with two additional pockets in order to save weight. I guess the bottom line is that the modular construction allows one the flexibility to mix and match or leave and take different items for different trips. I'd love to know why they sell the additional pockets in sets of four.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast