Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If you have not tried one yet, check out their amazing chairs. I forgot the name of them, but they are under 2# and amazingly comfortable! Two friends have them, and I do not...yet. so jealous when we get to camp and I gotta find a rock or log.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pkupmn98 View Post
    If you have not tried one yet, check out their amazing chairs. I forgot the name of them, but they are under 2# and amazingly comfortable! Two friends have them, and I do not...yet. so jealous when we get to camp and I gotta find a rock or log.
    I usually bring my Grand Trunk to lounge in. Easy up and down setup. Thanks though. I will take a look.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    HH Explorer, 2 or 3 others
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Pads + Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    Stock (for now)
    +1on the chair idea. Beats sitting on a ccf pad on a boulder after 10 miles on you feet...

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I am i a similar place as the OP. Most of what I want or plan to purchase next comes from cottage industry folks. I think I own everything I ever needed for outdoor gear that REI carries, (not everything I ever wanted though), so I ordered an extra pair of Sahara pants that were on sale, a few MH meals, and a couple of backpacks for my dogs.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Bio light stove! I use mine all the time. It's no jetboil. But it's really handy. Works like a furnace. Burns so hot it won't soot up your pots. And you can charge things with it while you cook. They have a new big one coming out soon as well.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    pkupmn98, which type of chair are you talking about? I'm looking to buy a small chair, and I'll probably just go with something that gets rave reviews from someone on here. I'm wondering if you are talking about the REI stool, or one of those Therm-a-rest Trekker chairs that only works if you insert a pad into it, or one of those stadium-looking chairs where only straps hold the back up (similar to the Trekkers, but doesn't need a pad inserted).

Gracias.

Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    If you do want to cook, going with a small canister stove (Soto makes some nice ones) and something like one of the GSI cooksets (pick the one to best suit your needs) might be good.
    In my experience GSI products are junk. I don't understand why this is constantly recommended.

GSI has alot of very gimmicky features that dont really add anything useful. First off this cookset comes with a very narrow pot. This is great for boiling water, but for any kind of cooking, what you end up with is burnt on the bottom, uncooked on top. This also makes serving and cleaning more difficult as well as trying to sit it on rocks over a cookfire.

This brings me to my next qualm about GSI. You'll only be able to cook over a camp stove. They love to use plastic. Plastic on everything. not just any plastic, the cheapest flimsy soft plastic that literally goes limp when it's warmed up. Their pot lids are plastic, they coat the handles in plastic. Trying to cook over a fire with plastic bits results in melted and burnt plastic bits, so that's out of the question.

Now a little more about this plastic they make everything from, their bowls that usually come with the kits, their utensils ans serving utensils and cutting board... all made of the same poorly selected soft limp plastic. Trying to serve anything or flip anything with their serving spoon or spatula is tricky when the handle bends and droops under the weight of the food.

GSI uses very poorly conceived designs for their gear. Aside from poor material selection and pot dimensions and using plastic in places they shouldn't, they like to get cute with their gimmicky folding doodads. Let me tell you this stuff is ALL gimmick. These folding features create more of a problem than they solve. They use extra material to make it fold up compactly however these joints weaken the integrity of the handles which are already limp as a noodle to begin with given the soft plastic they're made of. The other thing this makes a nightmare is cleanup. There are ridges and holes and little spaces for food to get stuck and hide. Over a several day trip, this gets NASTY.

Another testament to brilliant design is their cutting board, which again is made of the same soft junk plastic which would be fine if they didn't have the other bright idea of rolling it up in the kit for compactness. So you've got a soft rolled up piece of plastic that will never roll out flat. you're either cutting on top of a spring that launches your food everywhere as you try to cut, or its rocking all over the place again spilling your food everywhere as you chop.

I don't think that the GSI cooksets have a single redeemable quality aside from their stackability, but any well thought out cookset will do this anyway.

Hammock
    WBRR, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Quilts and pads
    Images
    Not sure if you have used all your refund back yet, but you can always buy nothing and ask for it in cash in June. That was you can spend it outside of REI. Just a thought.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    if it were me and i had a couple hundred in dividends and their 30% off anniversary coupon (which i realize is expired now) i would go big and get car roof cargo box.......but that's just me and what i am planning for next years dividend purchase

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    Monarch Alite camp chair. 17oz of awesomeness! Bought one with my rei points this year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast