Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk SB Pro

Looking for tips for warm/hot weather camping.

I'm from Texas and am wondering how others deal with the hot conditions when camping. Obviously, hammock camping is good for this because you have airflow under you at night. Do you bother to use an underquilt or have any input? Much appreciated!

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    During summers here in WI I usually use a puffer jacket UQ, even most hot humid days have relatively cool nights. Most of the time I pull it off to the side when I turn in for the night, and pull it under the hammock when or if I get cold. Around 70 degrees or so there is enough heat loss from underneath to warrant some sort of insulation.

I plan to try this http://theultimatehang.com/2013/02/d...eather-shield/ this summer to see if it adds enough warmth. I carry the poncho anyways and have hung it over my ridgeline on cold spring/fall nights and it seems to retain quite a bit if heat as an overcover, so I think it should work as a warm weather UQ.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Suspension
    Dutch, always.
    I'm not saying I've used this, but this is what I'm going to make for my upcoming summer hang (6 days) in St Louis. Which as you know, Midwest weather is usually 100% humidity and 85-10x temps during the day and 6x-7x at night.

http://theultimatehang.com/2013/01/d...ew-and-no-sew/

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    First, Welcome to the forums, from hot and humid Florida (home of the heatwave hang). Actualy, the "No underquilt hang"

You always want to pay attention to the weather forcast for the area your hanging in. A lot of folks start getting cool below 70-75. If there is a constant breeze under your tarp, use the higher 75* due to convection heat loss. A light UQ or windproof UQ liner, UQ protector, weathershield, etc. will help a lot. Even a poncho used as a UQP will keep the chill off.

You could also use a fleece blanket for your TQ and put under you when the morning chill hits. That's what I do in summer.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

I have done little hammock camping but read Ed Speers book years ago and made all the stuff. I always found that I felt hot and sweaty just trying to stay protected from the bugs. I would suggest just the bug screen gives enough weather protection

Hammock
    Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap

Looking for tips for warm/hot weather camping.

My number one tip for summer camp is to pack up before sun up and eat.
    Any later and you'll be sweating up a storm.

Get a more breathable bugnet with bigger holes than usual and get it treated.

Hammock
    DIYing 2 tablecloths, 2 argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Mod of DIY OGEE?
    Insulation
    old pad for now
    Suspension
    DIY straps, whoops
    Images
    N0Bear, welcome. I'm always looking for tips on dealing with heat and such so no wonder I clicked on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    During summers here in WI I usually use a puffer jacket UQ, even most hot humid days have relatively cool nights. Most of the time I pull it off to the side when I turn in for the night, and pull it under the hammock when or if I get cold. Around 70 degrees or so there is enough heat loss from underneath to warrant some sort of insulation.

I plan to try this http://theultimatehang.com/2013/02/d...eather-shield/ this summer to see if it adds enough warmth. I carry the poncho anyways and have hung it over my ridgeline on cold spring/fall nights and it seems to retain quite a bit if heat as an overcover, so I think it should work as a warm weather UQ.
    Quote Originally Posted by elricfate View Post
    I'm not saying I've used this, but this is what I'm going to make for my upcoming summer hang (6 days) in St Louis. Which as you know, Midwest weather is usually 100% humidity and 85-10x temps during the day and 6x-7x at night.

http://theultimatehang.com/2013/01/d...ew-and-no-sew/
    Thanks, Goobie and elricfate -- been thinking I could multi-use my oversize poncho for now, at least before the temps drop this fall and I have to get serious about UQ.

Delita
    Last edited by hikerdelita; 05-25-2014 at 00:14. Reason: oops

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I bring a small fleece blanket. Use between me and hammock when the back gets cold. And a 50 degree bag that weighs about a pound(no clue what brand).

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Don't rule out pads. I've been using this one http://www.rei.com/product/829826/th...g-pad#specsTab with good results. The blue walmart ccf pads work well too.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

HOT weather camping, TX

I camp in Texas throughout the summer when daytime temps are well over 100*F and nights never go below 85*F and it is often very humid. This is actually fairly comfortable compared to the Amazon Jungle where I grew up and sweated 12 months a year. This is part of my solution:
    HammockFan1.jpg

Use a battery powered fan suspended from ridge line to keep the bugs off you, and possibly a sheet over your feet. Fan is black and round while the battery pack is white and hanging at the head of the hammock and lasts for several nights 8D cells. The hammock is cotton (purchased in Brazil, but available online in USA) and breaths better than nylon or polyester (which sticks to sweaty skin), thick enough to prevent mosquitos from biting through the bottom but another fan blowing from below would be great, or a layer of bug net attached below would be enough. Basically I am trying to get as much air flow as possible. Also note the tarp is raised as high as possible to allow maximum air flow, but still block the pecan sap (aphids) and squirrels from dropping nuts and acorns on me, bird droppings. I always hope for rain, but will take a dip in the river or bathe with a bag of water just before going to sleep to wash the sweat and bug spray off and then stand in front of the fan to dry off. This photo is obviously at a car camping campground but this also works for canoe/kayak camping, it is not as easy for backpacking but there are some fairly small fans for that. I have one that only takes 4 C batteries and lasts for about 2 nights. When the night time lows get below 75*F I will use a bug net because there is a lot of West Nile virus in the area but thankfully not any Malaria or Dengue Fever yet, life is good and so much easier here in Texas. Basically a bed of roses compared to my childhood.

BTW I recommend wearing at least a loincloth so if the other campers in the area call the local sheriff on you, because you are so much more cool and comfortable than them in their hot and sweaty tents, you will not be arrested for public nudity. Word to the wise! I like to pretend in do not speak english and do some Shaman rituals, neighbors rarely stay a second night, OH I'm only joking...
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 05-25-2014 at 13:15. Reason: fixed photo attachment

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast