Choosing my next set?

Hello all, I was wondering if I could garner some advice from all the wise people here at the forums? First a little info, I have three hammocks as of now, I have a Zeno single, and double nest. It's an honest toss between which I like more, as they are both amazingly comfy in my mind! I nap/relax in my eno every day while on breaks at work (my boss thinks it's hilarious, and I have convicted some co-workers of their value!) I also have a ultralight backpacker Hennessy which I use for my weekend backpacking trips down in PA (I'm from medina ohio myself) and while it works well, and I sleep well enough in it, it just doesn't compare to the comforts I feel in my Eno's. That and the weight of the hammock, straps, and tarp is higher than I would like, I currently use the descent ring method of hanging for convenience, which I know adds extra weight, while I like the build in bugnet on the Hennessy, and the rope set up is nice, it's just not as comfy, nor as convenient for lounging as compared to the Hennessy, so I am interested in trying new things. I am particularly interested in giving. Diy a shot, with the goal in mind of making it as light as possible, while hopefully retaining a comfort comparable to using a Eno Single nest, and preferably a rectangle tarp so I can make a pavilion when wanted.
    This is where I get lost, with all of the options available to me have my head spinning before I can think. I have browsed to Diy stickies, and looked at the pages, but I confess to wanting some advice, I tried a few searches (probably poorly) and decided to just add another "help me thread" to the list.

Long story short:
    I'm looking for advice on diy (or vendor) options for a hammock system that can have similar comfort to a Eno, perhaps with bugnetting like a Hennessy, and for a rectangle tarp as well. I would love to do all of this with things like silnylon for weight savings, and to continue using the rings through rope system (no knots)

Thanks anybody who made it through all that and who chooses to try helping such a helpless fool as me.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    any one of these fine vendors would love to take your money and deliver a great product . https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...s-and-Services

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    I'll vote for the diy route. My most comfortable hammock is the 11' one I made out of some sort of 1.8/1.9 ACU camo fabric. It is a very soft fabric, without that rip-stop nylon type feeling. The extra length and generous width of the material gives me tons of space to get comfortable. This is a big hammock yet weighs ~14 oz in the bag.
    You should check the fabric page and comfort rating chart on the Dream Hammocks page for guidance on fabric selection for your weight

It is a fairly simple project - you'll need 4 yds of material. I went with a single layer and used the full width of the material. Rolled a hem along both long sides, made a wider hem at the ends with a couple rows of stitching. Put a short length of thin cord thru the end channels and cinched it up, tied off the cord behind the resulting knot and - done.
    I added the knotty mod at the foot end which really helped my comfort - gets rid of some extra fabric flop and helps keep the TQ or sleeping bag in the hammock - this was just melting 2 holes in the hem (or 2 button holes before you hem the sides) and threading some thin shock cord thru the channel.
    You will really need to figure out what type of suspension works best for you. Do you want the convenience/ease of a strap type system with a small increase in size and weight or do you want to move to whoopie/UCR + tree strap type of suspension which is slightly smaller and lighter.
    I like them both, so here is my solution.
    Each of my hammocks has a 8-12" amsteel continuous loop larksheaded to the end (behind the knot) to act as a suspension attachment point. Each of my suspensions (yes, I have several ) ends in a dutch hook. This gives me several benefits: 1) I keep my hammock and suspensions separate - I don't have to put a wet suspension in with my dry hammock. 2) I can mix and match which hammock and suspension I want to take easily, they just clip on. 3) the dutch hook acts as a drip break so water won't run down the suspension lines.
    The down side is you have to buy a set of hooks for each suspension you want to use - note you can do this without the hooks, you can just larkshead the suspension to the continuous loop, but is harder to disconnect.

I hope this helps and you should spend some time poking around the Dream Hammock site - you might just find something that catches your eye, don't hesitate to give Randy a call - He can really help weed through all the choices.
    good luck

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    diy is great to, if you have the skills and thread injector

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Well, since you said, "next set" I'll throw in the link to what I've just ordered: DD Hammocks SuperLight Range combo. This includes hammock, net, tarp, and adventure bag for $249, which includes very fast shipping via Fedex from the UK. Hammock on the smallish side (but I'm looking to reduce volume and weight from my Switchback) and I opted to pay the $28 (ouch) for the biners instead of using the included soft shackles.

The net has no zippers and can be slid off to one end for netless use - has drawstring to bring it close to the underside of hammock.

I also ordered their underblanket for $95. It has 8 attachment points that match up with loops on the hammock.

Total is $372 shipped and you get to choose the design of the free DDH T-shirt. They accept the usual cards and Paypal (Used birthday money for this special treat)

The bag itself can be used as a waist pack, or attached to your pack via velcro (fits their rucksack) with some possible jury-rigging, weighs 15 oz., and there is room in the main body for a small sleeping bag, (but not their underblanket).

They have just added US (oz) weights and will be adding our dimensions. See discussions in the DD Hammocks subforum and google to see youtube videos. One is 22 minutes and includes demo of the underblanket.

Hammock 8'8" x 45" 9.5 oz $ 90 "comfortable for people up to 6ft 5 and 150kg" (330 lbs)
    Net 6.7 oz $ 55
    Tarp 9'8" x 9'5" 16 oz $109 (weight excludes included pegs and guylines. RL not included)

http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd...ght_combo_deal

PS from .com/product you choose US and then click on the green DD Hammocks logo in the middle to get the prices in USD.

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    DIY! A comfy gathered-end hammock is much simpler than folks with DIY-anxiety often think.

Look into a DIY Fronkey Style bug net to compliment the hammock.

Meanwhile, don't be afraid to buy used. Pick up something that looks interesting to you and try it out, compare it to what you make. Resell it here if you don't like it. Rinse. Lather. Repeat. Eventually you'll learn exactly what you like and get rid of the rest - or you'll hoard it all and like it. Lots of us do.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, been busy reading through the forums based on your advice.

@Jwright
    I'm definelty going with diy, I am detemened to cut down weight and the thread in diy about a full system at 13oz is inspirational! My current setup is probably 3lbs right now so getting it down to even just one would put my weekend pack weight at less than 15 pounds!
    I don't know what the "foot box mod" is. I'm a fan of cinch buckles for suspension, I really hate tying knots mostly due to taking a fall the first time I tied my hennessy up, I would rather just clip or cinch something. As for whoopie slings, I don't understand them. I feel like I'm missing something g but I can't seem to find out how they work or why they are so great? I'm open to them I just don't understand I suppose.
    @AaronMB
    Gathered end is what I'm leaning towards, a simple one to start, and after I might make a double layer for putting a pad in (just been using a sleeping bag so far, a little chilly but I can't afford a underquilt) the fronkey bugnet is awesome! I love the simplicity of it, much better IMO than the socks and other models.

I Ordered 15yards of 3rd degree sil-nylon yesterday to make a hex tarp and some stuff sacks with, pretty excited for it. Probably gonna pick up some wal-mart curtains to make a cheapo bugnet first to ensure I can do it right before I buy the no-see-um. I'm also shopping around for the best deal I can get on ripstop. So if anyone knows of any sales id love to know! Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Edit: I think ill go ahead and get the cinch buckles and titanium Dutch hooks, big fan. (If only the cinch buckles were titanium as well lol)
    Last edited by Grengore; 05-28-2014 at 08:29.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    what do you mean ''3rd degree''? do you mean silnylon 3rds?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grengore View Post
    Edit: I think ill go ahead and get the cinch buckles and titanium Dutch hooks, big fan. (If only the cinch buckles were titanium as well lol)
    I've heard of cinch buckle strap suspensions, and I use whoopie slings with Dutch whoopie hooks, but I can't imagine how you use them together.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts