Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    I tend to roll a bit to the outside (L), or turn my head that way. I often get a bit of cold air down my neck/back when I do that - feels like a cold spot on my mid to upper back. I find that a quick re-tuck of the TQ around my shoulder fixes it

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Half way through the night, I sometimes end up rolled just slightly on my left side, and with my knees slightly bent. While doing this, I'll feel a quick shot of cool air since the UQ moves but it warms right back up.
    If your UQ has side channel suspension, try to tighten it. If not, try to add it with just a few loops of grogain on each seem and some shockcord, or get a new UQ. You're most likely feeling the shot of cold air b/c you have sag in the UQ, and if you're in a lumpy position so to speak it's harder for a loose quilt to conform. Raising the UQ made a massive difference for me and I sleep in 4-5 positions a night with zero cold spots (now, but I've had some frustrating nights).

Other things could be your foot end lateral cinch is too tight, so when you move your feet the UQ is being pushed and yanked around.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcheviot View Post
    If your UQ has side channel suspension, try to tighten it. If not, try to add it with just a few loops of grogain on each seem and some shockcord, or get a new UQ. You're most likely feeling the shot of cold air b/c you have sag in the UQ, and if you're in a lumpy position so to speak it's harder for a loose quilt to conform. Raising the UQ made a massive difference for me and I sleep in 4-5 positions a night with zero cold spots (now, but I've had some frustrating nights)

Other things could be your foot end lateral cinch is too tight, so when you move your feet the UQ is being pushed and yanked around.
    What he said.
    Also, I do add grosgain loops in the middle of the length of the quilt and then tie a piece of shockcord to one of them with a micro cordlock or dutch quilt clip to the other. The cord runs up over the ridgeline to the other side. That allows me a little adjustment in the middle of the quilt. Really only use this in cold weather but it could help if you move around.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DH RoamingGnome 1.6 SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    On my last hike I was a bit cool in my HG 40 degree quilts at temps in the mid 40's. In particular, when sleeping on my side, my hip and shoulder were cool. After groping about a bit, the impression I came away with was that the concentration of weight in these two zones was to some degree compressing the down in the under quilt. I guess I need to enlist my wife to help and see if I can get the UQ suspension dialed in so that it will work for both back sleeping and side sleeping.

--Peter

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I sleep in all mentioned positions, depends on my mood. What helps me get comfortable is having two pillows, one for my head, and one for my legs. I'll put the pillow under my legs when straight leg, or doing the 4. Sometimes I sleep in the fetal position with the pillow in between my legs. I seemed to move around, but haven't had issue being cold. Getting the UQ adjusted correctly takes sometime for me, I need more practice, but once right, I can move around my positions.

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    PL/DD
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Same issue here, but had the same problems when I was a ground sleeper. Always end up tossing and turning, trying to keep the other side warm. A good pair of long johns helps......

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12