Dutch chameleon + Amok draumr XL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 20F
    Suspension
    UCR + SPIDER/POLY
    Quote Originally Posted by drbodyjr View Post
    This post might be dead, but I still try to get answer...
    I would like to make whoopie slings myself. Never did it before actually.
    Will buy some dyneema and here comes my dilemma. ��
    I live in Sweden so i need some local source or amazon. (Any recommendation is appreciated)
    I found these:

This one is swedish, but the parameters can be seen
    https://www.hjertmans.se/produkter/a...-gra-12-flatad

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B079TM3S2K/...RCGSQ3H8Y&th=1

Would it be a ok choice or I should forget it?
    Regards
    Gábor
    I have as well some trouble finding UHMWPE(dyneema) localy , but I live in Russia so go figure.
    Then I found two sources of cordage with international shipping. Here is
    Aliexpress china store with lots of cordage all sizes and lenghts.
    medium quality medium prices and long shipping time.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/213...2f541457XehKLM

and my best source of cordage is
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product-ca...pe/spliceable/
    Original amsteel with great quality
    Dutch is a great guy and provides great services with adequate prices, fast shipping.

So pick up what suits you better

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    HelikonTex Superta
    Insulation
    ENO Vulcan
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Thanks! The problem with oversea orders to Sweden is that no matter how much your order +shipping costs, the swedish postal service takes extra fee (not just tax) and even if it is not much it makes for example aliexpress orders unreasonably expensive..
    Dutch's site is very good indeed..
    Thanks for the comment anyway!

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon + Amok draumr XL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 20F
    Suspension
    UCR + SPIDER/POLY
    Quote Originally Posted by drbodyjr View Post
    Thanks! The problem with oversea orders to Sweden is that no matter how much your order +shipping costs, the swedish postal service takes extra fee (not just tax) and even if it is not much it makes for example aliexpress orders unreasonably expensive..
    Dutch's site is very good indeed..
    Thanks for the comment anyway!
    I was looking to links you posted - it seems it will work.
    You must consider several things when looking for Dyneema(UHMWPE) cordage(for making whoopies , UCR , continious lopps etc):
    number of strands is better 8 -12
    Diameter 2,5 - 3 mm
    and cordage must be braided it means without inner core, only outer braided layer.

Hope this helps!

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Pelica
    Insulation
    HG 850 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird WHOOPI
    For all the newer people here, and newer people to hanging, I was intimidated by whoopie slings for a while! I was used to using the ENO atlas/atlas XL and liked the daisy chain approach as it was easy to adjust but MAN OH MAN, were they HEAVY and took up space! (At least for someone looking to get into backpacking, they took up too much room in my pack!) I just purchased whoopie slings from hummingbird, as I did not feel as talented as Slow here! It is amazing and SUPER easy to use!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    However … These days you can find daisy chain in very light material - like DutchWare spider. And you’ll find that there more distance overhead when using the slings. Yes, they are extremely light weight. But when your hands are cold and wet, they are not so much fun. Clearly they have their fans is I were on a Thru-Hike where I knew I’d have lots of trees to choose from, they’d make a lot of sense. But when I’m camping where I need to use an established site, often the tree choices are few and I may need to hang at the shortest distance possible.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    However … These days you can find daisy chain in very light material - like DutchWare spider. And you’ll find that there more distance overhead when using the slings. Yes, they are extremely light weight. But when your hands are cold and wet, they are not so much fun. Clearly they have their fans is I were on a Thru-Hike where I knew I’d have lots of trees to choose from, they’d make a lot of sense. But when I’m camping where I need to use an established site, often the tree choices are few and I may need to hang at the shortest distance possible.
    This is true. With the spider daisy chain, you can essentially hook within 4" of the tree on each side.
    On the flip side, you can get a really wide hang with two 12' spider chains and a set of whoopie slings. Two of the spider chains, 12' long take up less space than a single eno daisy strap. They weigh less, too.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    ENO (Atlas) and Python straps are heavier and their loop spacing is wider than Dutch’s Spiders. But with a long distance hang, you have to attach higher to the tree. Some of us are height challenged. I don’t want to attach higher than 6 ft. I’ve read about pushing the connection up with a hiking pole. But 1) you know there’s going to be a branch in the way. 2) you still have to get the strap down after you’ve pushed it out of reach. Some trees are reluctant to give up their bootie.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 01-19-2022 at 22:34.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    ENO (Atlas) and Python straps are heavy than and their loop spacing is wider than Dutch’s Spiders. But with a long distance hang, you have to attach higher to the tree. Some of us are height challenged. I don’t want to attach higher than 6 ft. I’ve read about pushing the connection up with a hiking pole. But 1) you know there’s going to be a branch in the way. 2) you still have to get the strap down after you’ve pushed it out of reach. Some trees are reluctant to give up their bootie.
    I am still learning, and had planned on going with whoopie slings, but the wife is not too keen on using "string" to hold up her hammock, lol. I think we will use the dutch spiders for a while, they work great the limited use I have with them.
    I can always larks head the whoopies to my hammock, and use the carabiners if I want to try the whoopie slings.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    lorazepam, that’s a great idea for trying whoopie slings without fully committing to them. After I bought some Amsteel and spicing tools, I became a whoopie sling fool for a few weeks. But I soured on them because I really had no need to go that light and they were “fussier” than I liked. On a warm summer day - nice. If it’s cold and/or raining - not so nice. And if I had to make an adjustment, I’d sort of hold the hammock at the desired position, by tucking it under my arm and using two hands to adjust the sling. The hammock would slip a bit or the “grab wouldn’t be initially tight enough so there’d be some slippage. I’m sure the technique would refine if I wanted to work at it. But it was so easy with daisy chain to just clip into the best loop - done. I started with Atlas and Python straps but their loop-to-loop distance was about 5-6 inches. So I made a small Amsteel loop to use between the loop and the carabiner, giving me a half step.

I think the straight load (no figuring in bends and such) of Amsteel is 1600 lbs.

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    I think the whoopies look a lot "cleaner" when set up, but those spider chains sure are easy, and I need a strap around the tree anyway.
    I have plenty of personal weight to shed before I worry about suspension weight differences.

• + New Posts
  • Page 105 of 106 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106 LastLast