Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Henessy Expedition Asym
    Insulation
    CCF ground pad

Getting wet inside my hammock when there is no rain!

I use a Hennessy Asym, I've had it for about 8 months now and have used it quite a bit for weekend trips and a few week long trips, all being in the fall/summer in upstate NY/Adirondack region. I love the hammock, never had any problems and sleep comfortably every time. However, I've very recently run into a problem that I haven't had before. I'm waking up in the morning after no rain the night before and I'm damp in my hammock.. that is, the backside of my sleeping bag, and my ground pad are wet, and nothing else in my hammock is wet (I use a closed cell foam ground pad). My theory(s) is either that my body heat and the colder temperature outside is creating condensation that my ground pad is absorbing and soaking through to get my back wet, or I'm not using my hammock correctly and dew is collecting inside my hammock, although I'm skeptical of that because I've never experienced it before and have woken up to dew around me many times in the past. Can someone confirm or deny my theory, or enlighten me on what may be happening? Thanks! and Happy Hanging!

Hammock
    Gone
    Tarp
    back
    Insulation
    to
    Suspension
    ground
    Sounds like you've got it right regarding condensation. Your CCF pad isn't as breathable as say an underquilt.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    It's the moisture your body gives off being trapped by the non-breathable pad. It has no way to escape. It has nothing to do with dew.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    If you can't move to an UQ right away, you might attempt a torso sized pad set up, with your puffer jacket underneath legs and feet. You'll still experience some condensation, but it will be cut dramatically. Instead of pads, I prefer small sit pad sized pieces of Reflectix. For me they stay better where they are placed and seem easier to move around if needed. With an UQ I never get chilled anywhere that isn't a pressure point. Butt, heels, shoulders, etc.

If you want to get away from condensation underneath you, like already stated, probably have to walk away from the pad at some point.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    When I used a pad I got condensation 100% of the time, no matter what the weather. It's the nature of the beast.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Ahh, the quits r us contingent. It's condensation that is partly dew and partly perspiration. I use a polarfleece top cover on my pad and it seems to solve the problem. YMMV. The condensation is always there but the amount varies. If you did not get it before I would guess a heavier dew load. Remember, one does not always get dew forming as it is temperature and humidity dependent.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have the same issue with my pad when I use it (when it's cold). The Therm-a-rest Ridgerest is the pad I use, and it catches the moisture from my body in the ridges, which means that I stay a little drier.

Hammock
    HB Sky bed bug free
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies
    It's not just a hammock problem. Sleep on any non breathable surface whether hanging or in a bivi or tent and you'll be prone to the same problem.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Tomato, tomahto. Convection, conduction. Step right up and take yer pick, ladies and gents.

Fleece, just soaks it up so you can't see it. Weights before and after can reveal to one's self.

Plenty can get into down insulation as well. Problematic? A yes on longer colder trips. Loss of loft? No fun.
    Signature suspended

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alalond2 View Post
    I use a Hennessy Asym, I've had it for about 8 months now and have used it quite a bit for weekend trips and a few week long trips, all being in the fall/summer in upstate NY/Adirondack region. I love the hammock, never had any problems and sleep comfortably every time. However, I've very recently run into a problem that I haven't had before. I'm waking up in the morning after no rain the night before and I'm damp in my hammock.. that is, the backside of my sleeping bag, and my ground pad are wet, and nothing else in my hammock is wet (I use a closed cell foam ground pad). My theory(s) is either that my body heat and the colder temperature outside is creating condensation that my ground pad is absorbing and soaking through to get my back wet, or I'm not using my hammock correctly and dew is collecting inside my hammock, although I'm skeptical of that because I've never experienced it before and have woken up to dew around me many times in the past. Can someone confirm or deny my theory, or enlighten me on what may be happening? Thanks! and Happy Hanging!
    Well, it could be plain old condensation as has been mentioned. But you have been doing this a while, for the last 8 months, with no problems? So I guess last fall and winter you were fine?

So what has changed? For one thing I figure it is maybe warmer now than it was last Feb or Nov? Condensation normally happens when vapor contacts a cold surface, colder than the dew point. I'm figuring your pad was getting colder several months ago than it is very recently.

So could it be that rather than condensation upon the vapor barrier that is your pad, that you are actually sweating? Are you using the same pad you have been using during the much colder months? Might it be a lot warmer than you need with the current temps, causing you to sweat? Just something to consider, I'm just making a WAG.

If you sweat into an UQ, the sweat will be absorbed and wicked away from your back by the insulation and hopefully will become vapor via evaporation and travel to the outside of your UQ, hopefully. If you sweat on top of a waterproof VB like a pad, it is going to pool under your back.

If it turns out you are sweating, maybe a lighter, thinner pad would help. Or possibly even less insulation on top, but my 1st thing to try would be a thinner pad.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast