Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Suspension
    Dutch, always.
    Hrm.

Now I'm concerned about using my Thermarest Z-Lite (non-sol, regular) pad with my DH Thunderbird in MO in June... :-/

Maybe the temps will be high enough I won't need anything underneath. I'm subbing so I can find out if the answer is simply condensation or sweat, in which case I might need to re-think my strategy.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have always had some condensation when I used pads in the hammock. In summer, I didn't notice it as much, since it was warm when I got out of the hammock. But when the temperatures started dropping in fall, it became uncomfortable. As long as I didn't move too much, I was fine in the hammock. But when I turned on my side, my back quickly started to feel cold due to the humidity that was caught in my sleeping clothes. Some pads were better than others. CF pads were the worst for me. My Therm-a-Rest ProLite was the best. Probably because it is covered with some kind of fabric.

If you want to stick with the pad, try covering it with something. I guess fleece would work well, but it's also one of the heavier options. Maybe try a cover with breathable nylon?

If you want to avoid the condensation completely, I guess you will have to use an underquilt. Or replace the CF pad with something that is not waterproof (woolen blankets and sheepskin have been suggested in other threads).

Another thing you might try is using a hammock sock in colder temperatures. I will raise the temperature in the hammock, and help evaporate condensation before it gets too much of a problem. Good luck!

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    With a vapor barrier, you need to regulate your temp to not be too warm else you sweat too much as has been mentioned. Are you using the same pad and sleeping bag as you were when it was colder out? if so, switch to a lighter bag. As has been stated condensation from your bodies perspiration will happen either on the pad or in the quilt. It is more noticeable on the pad and is usually a sign you were too warm.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Tomato, tomahto. Convection, conduction. Step right up and take yer pick, ladies and gents.

Fleece, just soaks it up so you can't see it. Weights before and after can reveal to one's self.

Plenty can get into down insulation as well. Problematic? A yes on longer colder trips. Loss of loft? No fun.
    True. The advantages of polarfleece are that it does not compress well so it keeps one off the pad.while drying fast. The end result is no obvious moisture at the body contact point so it is less like sleeping on a rubber sheet.

FWIW I point out polarfleece because the cloth business has both cotton fleece like sweatshirts and synthetic spun shredded soda bottles like Polartech. The synthetic works, cotton does not.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Henessy Expedition Asym
    Insulation
    CCF ground pad
    From what everyone is saying, it sounds like I may be sweating.. I am using the same pad and sleeping bag that I've always used, as I don't have any other options, and am a poor college student that can't afford to buy tons of new gear. I usually layer up to my teeth when I sleep, as I get pretty cold at night, but I think I may just try sleeping without the pad this weekend and see how it goes. I've yet to do any summer camping with my hammock so it could be that since I'm used to camping in colder weather that I just wasn't sweating before. I've been hearing a lot about UQ's since joining this site and am seeing that they seem to be a pretty worthwhile investment. I'll test out the no pad and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    You would be better off keeping the pad and losing clothing. A lot of us sleep in 1 layer of polypro or similar wicking long johns. In essence get dinner, clean up and switch to sleep long johns. Slip on some other clothes over them if you need to while sitting around. This gives your day clothes a rest and your body a chance to air out. You should be dry when you get into bed. If you are layering up you are also probably already damp and cold!

FWIW I have not zipped a sleeping bag in 30 years since I figured out pads are insulation but crushed down is not.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Your closed-cell foam pad isn't "absorbing" anything. Or at least it shouldn't be. If it is, then it's not "closed cell" foam.

By definition, each bubble in closed-cell foam is sealed unto itself. The cells are not connected to one another. Nothing should be able to enter or pass through it.

Not sure what conclusion to draw from that, but it might affect your analysis of this problem.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    You would be better off keeping the pad and losing clothing. A lot of us sleep in 1 layer of polypro or similar wicking long johns. In essence get dinner, clean up and switch to sleep long johns. Slip on some other clothes over them if you need to while sitting around. This gives your day clothes a rest and your body a chance to air out. You should be dry when you get into bed. If you are layering up you are also probably already damp and cold!

FWIW I have not zipped a sleeping bag in 30 years since I figured out pads are insulation but crushed down is not.

I agree with Mark.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alalond2 View Post
    From what everyone is saying, it sounds like I may be sweating.. I am using the same pad and sleeping bag that I've always used, as I don't have any other options, and am a poor college student that can't afford to buy tons of new gear. I usually layer up to my teeth when I sleep, as I get pretty cold at night, but I think I may just try sleeping without the pad this weekend and see how it goes. I've yet to do any summer camping with my hammock so it could be that since I'm used to camping in colder weather that I just wasn't sweating before. I've been hearing a lot about UQ's since joining this site and am seeing that they seem to be a pretty worthwhile investment. I'll test out the no pad and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
    Condensing vapor or sweat, either way I am the odd man out around here in that I have long ago solved all of those problems via use of vapor barriers, (odd by using VBs, not by solving the problem which others do in other ways) and most especially VB clothing which has a comfy fuzzy liner. My primary VB use has been:
    1: space blanket as 1st layer under my hammock in the HH Super Shelter, or as 1st layer under my hammock when the entire hammock is engulfed by my PeaPod
    2: VB socks for many years, at least 30
    3: More recently, the above mentioned VB clothing

For some reason I never get any sweat using the space blanket(SB) in the HHSS, with on and off 6+ years of use. Once or twice I have found a few drops on the low point of the SB, but have never been aware of any moisture on my back or sleeping bag or hammock. I am not all that surprised to not have condensation, since this SB is always warm being next to my back, and condensation occurs on colder surfaces. But I'm not sure why I have never had sweat, as so many people do with CCF pads. Maybe I have just been lucky by being warm enough but without ever overheating? Not sure.

However, as I recently said in another thread(sorry, I know I am repeating myself), all of the above is moot when I am using the VB clothing. My sweat , if there is any, can not reach any of my insulation, nor my can my body vapor reach a cold surface to condense on. Whatever there is, it is trapped against my skin. That sounds uncomfortable, but I'm not really aware of it with the lined brand I use. If I overheated and broke out in a sweat, I would be aware of that, but still warm and with dry insulation and/or pad.

Why am I mentioning all of this? Well, you are already using a VB: your CCF or inflatable pad. Vapor can not get through it, vapor will condense on any part of it that gets cold enough, and sweat will pool on it and soak any insulation it contacts. Moisture can not get to you through the pad from the outside, a big plus, but your moisture can not get away from you. So, it probably is a good idea to understand a bit about VBs just in case you don't already. There are a couple of stickies here on that subject.

Quote Originally Posted by RkyMtnMan View Post
    Your closed-cell foam pad isn't "absorbing" anything. Or at least it shouldn't be. If it is, then it's not "closed cell" foam.

By definition, each bubble in closed-cell foam is sealed unto itself. The cells are not connected to one another. Nothing should be able to enter or pass through it.

Not sure what conclusion to draw from that, but it might affect your analysis of this problem.
    I'd say the conclusion is that if he sweats on that waterproof VB, or if condensation happens, it ain't going anywhere and will get absorbed by his insulation, not the pad just as you point out.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-20-2014 at 22:07.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alalond2 View Post
    I'll test out the no pad and see how it goes.
    No pad = no bottom insulation = bad idea. Bring the pad 'cause I think you're gonna need it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast