DIY Camo Gathered-End
    Tarp
    DIY Camo Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Pad & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

Here's My DIY Bridge Hammock...

First, big thanks to all you guys who post the information to make this stuff. I hope I can return the favor.

After making a whole butt-load of very cool gathered-end hammocks, I decided to try my hand at making a bridge hammock. First, I scoured the interwebz for data...and I found a lot. This got the creative juices flowing and the wallet open.

His is my double layer bridge hammock. 7'8" Long, The head end spreader bar id 40", while the foot end is 26".

I used 4 yards of black 1.9 oz.rip-stop for the interior, and 4 yards of camo 1.9 rip-stop for the exterior. Everything was roll-hemmed and double stitched... rather sloppily to, I might add. But hey... this is my first try.

The spreader bars were salvaged from an old tent I had out in the shed, which now have wooden dowel inserts Gorilla Glued inside for added strength.

The pins... I don't know what you call 'em but I spotted them at Ace and they were perfect for my plans. They simply insert into 1/4" holes drilled into the ends of the spreader bars to hold everything in place.

The suspension is very simple. 400 lbs rated utility cord from the hammock to a carabiner, to a Whoopie Sling. I also have 6' tree straps available but they're not needed in my back yard. And when I do use them a simple Lark's Head knot is how I attach the Whoopies.

The double layer allows me to add my 60" combination Reflectix/blue packing foam pad complete with 30" wings. The wings work from shoulder to thigh. (You see, I love to camp in the cold!)

There are also shock-corded pockets at either end. When complete, one pocket will house the bug net while the other will hold the over-cover.

I have an adjustable ridge-line I use to hang a light and my DIY organize from.

I also have a DIY UQ I made out of a cheap Wally World sleeping bag that clips right on to the whatchamacallit rings with mitten hooks.

Questions? Comments? Critiques?

Bring it.

I will appreciate them all!

01.JPG 02.JPG 03.JPG 04.JPG 05.JPG 06.JPG 07.JPG 08.JPG 09.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG 12.JPG 13.JPG 14.JPG 15.JPG
    I make gear... lots and lots of gear.
    http://campingwithken.com/

Images
    that thing looks really nice. great job

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Congrats on the new project! Nothing quite like sleeping in a hammock of your own creation.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Gathered-End
    Tarp
    DIY Camo Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Pad & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Thank you, guys... And I have to agree: there is nothing quite like utilizing something you created successfully. Because I sure have had my share of failures!

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    RP

It looks great. The organizer, too.

Have you spent the night in it?

How does it compare to the gathered end hammocks?

Could you use a pad without the wings in this hammock?

Picture # 12 makes it seem that you slide your foam pad in from the top, yes?

I am more comfortable in my gathered end hammock without a pillow. If this matches your experience, does your new hammock bring back the need for a pillow?

Hammock
    DIY Camo Gathered-End
    Tarp
    DIY Camo Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Pad & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak4water View Post
    RP

It looks great. The organizer, too.

Have you spent the night in it?

How does it compare to the gathered end hammocks?

Could you use a pad without the wings in this hammock?

Picture # 12 makes it seem that you slide your foam pad in from the top, yes?

I am more comfortable in my gathered end hammock without a pillow. If this matches your experience, does your new hammock bring back the need for a pillow?
    Thanks!

I really like the organizer too! You can't see it in the picture, but I take a piece of 1/4" rubber hose and thread a piece of paracord through the eye of the zipper tab, then feed it through the hose and knot it off. It makes a little 3-4" rubber handle on your zipper that's real easy to find in the dark. It also just makes opening and closing the zipper easier.

I haven't spent a night in it yet, and won't until I get my bug net and or over cover assembled. But I have "napped" in it and it's less constraining than a gathered end hammock. And there's no sleeping diagonally because there's no center line. Now I've got a really nice gathered end hammock that's absolutely great... but this is just roomier and a more comfortable "lay". It's also much more complicated to build. Especially the catenary cuts on the sides.

Yes. the wings on the pad are just a preference. I like to go up the mountain and hang... and it gets pretty cold sometimes and the wings just help keep my sides warm. But any old pad would work. And it slips in from the bottom of the foot end, between the two layers.

And as far as a pillow... I've always used this little inflatable one my wife bought for me in all my hammock sleeping.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Thats a great job; its even cooler as its partly upcycled from other things.

Oh and that organiser is bloomin' marvellous !

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Great job----looks great! Do you have a bug net also in the works?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY Camo Gathered-End
    Tarp
    DIY Camo Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Pad & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Yes sir. And thank you! I plan on having a full-length bug net riding on an adjustable ridge-line, which will be stored in one end pocket, and an over-cover housed in the other end. It gets hot here is the desert... but it gets mighty cool up on the mountain, and that's where I spend most of my hang time.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Wow. Awesome job. Nice work
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast