Kicking myself for not bringing hammock..dang!!

Well, I have just come back from my month long motorcycle trip form east of Toronto down to Oaxaca Mexico, a month on the road. I packed my camp gear,which took up a whole 36 litre side bag,which wasnt particularly light, btw, and I used it about 5 times the whole trip.

Camping is not really done in Mexico as I was paying on the average,$20/25 bucks a night for motel rooms. So.....I dragged that bag of camp stuff all over Mexico and the US,what a waste of space and added weight. Tent, poles,sleep pad,and sleep bag.

Now my tent is a MSR Hubba Hubba so it's pretty light and small for a two person tent and the poles fit neatly in the side bag. Just everything together was heavy. I have a nemo sleep pad that is heavy, the astro? Maybe, it's got the gel pad I think. My sleep bag is the north face hotlum down so it's pretty small.

So, I went downstairs and packed my hammock, in its skins,the large HH tarp, the webbing and the tarp cord all in a X'S compression bag. Then I put it alongside my regular camp gear.....sigh....I would have been less annoyed at least dragging my hammock stuff around for weeks and using it infrequently.

Need I describe how I suffered trying to get up off the ground after riding for 12/13 hours? It's truly a heroic process at my age!

I only got into hammocking at the end of the season last year so this will be my summer to really get the hang of hammocking..I hope. I still feel a little intimidated by hanging, when I did my overnight last year, I felt anxious and trying to find the "right spaced" trees. And it actually took a while,but I guess I don't have the " eye" yet.

I have had help from a forum member here, you know who you are...Thank you so much and I still have questions!!!!.....incoming texts!

So.....much practice in my home hanging lab is ahead of me so I can feel comfortable and confident enough to leave my tent at home,even though I still find that a scary thought, honestly. Maybe I should just pack a little bivy.....just in case??

I fear not being able to hang due to tree placement or......whatever......lack of skill? Noob-ness? And being left to sleep on the ground without shelter or something.....I don't know....I need to build my confidence. No tent!!!!

Texas is very large and flat btw.........deadly boring on the motorcycle....zzzzzzzzz

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WBCB with door kit
    Sounds like a nice trip. I immediately got my hammock after motocamping and sleeping in a tent for the first time in 40 years about two months ago. I know what you mean, it was a painful experience, and the hammock will hopefully be the answer when there are trees. I plan or carrying both my tent and hammock, as the hammock packs really small. What type of hammock do you have?

Texas has some great riding, just not through the center. You need either the Texas hill country, Big Bend area of Texas, or deep east Texas.

I have a HH scout. With the large tarp. I rode from Texarcana south to McAllen,crossed into Mexico at Reynosa.

Hammock
    HH explorer zip
    Tarp
    SLD winter haven
    Insulation
    potomac uq, bag tq
    Suspension
    diy ratchet straps
    Get out for some day trips with the hammock to build your confidence. Hanging a hammock is nothing to be scared of. I have had my HH explorer for about a month and have slept in it almost every night. Never had any trouble finding a spot to hang it.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Everyone starts somewhere Be sure to check out ideas that other bikers have come up with for hanging their hammocks off their bikes.
    Happy Hanging!
    The meaning of Life is to live it

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    HG Blue Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Kammok Straps
    Only part of Texas is flat - we have every kind of terrain here, it just depends on what floats your boat.

Regarding finding the right trees - trial and error, which means doing it more! :-)

Kicking myself for not bringing hammock..dang!!

It's possible to use your HH as a ground bivy, using walking poles or sticks to keep the tarp and bugnet taut. You will still need a sleeping pad on the ground of course for comfort and insulation. Time to leave the tent at home

(I have an MSR hubba hubba btw. Great tent).

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Tewa Breeze
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Dang, share some mexico pics
    Palm made products a portrait of modern triumph

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Motorcycles and hammocks are like peas and carrots! There will (almost) always be trees around somewhere to hang from. This is from my most recent bike trip - Vienna-north of Sweden-Vienna-south of Sweden-Vienna (yes, I went back and forth.. 800 km.. long and weird story):

• + New Posts