Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Tablecloth
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    There's probably a fairly easy DIY version of this http://www.orangemud.com/collections...oducts/thewrap that would work nicely. A little more security than simply wrapping a towel around - I never seem to be able to hold a towel up and manipulate clothes at the same time. But a towel that secures itself could be quite sufficient. And it could be made with a lightweight 'camping towel' that could do double duty.
    Robin

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Under the tarp. No big deal. I also orienteer. We change in back seats. Or just open both doors of the car, with another parked next to it and change. We don't go Full Monty. But we change down to underwear. Some of us old types, we strip to shorts, and who cares who sees. Lay out all your clothes first. Unzip things. Consider the steps. Do like the old shirt off, new on. then shorts/pants. etc. Not strip down all the way.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    GT SB ,GT double, Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I car camp, so if i have to change or something, I'll use my vehicle as a shield,or go inside my truck and change. My favorite camp site has nice restrooms with showers, so i mostly use that.

Hammock
    WBXLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-Season UQ
    Suspension
    AWS
    These are all great insights - seriously. Thanks to all for sharing!
    "I never came upon any of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking." - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    I also camp with Scouts. I usually change at night in the dark. I will put on my next days clothes before I go to bed, and am good to go when I roll out of the hammock in the morning.

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    I camp with the scouts as well. I am usually the last in bed and the first one out so I change as needed and in the dark. Really doesn't matter. If it did I have a winter style tarp with the doors that I just shut and good to go.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

tiny towel may not be enough

Quote Originally Posted by Landmark View Post
    These are all great insights - seriously. Thanks to all for sharing!
    Privacy with just a tarp is a major concern for many people, some use it as an excuse to camp in tents. This is a good topic to discuss. Most public areas have a toilet or bathhouse which is the safest due to law and consequences. I prefer tarp doors or something hung there but would not risk it if there were a lot of curious kids around.

Does remind me of my Dad who spent far to much time with indigenous people and didn't care. During the off season we were swimming at a public beach near Rio de Janeiro. No one else was there because the water was cold (July) and all changing places were closed. I just put my jeans over my wet suit for the bus ride back to a friend's house. However my Dad insisted on completely changing and all we had was a tiny hand towel 12"x24". Before he was done a bus full of kids and nuns came. Dad was calm as ever but i got freaked out a bit. Visions of nuns with slapping rulers and all. Hope a nun does not chase you down while you are changing under your tarp. lol.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I had to think about just how I managed this. We don't have scouts with us but we do have children and ladies at times and we aren't in public campgrounds. Most of us tend to spread out for some privacy and to avoid the snoring. Shortly after setting up camp I have done a bit of recon to find that perfect spot to take care of 'bathing'. MADD777 explained his method of cleanliness using a 1 qt. baggie, piece of microfiber towel and no rinse soap. I've been using it ever since. In our H&H areas there is normally some place you can get out of site for 10 or 15 mins. Even in a campground I believe that I could find that secluded spot. Nothing beats climbing into a hammock clean and in fresh clothes. As far as changing clothes. In the evening I have already changed into clean compression shorts and shirt at the bath, and put the kilt back on. At night I just remove the kilt and hang it over the end of the hammock RL and climb into the hammock. In the morning I get out of the hammock and throw the kilt on. It takes less than a minute to be covered. For anyone to see anything they would have to be standing at the end of my tarp and watching. Which just doesn't happen. With the situation of being a scout leader, I think I can understand your reservations. You're not so much protecting the scouts as you are protecting yourself. But to those scout leaders who are willing to make that sacrifice I commend you. Thank you for giving of yourself to provide our youth with an experience of the outdoors.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hybrid/varies
    I just change in my hammock.
    "Every human being holds something holy. We can all have some respect for that." - Omar Marzouk

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 5th View Post
    I just change in my hammock.
    This works just fine especially for the final underwear change which is critical if you don't want to risk being required to register as a s-predator for the rest of your life. I got over being embarrassed back in the 1970's when I lived in a palm leaf hut in an Amazonia village. The indigenous people had never seen white women or children before so peered through the walls at us for days all day long. No privacy except in my hammock a bit.
    You can also wear a simple loincloth instead of underwear like primitive people have done for thousands of years. String/mule tape around the waist with long narrow piece of cloth suspended from it between your legs. This is fast and easy to swap out without removing your pants, but it does leave your thighs bare. My indigenous friends taught me how to wear these in the jungle, they dry out very fast while you bathe in the river. One can be washed and reused for many days on a long trip. Only problem is that your white side thighs look silly until you tan them up a bit and you must tuck it up every so often so nothing hangs out. These with or without a kilt or chaps have been and still are used because they are very simple (but require a bit of technique to use well) and are much more comfortable than a grass skirt like Ed Stafford often uses on his TV shows Marooned and N-Castaway on Discovery Channel. Those are very problematic is many ways. Makes me laugh when the skirt catches on fire. NOT recommended! LOL
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 05-16-2014 at 09:32. Reason: loincloth suggestion

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast