Webbing with becket hitch

Anyone have extensive experience using webbing suspension attached to closed loop on end of hammock with becket hitch? I've played with this setup in the back yard and it seems secure and easy enough. Any significant drawbacks?

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    jarbridge/diy uq
    Suspension
    Webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I personally like this setup and have no problems with it. It is fast, efficient, and you don't need any fancy do-dads. The only drawback I could see is a rather rude introduction to the ground if you tie the becket hitch wrong......otherwise I think you should be fine.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Sorry, no experience with this or the sheet bend on a hammock suspension. Was looking on Animated Knots site for info on how easily the hitch releases after a load has been applied. I wonder if it would work well tied in a slippery configuration.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    Sorry, no experience with this or the sheet bend on a hammock suspension. Was looking on Animated Knots site for info on how easily the hitch releases after a load has been applied. I wonder if it would work well tied in a slippery configuration.

David
    Yes, I was playing with a slippery version. Seems almost too simple that I must be missing something obvious. I've got to believe this is very competitive weight-wise when compared to whoopie sling suspensions. Lack of hardware is bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Appreciate the vote of confidence from Silverwolf.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    jarbridge/diy uq
    Suspension
    Webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Michigan- Check out Derek Hansen's video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXhHBwUbIgI

He demonstrates the hitch and other options and the advantages/disadvantages.

BTW - I have had the misfortune of a rude introduction to the ground......I speak from experience!

I actually used this method for a good five months before I really tried other suspensions. At the time it was the cheapest method, and got the job done. All I can say is, its got its pros and its cons.
    Pros -
    1. Fastest setup I've used. Put the straps around the tree, through the loop, through the continuous loop, and from there it is as simple as holding the strap, and then bringing the standing end around the loop, under the already held webbing, and then forming a bight. It sounds complicated, but It is incredibly fast once you get used to it.
    2. No added hardware.
    3. It is pretty easy to release even when under heavy/ dynamic loads. I find that there is an art to undoing the knot which entails using your entire arm, and slowly rotating your hips as you pull it away (The impact should be felt in your shoulder if you did it right). I believe it's called whimpering. Slow and steady. The other method is yanking, which doesn't seem to work as well.
    4. Adjustment is done at the hammock and not at the tree height.
    Cons -
    1. Friction generated from quick release can cause fraying on continuous loop. Also, it is much easier to use on a sheathed rope than on amsteel directly since amsteel tends to compress and become slightly harder to quick release. It is interesting to note that there was very little wear with a sheathed rope.
    2. Slightly more stretch than when using other methods such as amsteel.

All in all, it is probably one of my favorite methods, and I have tried a few hardware options as well as whoopie slings. I tend to use whoopie slings now, but it seems to be because I enjoy them more, and not because they are "better". There doesn't seem to be any advantage with using one over the other (At least in my book). If anything, whoopie slings tend to introduce more problems than the becket hitch, but this is subjective, and at the heart they are just different.

A couple of examples of videos showing peeps that reply on this setup for their everyday use of hammocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCDyx_ZXzVE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B1zbf7auH4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWnV_TK5leg

based on the above and keeping in mind the protection of trees, this is exactly what I'm moving my suspension towards. Larks head around the tree and sheet bend / becket hitch on my HH. I recently removed the descender ring/carabiner solution and a whoopie sling solution in favor of a continuous loop to create an eye on which to emulate my more traditional backyard hammock.
    IMG_20140602_133033.jpgIMG_20140602_133338.jpgIMG_20140602_133201.jpg

Have not yet taken it to the field but I have no reason to suspect a close encounter of the grounded kind. Still need to figure out the water break but I'm leaning towards attaching a drip line .

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I've used sort of a modified version and it holds fine and a slipped version is not to hard to undo. What I don't like is it makes initial set up adjustments more difficult than say using a cinch buckle. Small adjustments are easily made with hardware vs tying and untying the hitch. Aside from that, it's a useful hitch for me to know should I need it.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts