Hammock
    Blackbird,HH Hyperlite, Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 degree set
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for that heads-up on top quilt width. I see they have a wider version...that makes sense.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    When I got into hammocks, I tried different types of insulation. I started with pads, which I already owned, but which were comparatively heavy, moved around in the hammock, didn't keep my shoulders warm, and had condensation issues (some more, some less). I got an IX underquilt next, because it was so much cheaper than a down underquilt. I found that it was pretty bulky and heavy for the little warmth it delivered. So I ended up getting a down underquilt. Yes, I had to learn to set it up properly, but compared to the other methods I tried, it was lighter, smaller and kept me a lot warmer. This was 4 years ago. My new HG Incubator I bought this year came with an almost fool-proof (although I can only talk about myself ) secondary suspension, which has made setting it up properly very easy. To a newbie who isn't on a super tight budget, I would definitely recommend going with a proper underquilt right away - especially if the newbie is a cold(er) sleeper. Why spend $139 now, only to upgrade to an underquilt a year later? I think there are better places to save money. For me, nothing spoils an otherwise good night more than being cold... Up to now, keeping the underquilt dry hasn't been a big issue for me, but I have never been to the US Westcoast.
    Why would you need to upgrade? I have some experience with UQ's and would recommend them for all other brands of hammocks but the SuperShelter is an option for the HH hanger. A FL UQ with undercover will weigh and cost up to twice as much. They both will keep you warm in the temps the OP will be hiking in. You can spend $139 be warm and lighter or spend twice as much and be warm, heavier, and part of the cool crowd

I agree with your observations on regular pads and the IX quilts but the Hennessey Hammock user does have an alternative that can't just be automatically put in the "pad" category.

Just trying to show that you can be warm and light without breaking the bank, I am going to grab my UL underquilt and go hang for awhile now.
    Last edited by hangnout; 05-13-2014 at 17:30.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    Why would you need to upgrade? I have some experience with UQ's and would recommend them for all other brands of hammocks but the SuperShelter is an option for the HH hanger. A FL UQ with undercover will weigh and cost up to twice as much. They both will keep you warm in the temps the OP will be hiking in. You can spend $139 be warm and lighter or spend twice as much and be warm, heavier, and part of the cool crowd

I agree with your observations on regular pads and the IX quilts but the Hennessey Hammock user does have an alternative that can't just be automatically put in the "pad" category.

Just trying to show that you can be warm and light without breaking the bank, I am going to grab my UL underquilt and go hang for awhile now.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Supershelter basically a kind of underquilt protector plus a rather thin pad (even if it is used under the hammock)?

I have to admit that I have never had the chance to use the Supershelter, but I'm still pretty sure that for me (female and cold sleeper) it probably wouldn't work to anywhere near to the temperatures the OP suggested. The only insulation that has worked reliably for me is down.

If the OP was male and would sleep warm, I would not have objected to your suggestion. I have found that most guys I know don't think anything about sleeping with insulation (be it blankets, sleeping bags or pads) that I would not even be able to use in summer without feeling cold... For a female who is a cold sleeper, I stick with my suggestion to go with an underquilt from the start and avoid possible frustrations. Unless the OP would have the chance to try another system before buying (group hang?).

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    You are welcome to check out my tarps or quilts. I'm not too far from Pugettropolis, or at the W WA hang. I have full and 3/4 length. The 3/4 length are full length for my girls.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 'Jemima'
    Tarp
    JacksRBetter HUGE
    Insulation
    Burrow/integrated
    Suspension
    of course!
    Images
    I am 4'11" & weigh in around 105. I went with Burrow 0° and have not regretted it.
    Real Freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. ~ Charles Lindbergh

Hammock
    Blackbird,HH Hyperlite, Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 degree set
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the feedback! Especially good to hear from the ladies what's working for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Playapixie View Post
    Hi! I'm new to the Hammock Forums, and a relative newbie to hammock camping. Long-time backpacker/ground-sleeper/VW Vanagon Camper, though.

At a pixie-sized 100 pounds, I'm looking for advice for ultralight hanging and staying warm. Last summer I used my Kammock Roo on a few trips, and while it's a comfortable hammock that's big enough for a snuggle with two (yay!), it's too heavy for my backpacking needs, so I recently acquired a Hennessy Hyperlight, which I have yet to use. Looking for suggestions on going ultra-light and staying warm, both challenges that are key for someone my size.
    I think you've got the idea. At your weight you can basically get away with a hammock made of the lightest materials available (0.9, 1.0oz per yard maybe). Get a single layer, and as small as you can be comfortable in (maybe as small as 8'). DIY for the hammock is easy.

My hiking profile: Pacific Northwest, three season. It is rarely warm at night, can dip below freezing, and dampness, rain, or dew are always a strong possibility.
    Welcome! I've been hanging in the PWN for many years now and I've never needed a bugnet, so keep that in mind as a way to save weight.

Staying warm: I'm considering buying a bottom and top quilt set from Hammock Gear (their cost/materials/weight profile looks like one of the best from my research.) Looking at the Incubator 20 and the Burrow 20. Are these overkill for three seasons? It's unlikely to get much below 30 degrees for most of my outings, but I sleep cold. Is the standard fill amount adequate, or should I add extra? Finally, is this a good brand, or is there something else I should consider?
    I think HG's 20 degree set is perfect for the area. If you think you'll be out more in the summer than winter you could go with a 30 degree topquilt and just sleep in more clothes on the cold nights.

Staying dry: The standard tarp seems risky for rain/wind coverage. A lot of my hiking is in September and October, months that can bring any weather here in the PNW, so I'm thinking a somewhat larger fly might be good for trips where the weather is suspect. Suggestions for very light-weight tarps with more coverage for the Hennessy Hyperlite? Ideally it would also be large enough to cover my Kammock Roo. Looking for the perfect trade-off between weight and coverage.
    If you're in a hammock, you're in a tree, and if your in a tree, you're in the woods, and in the woods rain generally falls straight down.

Setting up: I'm hesitant to alter the hyperlite's suspension for anything that adds weight, but considering adding light rappel rings and carabiners (which I think can be done for 3 ounces total) to ease set-up. Any other suggestions for mods that keep an ultralight profile but are easier to adjust than lashings?

Thanks,
    Dawn
    Seattle, WA
    Well, knots weight nothing--the only metal I bring is in the form of a few tent stakes and aluminum toggles for my whoopies.

BTW, you should come to the next Western Washington Hang, it'll give you a chance to look at a wide variety of gear at the very least--and you might actually have fun!

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    I'm unsure if the 3/4 option is wise. For weight (and price), definitely, but even at 5'3" I'm still quite a bit taller than the length of the 3/4 quilts I've looked at, and worried I'll be too cold if I'm not fully insulated. But I haven't tried a quilt at all yet (I don't know any hammockers in real life) so I don't know if 3/4 would be enough. Definitely nervous of being cold though...I haven't got any "built in" insulation in my little frame and being cold sucks. Would love more conversation on 3/4 vs full length. (For top quilt it isn't a problem as they make them in a short size that is definitely long enough for me.)

Dawn
    Think of it this way pixie. The3/4 may only be 48-50 inches long, but you will be sleeping on the diagonal to take advantage of the flatter lay. I am 5'10, my 52 inch long catches all but my heals and head, and I use sit pad for feet, foam pillow for head, no cold spots. At a 100 pounds, you need to save every ounce you can, you may want to hook up with someone in the area for a trial hang. btw- Welcome to the Forums!
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Great suggestions, everyone, thanks! Of course my eyes popped at 6.5oz for a bigger tarp..and again at the price. The Cuben looks awesome! (And I had no idea switching to hanging was going to break the bank...oops!) I will take a good look at all of your suggestions. I appreciate it.

I'm unsure if the 3/4 option is wise. For weight (and price), definitely, but even at 5'3" I'm still quite a bit taller than the length of the 3/4 quilts I've looked at, and worried I'll be too cold if I'm not fully insulated. But I haven't tried a quilt at all yet (I don't know any hammockers in real life) so I don't know if 3/4 would be enough. Definitely nervous of being cold though...I haven't got any "built in" insulation in my little frame and being cold sucks. Would love more conversation on 3/4 vs full length. (For top quilt it isn't a problem as they make them in a short size that is definitely long enough for me.)

Dawn
    FWIW, I'm 6'5" and I use a 3/4 underquilt. I just have to put a piece of foam pad in the footbox of my top quilt. 3/4 length quilts are a trade off. You're trading weight for hassle. A full length quilt will be slighly more comfortable and easier to keep situated (no pad falling out in the middle of the night, less potential for separation from the hammock).

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Interesting thread and information, everyone. My wife would be considered pixie sized ( 5"1 and 110lb), and I always make sure she never carries no more than 20 pounds in her pack. I'll have to get her to setup an account so she can chime in on her experiences. Her hammock and backpack are probably not the best choice for UL setup ( dueter 45+10 and clark nx250), however she uses a 3/4 quilt thats under 15 oz and a 1 lb sleeping bag as her top quilt. Will you be backpacking alone? If not, I'm sure someone can help you carry some of your gear.

I think what helped her out the most with carrying weight and maintaining a good pace on the trail is a good exercise routine and a healthy diet.
    Last edited by Chris183; 05-14-2014 at 12:34.
    Honor guide me

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast