blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images
    <-- 5'3" here... Just chiming in on the 3/4 underquilt. For me, it works great and is much lighter. I am a side sleeper and I tend to curl up when I sleep. I carry a closed cell pad, cut to size, for a sit pad. I throw this in the bottom of the hammock for when I stretch out. I, also, stay warmer in a sleeping bag instead of a quilt. I, use a Western Mountaineering bag at 22 oz. I love my cuben tarp from Hammock Gear, lots of coverage and light, light, light. You will find the lighter you go, the more it cost. But, for my size and keeping my pack weight down, it is worth it. Have fun trying out new things at a Group Hang near you.

Hammock
    TTTM Double, WBBB XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, DD3X3
    Insulation
    UKhammocks TQ &amp; UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Treehuggers
    As suggested by Hutzelbein, when deciding on a TQ and UQ contact the manufacturer of you're choice and maybe get something fitted to you're wishes.
    Last year I went looking for a set of TQ and UQ due to semi(as in european) local availabillity I finished up dealing with Matt from UKhammocks. I looked at his stuff and asked what the possibilities where to get items to fit, because I'm on the other side of the size chart from you(6'5" and topping 300LBS). So after a very pleasent mail exchange with Matt I got my stuff a little larger and totally satisfactory for a very small extra in price(more material costs more ofcourse).

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I would keep it simple to start. If you are going to use the Hyperlite the HH supershelter would be a good choice ($139). It is about the same weight as an UQ and does not require a big tarp to stay dry. I have seen it used into the low teens and even lower with some additional insulation. It is a bit of a hassle to put on but requires no additional adjustments once installed. UQ's can be the opposite.

You could replace the stock tarp for a Wilderness Logics Tadpole tarp to have a larger dry area when raining. It cost $90 and would only add 3.5oz to the total setup. I bet you could lower your total pack weight more than 5oz by spending the addltional $200 on something other than the cuben tarp. The cuben tarp is the last thing I would buy after I have lowered my pack weight in other areas.

Just my opinion, and wife says it ain't worth a d----

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Lots of good suggestions here. I echo go for the HG burrow and incubator in 20* for both. Get the short versions (full length). They will fit you very well and no doubt warm. If you have the cash, consider the HG four season cuben with doors, but to be honest I rarely use doors with the 2qzq under quilt protector. I always take it. You can get by with less tarp with it as it does a good job of cutting down on wind robbing the heat from your system.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    If you are going to use the Hyperlite the HH supershelter would be a good choice ($139). It is about the same weight as an UQ and does not require a big tarp to stay dry. I have seen it used into the low teens and even lower with some additional insulation. It is a bit of a hassle to put on but requires no additional adjustments once installed. UQ's can be the opposite.
    When I got into hammocks, I tried different types of insulation. I started with pads, which I already owned, but which were comparatively heavy, moved around in the hammock, didn't keep my shoulders warm, and had condensation issues (some more, some less). I got an IX underquilt next, because it was so much cheaper than a down underquilt. I found that it was pretty bulky and heavy for the little warmth it delivered. So I ended up getting a down underquilt. Yes, I had to learn to set it up properly, but compared to the other methods I tried, it was lighter, smaller and kept me a lot warmer. This was 4 years ago. My new HG Incubator I bought this year came with an almost fool-proof (although I can only talk about myself ) secondary suspension, which has made setting it up properly very easy. To a newbie who isn't on a super tight budget, I would definitely recommend going with a proper underquilt right away - especially if the newbie is a cold(er) sleeper. Why spend $139 now, only to upgrade to an underquilt a year later? I think there are better places to save money. For me, nothing spoils an otherwise good night more than being cold... Up to now, keeping the underquilt dry hasn't been a big issue for me, but I have never been to the US Westcoast.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    First off, Welcome to the Forums!

Secondly, the Hennessy Hammocks are great hammocks. They catch a bad wrap around here since they are mass produced and sold in Brick and Mortar stores, but I had a Hennessy that was very well made and not a stitch out of place. I did sell it recently since I switched to a WBBB, but it was only since I liked the design of the hammock better, not because the Hennessy was lacking or uncomfortable.

As far as what I would look for next in your shoes...

1. Bottom insulation. I first have to say that you cannot go wrong with a down UQ from one of the cottage vendors, I can personally recommend Hammock Gear and Warbonnet. I have also heard that Wilderness Logics and Underground Quilts make incredible products, but I cannot speak to them personally. However, seeing as you are in a very wet and damp part of the country, I would also strongly consider KAQ since they make synthetic UQs that will not have the same issues with moisture as down. Sure they wont be quite as light or compressible, but if your down quilt gets wet it could be a trip saver. If you do go with down, in your area, I would at least recommend a 2QZQ Underquilt protector to help keep the quilt dry

2. I would go to Dutch and get a couple of stingers and at least 100' of Zing-it or Lash-it or both. Then get your tarp setup to hang separately from your hammock. The Asym tarps are minimal coverage, but they will cover you in everything but the windiest rains when setup properly. This would also allow you to setup the tarp first in the rain and setup your hammock under it and vise-versa when taking it down. A bigger tarp is nice, but I would only consider it after you get your insulation squared away and you have tried the Asym tarp a couple of times.

3. Suspension. I would look at various suspension techniques for the Hennessy hammocks. Primarily descending rings. I would steer clear of whoopies until your Hennessy warranty runs out since they will void your hennessy warranty.

4. Top insulation. I put this last since you probably still have a fine sleeping bag that will serve nicely as an top quilt. I would use it for a while, unzipped and laid ontop of you like a TQ, until you get a feel for what temp rating you would need for a TQ.

Of course, this list is not complete at all...no one's is...but once you mark #1 off the list, you can go out and try your setup! Then work your way down...

The first thing to understand is that your setup will NEVER be complete, so only break off small chunks and dont do like I did and basically have an entirely new setup each time you go out!

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Playapixie View Post
    ... Of course my eyes popped at 6.5oz for a bigger tarp..and again at the price. The Cuben looks awesome! (And I had no idea switching to hanging was going to break the bank...oops!)...
    Cuben fiber's light weight is its best feature. But for me that wasn't good enough. I had an hg standard w/ doors but ended up selling it and buying a silnylon one. Many people are happy with their CF tarps, but there are a few cons that you should consider:

- CF is translucent so it does not provide shade against the sun. Instead, under sunny conditions, it creates a greenhouse effect - nice in cold weather, but a real downer otherwise.
    - The color of my CF tarp was supposed to be green, but it actually looked silver gray, which was much less stealthy than I prefer.
    - The fabric is "crinkly" and I could foresee that it would be noisier during rain, maybe affecting my sleep.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    I agree with looking for a custom size underquilt. I have a 3/4 quilt that I used for a few years, and I often had cold feet (I'm 5' 9" and a warm and sweaty-foot sleeper). Using a closed cell or reflectix pad would have my top quilt wet in the morning where the pad was. Then I had a vendor make me a 7/8 underquilt and I absolutely love it (he is no longer taking orders). It covers me from my shoulder to feet and have not been chilly in the least since I've been using it.

I have a DIY quilt that I have used on every trip since I made it (even when I had to sleep in a t**t). I made it to cover my shoulders and I have not been cold with it.

Tarps I have always done DIY. I have a winter tarp that is great to fully close off, but my new joy is a hex tarp made out of Sil-argon (see Dutchware) with a Grizz-Beak that I attach when it is windy. It's 12.1 oz and 3.7 for the beak (both with all cordage and Dutch bling).

Good luck and keep us posted.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    Blackbird,HH Hyperlite, Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 degree set
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Wow, you guys are great.

I'm strongly leaning towards ordering the bottom and top quilt today (short top quilt and either short or custom but full-to-me bottom) from HG ASAP (hiking season is eminent!) I like that this set up would work for either of my hammocks and that the top quilt can pull double duty as a hostel quilt (which means I can sell my REI travel down bag), and could also lighten my pack if ever I sleep on the ground, too.

Will read and research more about tarps. The weight alone of the cuben almost had me sold, but the translucency, particularly the lack of shading properties, has made me pause (and the price...)

Haven't looked into bottom covers. Guess that's my next topic to research.

Still researching suspension options.

Super advice, everyone. So glad I asked.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Playapixie View Post
    I like that this set up would work for either of my hammocks and that the top quilt can pull double duty as a hostel quilt (which means I can sell my REI travel down bag), and could also lighten my pack if ever I sleep on the ground, too.
    If you want to use the top quilt on the ground, have Adam make it a bit wider or add flaps. Hammock top quilts are usually a bit narrower than "ground quilts" since the under quilt covers your sides in a hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast