GT Ultralight w/ DIY pad pockets
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Blue CCF Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

This pad is testing my sanity

Writing to you all from my backyard. Attempting to stay on/ in my hammock with a thermarest inflatable pad under me.

I keep sliding to the diagonal that is so far to the diagonal that I'm practically perpendicular to the hammock!

And then I slide off the darn thing altogether.

How do you make a pad work with a hammock? When I used to use a hammock as a bed, I used very very little sag. The mostly flat hammock was super easy to sleep in. Since I've been visiting this forum and seeing the sag that you all use, I've been hanging looser. The consequence is that I'm not sleeping, because I'm sliding all over the place. Constantly.

HELP! How is this supposed to work?

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    if you wan't to use a pad, try putting little dots of sill-net on to add grippyness.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

pad slipping solutions

It is difficult to guess because you didn't specify single or double layer hammock or size or size of the pad. But here are a few more things to try. (BTW a pad may never be quite as compact or comfortable as an UQ but I often use a pad because some places along the trail/river/coast do not have anything to hang from and I must go to ground.)
    Best if the pad is NOT fully inflated, experiment with about half full of air to 3/4.
    Adjust hang angles using these guidelines if using a typical camping hammock and not a Brazilian style.
    Http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator
    Not sure of exact link, search for diagram and phone app.
    There are lots of materials that may help to reduce slipping: could try that rubber mesh that people put between a floor mat and tile floor. I think my wife buys it at housewares Isle at Walmart or Target. I still need to adjust a pad or quilt some every time I get back in regardless, but rarely during the night unless I ate a lot of chocolate just before going to sleep and am thrashing around in wild dreams as a result. LOL

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    Yeti, Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Invest in a underquilt, worth every penny. A 3/4 underquilt works great, much easier to use a small pad at the feet, than trying to use a full size pad. Comfort improves greatly with a underquilt.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    The amount of sag isn't a universal constant. different people, different hammocks, different ... all play a role. While the sag might be a variable in your pad situation, the more likely culprit is the hammock itself. It was mentioned before about a double layer hammock. The double layer is designed for pads in mind. However, still not all DL hammocks work great with pads. Some are serviceable, others terrible, and a few work quite well. Since we are close by, if you'd like to do a local hang to try out different setups let me know. I have quite a few different rigs and private woods. And I also go to the adks twice a month.

Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    down
    I am a Big Agnes guy so my pad in in a pad pocket. I want that pad so I have a plan "B" if I have to go to ground. (besides I have around 10 difference Big Agnes bags.)

I have used that mesh material which works well but is not lite if you use enough.

Thanks to Squirrel I will just "paint" some Sil stripes on the bottom of the pad pocket.. Well Done, Squirrel.

I have been thinking about putting some Tie-outs ("Tie-Ins"?) inside the hammock and on my Bid Agnes and see how that works. Has anyone tried this? Or any thoughts?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Something like an SPE or Eno Hotspot http://www.rei.com/product/830279/en...ping-pad-wings will help a lot in wrangling the pad. also let a little air out of the pad.
    Carry forth....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Pads and hammocks are not a trouble-free match. In most cases underquilts work better. Even with a double layer hammock it's not easy to stay on the pad.

If you liked sleeping in a hammock that was strung up tighter than recommended, why don't you go back to hanging your hammock that way? The majority of users feel that hammocks provide the most comfortable lay if they are hung with a 30° angle, but there are always exceptions of the rule. It also depends on the hammock model. I own hammocks that need to be hung tighter, and some which feel better with more sag.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images
    If you move a lot when You sleep then the pad will not suit You. I personally like pads and use them, also air pads, but I change my position during sleeping rarely.

Underquilts are good, but there is also numerous threads about problems with them. Usually draft is an issue. They can also move during night and You will wake up with cold back.

As it has been said and especially with air filled pad one can use tighter strung hammock than recommended. Air filled pad protects You from shoulder pressure and it stays better on its place when the sag is lesser. I personally recommend to fill the pad fully up, but others say it should be left partly empty.

My reason for filling the pad fully up is the fact that it is easy to move pad around even if You are sleeping over it inside sleeping bag when it is stiff, just support your lover torso and behind little up with legs from the hammock and move the pad to the direction you want and sleep. Usually the pad stays in its position at the shoulder end and foot end is the one moving around.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGHawk View Post
    I am a Big Agnes guy so my pad in in a pad pocket. I want that pad so I have a plan "B" if I have to go to ground. (besides I have around 10 difference Big Agnes bags.)

I have used that mesh material which works well but is not lite if you use enough.

Thanks to Squirrel I will just "paint" some Sil stripes on the bottom of the pad pocket.. Well Done, Squirrel.

I have been thinking about putting some Tie-outs ("Tie-Ins"?) inside the hammock and on my Bid Agnes and see how that works. Has anyone tried this? Or any thoughts?
    paint the pad, not the pocket. i think that would be a mess since ba pad pockets are made from breatheble fabric.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast