Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Top Insulation Dilemma

I have read a lot and I know that a TQ/UQ combo is the best option for hammocks. However, I cannot afford either right now. I have a WBBB double layer hammock and a CCF pad for bottom insulation. My goal is to have a set up that easily allows me to go to ground. Basically, I want a sleeping bag and pad combo that I can use in both a tent and my hammock, and eventually in a shelter on the AT.

Problem is, I'm just not really sure what sleeping bag to buy. I'm looking to keep it under $150 and as light as possible, and be comfortable for as much of the year as possible. I tend to sleep pretty hot, but I know it's easier to get cold in a hammock (I have as of yet NOT spent the night in my hammock). Any suggestions?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    KNT12/16
    Insulation
    KAQ RC 4S UQ
    Suspension
    Slings and arrows
    Hard to beat these for value: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/us-army-sleep-system (the bivy is the gem IMO) HD tho, not UL.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I love my UQ's but still use a sleeping bag as a TQ. For spring and fall here's a 40 degree down bag from Marmot that fits your budget. A fleece blanket or similar will work for summer and that gives you time to save up for a winter bag if you like colder weather camping.

Marmot Always Summer bag at backcountry .com

Many folks seem to like the Ozark Trail Down Bag
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...g-Bag/22008955
    Good luck in your search
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Two suggestions:

-don't be afraid to buy used, especially from a forum with reputable members (such as this one!)
    -don't get tunnel vision on sleeping bags: consider a top quilt from the Sale section here. I've used a quilt as a ground dweller for years without troubles. Turning takes a little practice and a ground cloth--wide enough to keep the quilt off the ground when you kick it off--is helpful. Your budget is tight, of course, but patience and good timing pay off!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    +1 on buying used.

Also, a top quilt is used by many on the ground with great success. It's all up to your style but certainly worth a look. Enlightened Equipment has some that are close to your desired range, depending on what specs you need. http://store.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Thanks all who have chimed in so far! I'm definitely open to buying used and keeping an eye on the sale section here as well as a couple facebook groups for hiking gear. Any other sites to watch for used gear? I'm looking for a bag (or I guess TQ?) and also a pack (specifically looking for an Osprey Ariel or Aura).

On the TQ vs sleeping bag debate, for those of you who have used a TQ on the ground, do you stay warm enough and fully covered through the night? For some reason I have it in my head that a bag, which is fully enclosed, would keep you warmer than just a TQ on the ground, but since I've never tried with a TQ I don't really know.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
    On the TQ vs sleeping bag debate, for those of you who have used a TQ on the ground, do you stay warm enough and fully covered through the night? For some reason I have it in my head that a bag, which is fully enclosed, would keep you warmer than just a TQ on the ground, but since I've never tried with a TQ I don't really know.
    I can get cold in two situations: 1) when I didn't pack correctly for the temperature (my fault, of course); 2) if I'm not careful when turning over and I create a gap (my fault). It doesn't take long to notice the gap! I'm not a calm sleeper on the ground and I do experience the air gaps sometimes - but I'll never (ever) go back to a traditional bag. I like less bulk, less weight, and being able to simply kick a leg out to vent (which can be done with a bag, of course, but there may be an extra step or two with the zippers). The concept of squishing your under insulation is the same, so with a proper ground mat, "it's all good."

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronMB View Post
    I can get cold in two situations: 1) when I didn't pack correctly for the temperature (my fault, of course); 2) if I'm not careful when turning over and I create a gap (my fault). It doesn't take long to notice the gap! I'm not a calm sleeper on the ground and I do experience the air gaps sometimes - but I'll never (ever) go back to a traditional bag. I like less bulk, less weight, and being able to simply kick a leg out to vent (which can be done with a bag, of course, but there may be an extra step or two with the zippers). The concept of squishing your under insulation is the same, so with a proper ground mat, "it's all good."
    +1. Takes a bit getting used to but in the end, the extra roominess and lighter weight are worthwhile tradeoffs - at least down to freezing. Below freezing those gaps get a bit more cold and I often move to a sleeping bag if I'm on the ground during those really cold times of year.

www.backpackinglight.com has a solid gear sale forum. There's a good chance you can get a used quilt or bag there.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    www.backpackinglight.com has a solid gear sale forum. There's a good chance you can get a used quilt or bag there.
    Good suggestion. (Duh!) That's actually where I bought the quilts my wife and I use! And much like here, their knowledge-base is also impressive.

edit: on a side note, FYI, on the GoLite quilt I have, there are two sets of loops on the sides/edges, to the left and right of the user. These enables one to use [provided] adjustable straps that can connected to each loop and run under the knees and lower back, respectively, to help keep the sides of the quilt from spreading out, or un-tucking too far from the body. Most of the time I don't bother but when it's cold, I use the lower one. The small strap is thin enough that I don't notice it much and it's a big help in keeping the wings of the quilt close to the body; clips on the strap make it quick.

I'm sure there are other quilt-makers out there that do this. It's an easy mod, if not.
    Last edited by AaronMB; 05-06-2014 at 20:10.

Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    +1. Takes a bit getting used to but in the end, the extra roominess and lighter weight are worthwhile tradeoffs - at least down to freezing. Below freezing those gaps get a bit more cold and I often move to a sleeping bag if I'm on the ground during those really cold times of year.

Thanks for the suggestion on the backpacking light website. Lots of stuff there! I don't really plan on camping in weather that cold. For one, I live in Georgia and it doesn't really get that cold here. I'm planning a thru-hike next year starting mid to late March, so I'm anticipating low teens and 20s for a couple weeks but don't expect it to be very cold for very long.

Another question, you mentioned roominess, I feel very claustrophobic/restricted in some sleeping bags. Quilts look like they would be even worse. Is this not the case?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast