Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pink Parachute Setup for Southern Style Porch

Back from Central America, and now sitting at my mom's house with no internet, so I am at the local library.
    I ordered one of those The Travel Hammock Pink Single Parachute Nylon Hammock from Amazon for my mom's southern style porch. It should arrive today.
    My question is what kind of hooks should I buy? I would need to put them into the circular columns, which I think are not solid, but hollow? What diameter? I don't think my mother would like me to put a bolt through, as that would look pretty ugly. Got to have it so I can bring the hammock back across and hang it from one hook or take it down easily so we can have the table spot back for afternoon tea. I meant to take a photo of it to give you experts a better idea, but I forgot it.
    I think someone also said to replace the S hooks on the hammock as the ones supplied by Travel Hammock are pretty mediocre.
    Thanks guys, I will check up on the forum tonight, but the dial up connection is the worst I have ever experienced.
    Lyndon

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    If it's solid, and you can put a bolt into it, a 3/8ths lag bolt would hold. It would need to be an eye bolt, probably 3.5 - 4" long.

However, if the columns are sturdy enough you can get away without screwing bolts into the column at all. Regular tree huggers should work fine, use them as slip-knots (run around the column, one end through the loop and pull tight).

Pictures would help.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

I agree. I will take some photos and then go to the library to post them.
    Heading to the Illinois River right now for a big catfish dinner.
    Meow!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    In my opinion I would not hang from porch columns. If they are hollow,( Knock on them, do they sound hollow?), then they are ussually ornamental, and not structural. I've installed some during my carpenter days and they are only held in place with a few nails top and bottom. Causing these to fail could be catastrophic, "TIMBER". They are holding up the roof. My deck railings are 2 x 6 pressure treated lumber and they didnt like the pressure of me stringing up my hammock, and became very loose. So , just a word of caution, try a hammock stand.

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    You might add another touch of pink to your setup...Pink aluminum rings

http://www.slingrings.com/colors.php#alum

And Strap Works has some pink webbing you could use as well.
    http://www.strapworks.com/webbing_an...brics_s/20.htm

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    In my opinion I would not hang from porch columns. If they are hollow,( Knock on them, do they sound hollow?), then they are ussually ornamental, and not structural. I've installed some during my carpenter days and they are only held in place with a few nails top and bottom. Causing these to fail could be catastrophic, "TIMBER". They are holding up the roof. My deck railings are 2 x 6 pressure treated lumber and they didnt like the pressure of me stringing up my hammock, and became very loose. So , just a word of caution, try a hammock stand.
    gargoyle, I will second that ! I would use a stand. I have re-built many old porches and all of the columns have been hollow, with very few nails in them. I wouldn't want to hang from them. Please use caution.
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Alright,
    Here are the photos. I show an old hook that I was planning to use, and those three columns are the ones I want to put a hook screw into. I think they are solid, guys.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Lyndon, first off, that is a beauty of a porch, I have already envisioned myself snoring while swaying in the breeze.... Second, they do look like nice strong columns, but I would recommend wrapping straps completetly around columns, not relying on the single hook, not knowing how long or old it is. A couple of wraps just above the hook should prevent any slippage.
    But you certainly have one of the nicest porches out there. Enjoy. Post some pics of pink hammock when it is up.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If I may borrow from some non-hammock experience I would discourage the use of hooks that have been screwed into the columns for any length of time. More than once I have tied my dog to a hook that i installed in a porch column out back. The hook has given way with a solid tug from my hound due to corrosion that had eaten away the metal at the entry way to the column. The hook looked good until it was subjected to any force. Then it broke. Paint on a hook may provide some protection against corrosion but it may also hide the corrosion that has already started. I vote for the straps.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Thanks, Gargoyle.
    But I was hoping to get a screw hook size? And I have bought a drill to start the starter hole??? What size diameter screw? What size drill bit? You are talking to a novice.
    And where to pick up nylon straps locally? I have a Home Depot and Wally World. That is about it.
    I like those pink rings cavscout.

I'm on the move, guys! Leaving for Salt Lake next Wednesday, and then for NYC on Friday, July17th.

Those that know, the bike trails along the KATY trail near my brother's house in Columbia, Missouri are just fantastic! Biked down to the Missouri River on Sunday, and then relaxed with a beverage, listening to a banjo player play songs from the 1800's to celebrate our nation's birthday. On Monday, biked the other way 18 miles on a trail that has you within a few feet of the Missouri River, with tall limestone cliffs on the other side. Had a wonderful lunch at a winery, and then headed back.
    Lyndon

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast