Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym
    Images

Tensegrity modified. Works great with Hennessey hammock.

2014-05-03 08.17.57.jpgAs many know BSA are using hammocks more and more but not all gathering site are hammock friendly. I went searching for a solution and found this site. Thank you for putting this forum together. Tons of useful information.
    Here is my revamp.
    I drive a small Kia with a 4' rack so wheels started turning there. I took my 8' lumber and cut into two 4' sections and placed a door hinge on each side so I could remove the pin from one side and fold. Lumber still remained very stout.
    In early testing I did not like the way ropes stretched so I used 1" webbing instead and also cut the cost. I opted for the reflective strap considering there are Scouts running everywhere in the dark. Next I eliminated the twist and movement of the supports by making solid connecting points. Also setup time is cut to 5 minutes. Hand sewed all straps.
    I hope I have added to the evolution of this design.
    Last pic is had to make out but it's the setup in the dark with a headlamp pointed at it. The thing looks like a space portal.
    Last edited by johnsshadow; 05-06-2014 at 06:52.

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    AWESOME! Would love to see a detailed drawing or list of lengths you cut materials. I really want to try this design. Any additional info would be great!

Hammock
    Images
    I will pull my orders and post the instructions shortly. Thank you

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear -Modded
    Insulation
    Onewind Top/Underq
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    You may now consider my interest piqued! Do you have some close-up shots of the hinge/pin setup on those struts?
    - We're never going to survive this!!
    - Nonsense. You only say that because no one ever has.

Hammock
    Images

Hammock
    DIYGS 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Blue HarborFreight
    Insulation
    sleeping bag & pad
    Suspension
    dynaglide UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsshadow View Post
    ooh, that is quite clever!

Hammock
    Images
    Sorry for the long wait on the plans. Quickly, 3 8' 2x4, the top 3 straps are each 14' including the 2" carabiners, the bottom and slant straps are 12'. The top, bottom, and slant straps I hand sewed with upholstery thread to add the carabiners. I purchased 6 cam straps, shortest I could find, cut down to 8" and sewed together with a loop at the end to insert the stakes. Stakes are 24" rebar and had a blacksmith friend put a crooked end on each. E TN we have red clay mud so 24" holds well. I'm sorry if I have left any details out. Please ask if needed.
    Setup I use an extra stake for center pivot. I use two of the 14' top straps to plot the stakes for setup. First measure out the first 14' point and place your stake with the joined cam straps. Then place your second 14' strap on the now placed measured stake and use the strap still on you center stake to measure 14' from the center and 14' from the stake just placed. Continue all the way round with all 6 stakes. Don't forget to place your cam straps on those. I thread the non carabiner end of all straps on the cams at this time. Leave @ 10' of length. I only thread them once. When I take it down I leave the straps attached to the cams forever. I lay my 2x4s in 3 equal places, between every other stake, inside the hexagon you have created pointing to the center. Place the 3 14' straps on your topmost D-rings forming a triangle. Next attach your top slant straps on the next lower D-rings on the opposite side of your 2x4s. Raise the 3 boards so standing they become stable by your slant straps. You can do one at a time or helps if some can lend a hand. Attach your lower straps to the lower D-rings. I try to make sure the tops of my board are @ 6.5 feet high. Usually my straps wind up a 9.5 feet in lenght. Then to make it solid I have someone pull the standing boards down while cinching the slant traps. You won't believe it. No movement.
    Again I am just writing out what comes to mind. Ask if you have any questions.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Std. HH Asym
    Insulation
    Living in FL./HHSS
    Suspension
    Stock HH - for now
    Terrific ideas here, John! I also drive a smaller car (and a convertible, to boot), so a stand with pieces no more than 4' in length is a must for me, too. Gonna have to get with some of my fellow Scout hangers and see about putting a few of these together for our Troop.

Two quick questions: 1) the holes in the 2 x 4s are left over from the rope set-up and aren't needed if you use the straps, right? 2 ) given your attachment set up, could you lighten up your set-up by using Amsteel?
    Last edited by darkknight0667; 03-17-2015 at 11:37.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    That looks awesome. I may have to try and put one of these together for car camping this summer with the kids.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Std. HH Asym
    Insulation
    Living in FL./HHSS
    Suspension
    Stock HH - for now
    Another question: Where'd you get your hardware (the anchor rings, etc.)?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast