Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Call David at Oware and see what he has available. He's currently offering 15 yards batches of grey or white silnylon 2nds for $39, $2.60 a yard, plus shipping but might be able to find you a roll.
    http://shop.bivysack.com/product.sc?...&categoryId=10

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters double
    Tarp
    DIY 12x11 hex/cat
    Insulation
    DIY no-sew PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    If you're willing to put in some sweat equity (this is the DIY forum after all!) - I would definitely have a look at buying a roll of nylon and doing the coating myself. Magna Fabrics has (untreated, non-calendared) 1.1 oz/SY ripstop nylon, 68" wide, for 39 to 59 cents per linear yard. For qty over 200 SY, your price is 0.39 per yard. Yes, shipping is high, but the end result is still *very* inexpensive. http://store.magnafabrics.com/produc...&product=33616

As an example - I bought 35 yards of this item, material price was $20.65, shipping added $24.78. Total price was $45.43, which still works out to $1.30 per yard. Yours will be even cheaper if you buy over 200 yards. And this is a 68" wide roll, compared to other vendors selling a 60" width.

Then you will put your sweat equity in by doing the silicone coating yourself, after each tarp is made. It is very easy, I had excellent results my first time coating my tarp. Both times I've used the tarp, it has rained heavily, and I've not found a single leak. I used a ratio of 1 silicone: 3 mineral spirits by weight - measure 100 grams of silicone into a bucket, then add 300 grams of spirits. Mix thoroughly (I used a few plastic cable ties strapped to a stick, and chucked up into my drill - did I mention I was cheap?) Apply with a 3" foam brush and allow to dry. There's a big thread here about the DIY silicone treatment.

I've got three more tarps to make for my family, and I'll definitely be doing it this way again!

Hope this helps!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12