Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

Paddling Mullica River 5/3/14

YouTube is still processing image stabilization but I thought I'd post this now.

What a great paddle down the Mullica River this weekend with new HF member pilsburythrowboy12 (Ron). I really wanted to see the river at 4.16 ft. stage (five feet is flood stage). Ron signed up for the trip on Friday night and I had a paddling/shuttle partner.

Ron had little sleep since he went turkey hunting early in the morning, then drove to Atsion. I was running late (which never happens!), We met at Atsion, loaded all the gear in my car, then shuttled his car to Batsto Village. We made small talk in the car. At some point, I asked him if he was married, but I had the window open so couldn't really hear his answer other than something about "my partner Mike."

We got on the river about 4:30 pm. I wish we had started earlier 'cause it was a beautiful day, but I wanted to get to camp with daylight to spare. Mission accomplished: we pulled into camp at 7:45 pm and had enough daylight to set up. Since throwboy is new to hammocks, I set up the gear. I gave Ron the following:

1) Tablecloth hammock - Dynaglide continuous loops through channel; Dynaglide ridgeline. Whoopie slings with Dutch hooks.
    2) HG 0* Burrow - may as well make him fall in love with Argon CS!
    3) HG 0* Incubator
    4) Grand Trunk Funky Forest Tarp

I used my DL tablecloth hammock (my favorite), HG 20* quilt set, and HG Winter Palace.

While I set up the hammocks, Ron went hog wild batoning wood, getting a fire started, and heating water for washing and rinsing dishes (he's a clean freak). We had some Jamaican beef patties as an appetizer - very good. Ron brought chicken thighs and commenced making a soup.

Last week my son and I camped without tarps, so I asked Ron if he wanted to do the same. He was pretty emphatic - he'd rather have the tarp just in case. Good call on his part, 'cause in the middle of making dinner a thunderstorm came through. We rushed under the tarps and the storm passed in about 20 minutes. The fire stayed lit so he commenced cooking dinner. We didn't eat till 11:00 pm but it was good: chicken bisque. He brought enough food for several people so I felt pretty bad that I couldn't make a dent in all he cooked.

Our conversation about marriage was bugging me, so I told him I hadn't heard his answer and asked if he was gay and I hadn't heard him coming out to me. He assured me he wasn't and we had a good laugh about it.

It rained at night, which made for beautiful sleep. I woke up about 5 am to pee, and look for a bottle of water (Ron had stashed them under his tarp). I looked around under his tarp but couldn't find them, but thought I'd check if he was warm - he had kicked the Burrow off him.

We got up around 9 am and Ron started a fire. He cooked honey venizon sausage on the grill, fried some eggs, and grilled some veggies. It was good - but again too much food for me. Lo and behold a hiker wandered into camp to get some water from the pump. Ron offered him some food and he ate all our leftovers.

We took our time paddling the lower Mullica. We stopped for lunch and had a couple of adult beverages and a Jersey Mike's sub. When we got to Constable Bridge I suddenly realized why the Waterwatch.gov website lists 5 ft. as flood stage. The water had risen to maybe 12 inches from touching the beams of Constable Bridge - so five feet would swamp the bridge. We sat there for quite a while trying to figure out if we had to portage around the bridge or somehow squeeze under the bridge. After some discussion we chose the under the bridge option. We had to lay in the bottom of the canoe, under the seats, with no part of our bodies above the gunwales, to get under. Of course, the current was swift and we ran into obstacles on the other side of the bridge. It probably took five minutes to get under the bridge. If Ratdog or SilentOrpheus were in our party, they would have had to portage.

My memory came back to me and I realized there were two more bridges before the Pleasant Mill pullout. The next one was a pedestrian bridge. We again chose the under option and it was a very tight squeeze - took us about ten minutes to get under it, fighting the current and obstacles. The final bridge had plenty clearance so no contortionist stuff required.

Another great paddling trip, and I give two thumbs up to pilsburythrowboy12 as a paddling partner:

1) Strong like bull
    2) Loves making fire (less for me to do)
    3) Loves cleaning pots and dishes, and he has a system (less for me to do)
    4) Crazy - he actually jumped off the shore into the canoe at one point. I soiled myself when he did it.

In conclusion, anything over 3.5 ft. flood stage on the Mullica will probably require a portage around two bridges (unless you're a contortionist). We saw several kayakers who went under but some were too fat to fit and had to portage. Some even bushwhacked around the bridge.

I think I was the only one who twerked at the pullout.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I called the Atsion Ranger station prior to the trip and the girl said, "I must advise you that there is a significant undercurrent on the Mullica. I know you've paddled the river before but I just wanted you to be aware." I thanked her for her advice, but started wondering, "What the heck does undercurrent have to do with canoeing?"

I called Ratdog to get a second opinion, and he opined, "I think she meant strong current, not undercurrent, but if you fall out of your canoe, then undercurrent may be a factor." She was reading off a script and I think she just added "under" to "current." The current was definitely strong.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR, Dream Hammock TB
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Good ole Dutch
    Glad you had a good time, I was over at the Batona campground for the night, and I was debating setting up the tarp myself when I got there. Sure glad I decided to... that thunderstorm was short but gave a good soaking as well as quite a good light show with fantastic surround sound effects, Kind of felt like dinner and a movie.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aircoder View Post
    Glad you had a good time, I was over at the Batona campground for the night, and I was debating setting up the tarp myself when I got there. Sure glad I decided to... that thunderstorm was short but gave a good soaking as well as quite a good light show with fantastic surround sound effects, Kind of felt like dinner and a movie.
    Definitely an awesome sound and light display - and its short duration was an added bonus! Wouldn't have wanted to endure that all night.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    While we were at the pullout, a young Statey (NJ State Park Police) pulled up and commenced interrogating us. He demanded to know where we put in and how long each leg took. He was considering paddling the river on his day off and was gathering intel from his confidential informants. We snitched.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR, Dream Hammock TB
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Good ole Dutch
    hahha making friends in all the right places.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Friends, hmm, be careful with the stateys here in jersey, the young ones are the most dangerous, start asking questions in a nice friendly voice and the next thing you know your thinking - what did i say ? why do you want me to sit in your car? just saying..

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Sounds like another great time on the water.
    Sorry to have missed it as there would have been no "extra" food had I been there.

Bridges were one of my concerns, that and down trees with the fast flow.
    There would have been no way for me to get low in the canoe, amazing you guys did that the way that canoe was loaded.

What was the paddle time on the second leg? 3 hours?
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Senior Member pilsburythrowboy12's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WB mamba, HG Incub
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles