The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!

Lady Hammockers thread

Hello ladies and gents, I would love to have a thread that talks about how we have do some things differently than our dear gentlemen. For instance: do you even fully change in the woods? In your hammock.
    My longest trip has only been three days. I can totally live with staying in the same clothes up top for that long. In the fall I'll be out for a week or more. How do you discretely change your short and bra in the hammock?
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-11-2016 at 21:53.
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Way to go lilprincess! Looking forward to sharing this thread with my daughters🌟
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    We have a saying on river rafting trips....."you don't have privacy, you give privacy." I'd just announce that you need a little privacy, and duck under your tarp. The art of the quick change takes practice, but folks can avert their eyes or turn their back for a few minutes. On rafting trips, we have the luxury of using solar showers in camp. After they warm up, we pick a shower spot & suspend the showers. Everyone gets a turn. The rest of the group moves a short distance away, and faces their camp chairs the other direction. The shower taker then announces when they are done and the next person goes to shower. Discuss the ground rules up front with your hiking partners and I'm sure they will give you some privacy. I'm going on my first group hang next month, so I'll be doing the quick change under the tarp.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Privacy was one of the considerations I had in mind when I did my DIY tarp. It's 12' long PLUS the doors on both ends. The pull outs are both great for my bridge hammock and also for giving me more inside room. Pitched so that I have standing room (ok, I'm short..lol) I'm only visible from the knees down. I can either sit in the hammock and dress or I can sit in a camp chair and change. Normally I end up sitting in the hammock with all my clothes and stuff piled in the chair in front of me.

On a frontcountry trip I even packed a 5 gallon lidded container and used it for nighttime necessities instead of having to stumble down the road to the outhouse.

On group camping trips in the backcountry, most of the others are in tents..sad I know...so I deliberately choose a spot where I've got some natural privacy. They're stuck finding level spots, I can hang down by the lake or back in the trees. With a little planning I get all the privacy I want. Okay, I don't stand around for any length of time buck naked but changing completely and doing washups isn't a problem.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    When I want privacy I do about the same thing I do at home. I shut the door

I set up so I can pull my tarp down into A Frame then install a Grizz Beak on the end (if there is one) that faces the camp. I am also not shy about announcing what I am doing be it changing clothing or cleaning up. Besides, if someone "peeks" in at me, I am not responsible if they go blind!!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    WB adj. webbing
    Interesting thread! I've recently made the switch to hammocking, and I haven't yet been to the backcountry with it (got a trip planned in June, though). I've been wondering how easy it will be to change with just a tarp for cover, but hopefully my companions will be polite to avert their eyes. And, as others have mentioned, I can perhaps get tucked away back in the trees a bit more as well. We shall see. I guess I just won't worry about it TOO much, since I've always had to drop my drawers for potty breaks, and I've been known to "bathe" in mountain streams, which are rarely completely secluded from passers-by on the trail. It's all part of the adventure!
    Last edited by gmcttr; 05-03-2014 at 11:41. Reason: Removed a question that was sure to start a conversation that would not be considered family friendly.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Just a reminder...ladies thread or not, this must remain family friendly.

We'll see, but look for this thread to be moved to the Off Topic forum as it appears it will be centered on general camping/hiking issues and not hammock specific.

For tarp privacy our silnylon tarp has worked great for my wife, also added some 2QZQ Grizz Beaks for wintertime.

A possibility for lighter weight like cuben I would say privacy would be almost none as it's plenty see-though. Although the new camo cuben may be better, although I don't personally know as I haven't yet to see it in person.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    So far, my daughters of 8 and 10 have been able to change in the hammocks with the tarps blocking the view of others. We have found bathroom break spots with enough distance or seclusion from others.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    We'll see, but look for this thread to be moved to the Off Topic forum as it appears it will be centered on general camping/hiking issues and not hammock specific.
    Huh? The 'privacy issue' is completely hammock-specific, and IMO is one reason for the huge preponderance of male hammockers. When I mentioned hammocking to my wife, the 'lack of privacy' was the instant response.

Not an issue in a tent. Even cowboy camping or in a bivy sac, you can get changed while being (mostly) 'covered up'.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast