Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Not a lady but dealing with this concern in Scouting is one of the main reasons I use a tarp with doors year round. I try to set the tarp low enough so that the most someone would see are my naked shins & feet.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, WBBB 1.1 & 1.7 dbl,
    Tarp
    HG CF, SF, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20*Phx,WL 15*TQ
    Suspension
    Straps, buckles
    I absolutely think this thread( privacy issue) is relative to hammock camping and now I am very curious what had to be edited as not to be family related. Maybe questions like how women have to deal with having periods in the woods? Ladies, heads up, the Mods are interested in our thread so please be sure to contribute to the conversation so we can be sure we are heard and understood!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    When group camping, I take a poncho, drop the tarp sides down, and close the doors (I usually take a tarp with doors for group trips). I have done a bath and complete change of clothes while wearing the poncho under my tarp (I usually use a cuben tarp which is like a translucent window). This set up provides coverage and freedom of movement.
    When hiking solo, I just sit in the hammock and change. If with a couple of friends (usually male friends that are tent campers), I just set up in a more secluded place, and being friends, they respect my privacy.
    I think most people will respect the privacy of others, if they are made aware that you need the privacy.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    This is a relevant to all question. We rough camp a lot with 3 males and 3 females. We bring a light weight longer but narrow tarp and wrap it around trees close enough together in a square ish shape. Allows you to walk in and around to the center where we also set up a shower. Hot bag or sprayer bottle shower.

Hammock
    HH Exped Zip
    As a female scout leader who sleeps in a hammock finding privacy can be a challenge. I use a large tarp and fold the ends in like doors, it gives plenty of privacy for changing and washing.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I've used most of the aforementioned methods: Site selection with privacy in mind, changing clothes while laying in the hammock, turning my back to the group/public area, announcing that I need privacy, poncho, doors on the tarp, and changing in the dark. I always change into sleep clothes at night. I wear a camisole instead of a bra, so if anybody sees it they don't see much. A gatoraide bottle works as a nighttime pee bottle (hold it very close and practice at home). I also have a she wee so I don't have to totally drop my drawers in the woods during the day.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammock mama View Post
    As a female scout leader who sleeps in a hammock finding privacy can be a challenge. I use a large tarp and fold the ends in like doors, it gives plenty of privacy for changing and washing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormstaff View Post
    Not a lady but dealing with this concern in Scouting is one of the main reasons I use a tarp with doors year round. I try to set the tarp low enough so that the most someone would see are my naked shins & feet.
    +1. Also a scouter. Best option is doors. Close those and as long as the bottom of the tarp is low enough, it's not a problem at all. In fact, as long as the setup is right, I vastly prefer a tarp to tent for changing. It's SO much easier to do so standing up on a piece of tyvek or ground sheet, all with a convenient chair already right there - then trying to maneuver inside a small backpacking tent.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!

Lady hammockers thread

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I realized this weekend that the angle of set up is key as well. If you are all in a line, doors to doors instead of sides to sides, there is a lot less privacy, especially those with just a hex tarp. I've certainly gotten to be an expert at the changing and using the hammock as a chair and a mat under my feet. Thanks for the ideas for when I need to change a bit more than just my outer garments, and for staying clean.

I do hope this thread stays here, there are some serious concerns that girls have when camping in a hammock compared to a tent.
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I was in the Army for 20 years and it can be a challenge to change in the presence of others. I have gotten to the age I don't care as much, so I just go under my tarp and change. If something shows, so be it. If it bothers you, don't look. It can be easier to change under a poncho, (did that in the Army), and as mentioned earlier, setting up a long tarp or fabric around a few trees for a changing/shower area is a good idea. (did that in the Army also)
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Poncho. Good idea, though I'm guessing most of us could do it with just a shirt. I'm kinda with lilprincess; I don't change unless absolutely necessary. I go to bed late at group events, so sometimes I just make sure there are no lights near me, set my stuff out, turn off my headlamp and do it in the dark. Always the chance of some one getting up, I guess that's a risk I take. I've also done the...stealthily look around...coast is clear...ok MAD DASH!!! 3.5 second change! Never been caught...that I know of...

GrannyPat, didn't know the bottle thing could be done. Where do you practice that? In the bath tub? And can I just ask, am I the only one who can't seem to help getting splatter all over the bottoms of my pants when I pee? Grass is the best but there's no grass back in the woods! I use that "turn off my headlamp thing" to pee in the middle of the night too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast