Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by dunestunes View Post
    Hi all, jumping into this thread almost 300 posts in (pretty new to the forum)... but I'm curious how many lady hammockers are using a 3/4 underquilt versus a full-length underquilt.

I'm strongly considering making the transition from pad to underquilt in the hopes that I'll be warmer, more comfortable, and able to push my hammocking exploits earlier into the spring and later into the fall. I think I'm pretty much decided on a 20 degree quilt from Hammock Gear (maybe with an ounce or two of overfill), but I can't seem to make up my mind re: 3/4 or full length.

On one hand I'm shorter than most guys (5'4"), so the 3/4 pad would cover more of me than it would a guy and a small pad would easily cover my feet without leaving any gaps. On the other hand, I also have lower blood pressure than most guys (i.e. my feet are always freezing), so maybe a full length quilt would be a safer bet -- especially since it doesn't seem to add too much weight.

Right now I'm leaning towards full-length, but yesterday I was leaning 3/4... so I'd love to hear people's experiences with one/the other/both.
    Hi Dunestunes,

I am short at barely 5 feet tall but I have a full length quilt. I initially tried a 1/2 quilt but did not love it. I move around at night a lot and somehow it doesn't work that well for me with a pad at my feet, it slips out. I have a 20 degree with 2 oz of overstuff from HG and I like it. I feel it isn't that much bigger or heavier (I am not a gram weenie). I am into comfort. One thing you should check out though is how cold you tend to be and the lowest temp you will be camping. That should be an ok temp rating for you with the overstuff, and of course your feet will be warm if you have a good top quilt or sleeping bag. You could also get down booties if your feet get cold. You will thank yourself for getting off a pad. When my pad stayed in place it was comfy, but it never did stay in place. Good luck and hope this helps.

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Quote Originally Posted by lilprincess View Post
    I actually had HG make me a short version. I'm 5'2" and it is just a bit longer than me. Keeps me very warm and I can easily stretch out. The full length was to big, I couldn't keep all that insulation warm, and the 3/4 was too small.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Huh, that option hadn't even occurred to me. How much longer than you is the quilt in inches? Looks like their official "short" version is 73", meaning its almost a foot longer than I am tall.

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Quote Originally Posted by tollermama View Post
    Hi Dunestunes,

I am short at barely 5 feet tall but I have a full length quilt. I initially tried a 1/2 quilt but did not love it. I move around at night a lot and somehow it doesn't work that well for me with a pad at my feet, it slips out. I have a 20 degree with 2 oz of overstuff from HG and I like it. I feel it isn't that much bigger or heavier (I am not a gram weenie). I am into comfort. One thing you should check out though is how cold you tend to be and the lowest temp you will be camping. That should be an ok temp rating for you with the overstuff, and of course your feet will be warm if you have a good top quilt or sleeping bag. You could also get down booties if your feet get cold. You will thank yourself for getting off a pad. When my pad stayed in place it was comfy, but it never did stay in place. Good luck and hope this helps.
    Thanks, definitely helps! How low are you able to take your quilt, temperature-wise? I've read the extra ounces of overstuff add something like 5 degrees each, curious if that's true. I definitely sleep cold and I'd like to be able to comfortably sleep down to around 20 degrees or so, as it pretty rarely drops below that here. That said, I don't know if I'd actually take advantage of that lower boundary very often. So I'm hoping a 20 degree quilt with a couple of ounces of overstuff will do the trick.

I admit to being a bit of a gram weenie sometimes (at least, when I can afford it), otherwise this wouldn't be much of a decision at all. But considering that I'd have to bring a foot pad with the 3/4 anyways, the weight difference is something like 2 or 3oz. A good night's sleep is probably worth at least that.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    I'm a really cold sleeper and I'm 5'6". I don't think I would go with a 3/4.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Before The Terminator ( my wife ) switched to a Ridge Runner she used a BlackBird with a 3/4 length UQ. Of course as she is 5ft 3, a 3/4 length UQ was more like a full length for her. I know she spend some nights in the low 30's in it and stayed warm.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    I'm a really cold sleeper and I'm 5'6". I don't think I would go with a 3/4.
    That seems to be the consensus, so I guess I'll probably go with the full length. Guessing I'm less likely to regret buying a full length than I am a 3/4, and that in itself is probably a pretty good indication of what I should do.

Before The Terminator ( my wife ) switched to a Ridge Runner she used a BlackBird with a 3/4 length UQ. Of course as she is 5ft 3, a 3/4 length UQ was more like a full length for her. I know she spend some nights in the low 30's in it and stayed warm.
    Even without a footpad? Anyone nicknamed after an (almost) indestructible robot from the future probably has a better cold tolerance than I do.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    At 5'4"a 7/8 (66") would work. I'm 5'7.5" and got a 71" UQ from UGQ and it's a few inches longer than I need, but I like a little wiggle room.

I prefer full-length (for me), because my heels get cold, unless it's 70˚F or higher, and I don't use a pillow.

Images
    I vote for a full length underquilt that fits you. I don't like wrestling with a foot pad (it keeps slipping out of place). My 3/4 underquilt likes to pop out of place too (I'll wake up freezing in mild weather wondering why and find the quilt is not under me but beside me).

Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!
    Quote Originally Posted by dunestunes View Post
    Huh, that option hadn't even occurred to me. How much longer than you is the quilt in inches? Looks like their official "short" version is 73", meaning its almost a foot longer than I am tall.
    The extra foot for me made a huge difference. Better to go colder than warmer. The UQ is the most important in my opinion. You can change the top to the weather but a good foundation is important.

The full was too cold for me. Too much to keep warm. I'm a super cold sleeper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Ladies..... we need your input on this thread....

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...iifc-Sub-forum
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

• + New Posts
  • Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast