Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    We have a saying on river rafting trips....."you don't have privacy, you give privacy." I'd just announce that you need a little privacy, and duck under your tarp. The art of the quick change takes practice, but folks can avert their eyes or turn their back for a few minutes. On rafting trips, we have the luxury of using solar showers in camp. After they warm up, we pick a shower spot & suspend the showers. Everyone gets a turn. The rest of the group moves a short distance away, and faces their camp chairs the other direction. The shower taker then announces when they are done and the next person goes to shower. Discuss the ground rules up front with your hiking partners and I'm sure they will give you some privacy. I'm going on my first group hang next month, so I'll be doing the quick change under the tarp.
    Sounds like a good system when yours is the only group in the area.
    How would you make this system work with 10 independent groups (not unusual in some campsites in my area..) in one area?

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I've changed in a nightshirt. No problem.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I've changed in a nightshirt. No problem.
    How do you get your bra changed with your arms in a nightshirt?

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    How do you get your bra changed with your arms in a nightshirt?
    http://voices.yahoo.com/how-change-b...t-7752075.html

It's relatively easy to change upper garments without first removing them completely.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Just a reminder...ladies thread or not, this must remain family friendly.

We'll see, but look for this thread to be moved to the Off Topic forum as it appears it will be centered on general camping/hiking issues and not hammock specific.
    Just out of curiosity: what would not be family friendly in a thread like this? And I also think that this is highly relevant to hammocking, because tents provide a lot more privacy in my opinion.

I don't find changing clothes so much of a problem than staying reasonably clean - a problem I would have if I were to take a tent just the same. When I had to stay in a backcountry campsite with little privacy and lots of people, and my hammock was also hanging very close to the area where everybody was eating and meeting up, I simply waited until it was dark, and then changed while I sat in the hammock.

Washing up is another issue, and I haven't solved this, yet. Up to now I have mostly hiked alone, and often set up camp early. This meant that I had the site for myself for some time, before other hikers showed up. Enough time to do a quick "catlick". I guess there would also be the possibility to take my tarp and set it up as a kind of screen or shower stall. Asking for privacy would work, but I would only trust people I know - not so much strangers I just met at the campsite.

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images
    The lack of privacy in a hammock is a real hammock issue to women. When the tenter's boo hoo hammocks this is the issue which is always number one or two of their talking points. What works for me, is to set up camp w/hammock and tarp. I usually deploy the tarp in the High porch mode, with the open side away from my camping group. I sit in the hammock, with my feet on my tyvek ground mat. I change my upper body sitting in the hammock and only have to stand once to change my lower body. As for cleaning up, I carry a cut-off gallon milk jug for a very light sink, or a gallon freezer bag, which I place at my feet. Then wash up as needed. Hygiene duties complete I drop the tarp into regular porch mode, and head to the group area a happy, clean hiker.

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images

All Women Hang

I orginally posted this in Hangouts, Camping and Trip Planning in the Southeast section. So since it is women specfic to Ladies, I will repost it here.

I was reading Thistle's new post about her shyness to coming to a Group Hang without her hubby. This got me thinking, oh my. Their are probably other women hangers out there that would love to come to a Group Hang, but are concerned about going without anyone they know into a hang with strange men, and you men know who you are You guys are the greatest, this is the best forum on the planet, and I have met a lot of you at hangs. But, this isn't about how wonderful, and gaseous you guys are at hangs. This is about getting women involved in Hammocks.

So ladies .... any interest in an all women hanging weekend? We could go to the Red River Gorge, we could hike into to a site, or camp close to the cars if you would feel more comfortable? Putting the thought out there ....

Update from the interest I have received; we are looking at a having a hang in July. Area we are looking at is around the Grayson Highlands or New River Gorge NP. It will probably be a campground, so the truly hesitant can be close to their cars.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Insaniac99 View Post
    http://voices.yahoo.com/how-change-b...t-7752075.html

It's relatively easy to change upper garments without first removing them completely.
    This is a skill that all women have, and all men are baffled by.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Just out of curiosity: what would not be family friendly in a thread like this?...
    One post has already been edited to insure this thread did not get closed. I would explain it, but I would have to edit out my explaination.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    Sounds like a good system when yours is the only group in the area.
    How would you make this system work with 10 independent groups (not unusual in some campsites in my area..) in one area?
    Yep, that would be a problem. I suppose I'll find out how all this "under the tarp" business works when I attend my first hang next month. Getting creative with tarp placement and lowering the sides will be a learning experience.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast