Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSoul View Post
    I have been backpacking and hammocking since August 2015. I have completed the first 240 miles of the AT in my hammock. I am at a point where it's a bit harder to do sections since the drive to the end is longer. I live in the Atlanta area and was hoping to find women in this area (TN/NC/GA) with backpacking/hammocking experience so I can pick their brain. I'll keep checking back. Thanks everyone for all the great info here.
    Ask away, I've done that section several times in a hammock. I'm sure once you post your question you will get lots of answers. This group is a pretty helpful lot.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    When I want privacy I do about the same thing I do at home. I shut the door

I set up so I can pull my tarp down into A Frame then install a Grizz Beak on the end (if there is one) that faces the camp. I am also not shy about announcing what I am doing be it changing clothing or cleaning up. Besides, if someone "peeks" in at me, I am not responsible if they go blind!!
    Such a cool reply.

I usually require privacy to protect others or if near the sea I may get mistaken for a walrus or beached whale and harpooned

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Happy Mothers Day to You All!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    I know the whole issue of having to go to the bathroom has been addressed before but I was wondering about hammocks and bugnets. I am annoyed that I have to get out of my hammock, but anatomy is what it is. But... Is it more convenient to have a zipper net or the Fronkey style. Pros and cons of each?

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    For me, I like the zipper bug net. Others take to long and that is not good. The zippered net does not require me to think too much in the middle of the night and I make sure that the zipper pull is pretty much in the same place. Fronkey style, I expect, would work well, but I hate thinking too much or fumbling with netting. I also have a tendency when getting back in the hammock to sit into the netting, and this is less of an issue if it is a zippered net.

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images
    I'm a lazy backpacker, the less thought I have to put in to my equipment the better. With that being said, I like the zipper. I keep the pulls at my shoulder, so I know where they are at all times. Easy in and out. It is fun to try all kinds before you pick one.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    I'm a guy, but I doubt there's much difference between guys and gals when it comes to needing to getting out of your netting in a hurry.
    My netting has a bottom opening. What I did was sew a channel around the opening and thread through a nylon strap.

This does two things:

it weights the bottom of the netting (which keeps it tensioned for a clear unwrinkled view while also keeping it pressed against the sides of your hammock to keep the skeeters from finding a way in, and the wind from lifting it like Marilyn Monroe's skirt in that famous photo, letting in all the skeeters)

And, it gives your net opening an "edge" that you can find in a hurry with your feet... No worries about a zipper getting jammed. I just put my shoes on, find the edge with my toes and lift it over my head as I get out.

I experimented with other weighting methods after the waking up with mosquitoes buzzing around a few times when the wind had opened up gaps. Rock pockets, Sewn in magnets, they worked mostly but left gaps along the sides, and finding the opening could be tough and I ripped these earlier versions thinking I'd found the opening when I hadn't. It was two 6ft by 1" utility straps from the camping section at Walmart, buckled together, end to end. As a closed loop it makes an opening smaller than the width of my hammock with me in it but big enough to put over my head while I'm seated in my hammock.

Nothing worse than a stuck zipper combined with late night bathroom emergency, or, I guess ANY emergency

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!
    I have has both and really enjoy my fronkey style. It means that I can sit up and get my shoes on with minimal bug exposure.
    I don't have a problem with bugs coming in if I cinch it on the bottom and when I am laying down in the hammock the net touches my under quilt and seals me in
    Also I can remove it in the colder months when the bugs are sleeping and leave it at home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Quote Originally Posted by jadekayak View Post
    Such a cool reply.

I usually require privacy to protect others or if near the sea I may get mistaken for a walrus or beached whale and harpooned
    I typically end up with Captain Ahab chasing me when I get near a beach with exposed flesh. . .not nearly tan enough to be mistaken for a walrus.

I prefer a zipper integrated net. Easy in and out. I used the 360 style net for a bit and while it worked fine it was heavy and bulky. No experience with a Fronkey style though.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I posted this in the paddling forum, but someone suggested it might be helpful in this thread as well for lady paddlers. I shared my kayak toilet set-up that I used on a recent 4 day kayak trip on the Colorado River in Utah. We were a group of 4 guys and two gals. We were required to use a "wag bag" type toilet, and we were allowed to carry out the used bags in a dry bag. Some rivers require that the used bags be carried out in a hard sided container. I don't know about the rest of you ladies, but I really prefer a "real-ish" toilet. I was happy to discover the Turbo Toilet at Emergency Essentials Store here in Salt Lake City. It packs down flat, fits in my medium sized kayak hatch, and pops up easily to hold a wag bag. It will support 330 lb. , had a sturdy metal frame inside it, and it's much easier to fold up and store than the Pett type toilets with the folding legs. We used 1-2 bags per camp/day (3-4 deposits per bag). I used the Rest Stop II brand bag this time and prefer them over the Cleanwaste brand. Much easier to unfold, use, fold up, stow in the zip lock bag, and way less odor than the Cleanwaste. Here are some pictures of the toilet. It can be found online at Black pine.com or Amazon. I transport it in a dry bag and it weighs 4.5lb in the dry bag. Picture #3 shows it set up for use, with the carry dry bag acting as a cover when not in use. We would set the other dry bag with the new(unused bags) on top to keep the wind from blowing it off. We had no problem with wind or critters messing with it like this, but that could be an issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

• + New Posts
  • Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast