Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    See what happens when I go bustin up in the womens thread?!? Had my wife seen me typing, she would have warned me against it.

Sorry, but the issue is near and dear to my heart. Bottom line -- we all need to be prepared and be observant when we're out enjoying nature. Each of us must find his or her own way to do this.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm retreating to the "man side" of the forum where I belong...

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    I for one am glad men are commenting on this thread. You're welcome here Klauss!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Rainfly 70D
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryRoads View Post
    I for one am glad men are commenting on this thread. You're welcome here Klauss!
    Well, we do care.... now I'll be sliding back to the other side as well!
    Adahy

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    Countryroads - glad you were able to get away safely. I had a similar experience with someone appearing to follow me. To keep them from following you home, you could drive to your nearest police station. That should shake the "bad guy/gal".

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaussinator View Post
    See what happens when I go bustin up in the womens thread?!? Had my wife seen me typing, she would have warned me against it.

Sorry, but the issue is near and dear to my heart. Bottom line -- we all need to be prepared and be observant when we're out enjoying nature. Each of us must find his or her own way to do this.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm retreating to the "man side" of the forum where I belong...

-Klauss
    I think it is fine that guys visit. Many are trying to get their wives, daughters, girlfriends, etc. into the woods and they have questions on how to resolve certain issues. Just be warned, guys, that you may be embarrassed here.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by carmen2kayak View Post
    Countryroads - glad you were able to get away safely. I had a similar experience with someone appearing to follow me. To keep them from following you home, you could drive to your nearest police station. That should shake the "bad guy/gal".
    Good idea. I happened to be a 5 min walk from my house that's why I waited around so long to shake that guy, and I did, watched him head into town and I went the opposite direction. I'm still shaken up. I don't know if I'll ever hike there again. What was so scary was that he knew he was freaking me out and seemed to enjoy that, and just that empty stare he gave me. Creepy! He wanted to be the one following me...he must have only went a short ways down the side trail then turned around and came back on the main trail so he could follow me. Also he must turned around almost immediately after I passed him on my way out, then popping out right by the bridge (just a walking bridge). The more I think about it the more I feel like I really dodged a bullet. BE CAREFUL WOMEN! Hike with a friend! Be hyper vigilant!

Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    Just be warned, guys, that you may be embarrassed here.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Hey everyone!

I'm normally a soloist. I haven't camped with people for a long time, but if I do, I go with people I'm comfortable with and trust them to avert their eyes if I am peeing or changing. However, if I do go with a group I am not so intimate with and am in my hammock, I'll change in the hammock itself. I sit and put my pants on all the time in my Mayan, so it wouldn't be an issue with me.

I try to be as stealth as possible. Most people have boundaries, see a campsite and move on, but not everyone does, especially those who have been drinking, or have bad intentions. And not everyone equates a hammock to being a campsite, and they approach out of curiosity, kind of wanting to see or maybe even try it out? So out of site, out of mind is what I'm going for there. And honestly, some men have boundaries with men, but not with women, and will approach in a way they wouldn't with men. If I hear anyone settle near my site, I move quickly and quietly before they discover me. One of the things that drew me to hammocks in the first place was the ease of set-up / takedown and their stealthiness (is that a word?), for this very purpose.

As far as being in an unsafe situation, I have also been followed on a trail, and there were other people, but the guy was waiting for that one moment there wouldn't be. The second time I saw him, I called him on what he was doing. The third time, when he jumped into the bush right beside me, I yelled at him and then ran to a main area of the park where I knew people would be. His face will forever be imprinted on my mind.

My biggest advice as far as self defence is concerned, is if you go alone, have no injuries whatsoever, be able to run, listen to your instincts, use your voice, and if need be, bear spray, and run again. If he gets close enough, take his picture, I've heard that freaks them out enough for them to stop, but that's more in the city, not sure if it would apply in the woods. However, at least there's evidence.

And GrannyPat, congrats on the Gatorade bottle achievement! Ha ha!

Hammock
    Sheltowee 'Jemima'
    Tarp
    JacksRBetter HUGE
    Insulation
    Burrow/integrated
    Suspension
    of course!
    Images
    I am 4'11", 109lbs and the nice man made my 0* Burrow just my size. So did the nice man at ULA who made my small Camino panel loader. Love those guys. Hope to meet them some day. My Blackbird fits fine, far as I can tell. I have a big tarp, capable of doors when needed, and the last thing I worry about "out in Nature" is someone getting a look at my aging skin when I change clothes.

As for relieving myself, I hike in a sport kilt so 'dropping my drawers' is unnecessary. Being "of a certain age" I have no worries about what day of the month it is anymore.

I have adapted Mad777's cleanup routine the last year, and am very happy with it. I 'bathe' with no-rinse shampoo and also clean my hair as well as I can. Then I change into camp clothes. Underclothing is washed every evening, camp clothes are the only thing I wear into the hammock, and only if necessary.

Granted, the longest I've been out was 5 days, but it works for me so far.
    Real Freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. ~ Charles Lindbergh

Hammock
    Tablecloth
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    MightyMouse, can you say more about your 'sport kilt'? Or point me to a website? Never thought about such a thing but I can see a lot of advantages. Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Cali, from SC. hikes in a kilt too.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast