Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!
    So glad you are safe! That's so scary! You need an FID card for mace but you can have bear spray in MA. I like the knife idea.
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    honestly, i change wherever. even if there are guys around. if they haven't seen a woman's body before, well, i guess i'm the first in their dreams. (obviously i try to hide when there are kids around, but rarely do i camp with kids) haha. if you don't wanna see me changing, i always give ppl a heads up to turn the other way because i'm getting dressed. usually, they do turn around just out of respect. to me, there's just no sense in turning a 3 min deal into a 10 min deal just by cramping up the space to do it.

as for being that time of the month, well, i haven't camped during that time yet, i've lucked out with planning ha. but i hear that using the flow cups is the best. the she wee is a great idea as well. definitely makes our (women) lives easier when in the great outdoors. the only thing that you can do is try diff ways of doing things (especially with changing) and see what fits and helps the most. just don't let such a small daily routine become so stressful that it ruins your trip!

Hammock
    DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    Scary! You could have started blowing your whistle--this guy would not like the attention it brought. Down at the track, could have called 911. Doesn't hurt to call and let them know you are being followed. I carry. You may not have that option in MA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adahy View Post
    Sounds like he was trying to scare you if nothing else! Not sure about MA laws but taser, or bear spray would be smart. Or better yet as the old saying goes "there's safety in numbers".

Glad you're safe!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshower View Post
    OMG glad you're safe! No harm calling 911 loudly so he can hear you.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilprincess View Post
    So glad you are safe! That's so scary! You need an FID card for mace but you can have bear spray in MA. I like the knife idea.
    Thanks.

I had a whistle and phone but it didn't occur to me to use the whistle or to call 911. I guess I thought maybe I was being paranoid, but I just had a really bad feeling in my gut. Once I got off the trail and out near the track I felt pretty secure since there were a few people running there. I carry too, have a MA LTC, but wasn't on this hike. I will next time!

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    For short trips packing out the tampons or pads works fine using bags within bags and if you are worried about smell the easiest lightest solution is a single scented wipe in the biggest bag.

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryRoads View Post
    I carry too, have a MA LTC, but wasn't on this hike. I will next time!
    #1, I'm glad you're safe! Always, always, ALWAYS trust your gut! Sounds like you did a great job of being aware of your surroundings. Many people don't notice such things and sadly, they become victims.

#2, Your gun does no good at home or left in your car! Find a way that works for you to carry it -- and then carry it! You have no way of knowing which day things could go bad, so if you have the tools to protect yourself, you've got to have them available when you'd least expect to need them.

As an ex-LEO, I still carry everyday, and work to maintain the skills necessary to ensure that neither I nor the ones I love will become the next victim. But I can assure you that when I worked the streets, trusting my gut saved me more times than any of the tools on my belt.

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Please let the discussion of firearms end here. Thank you.

HF Terms of Service..."IV. Political, Religious and Controversial Posts. Hammock Forums has a strict rule against political, religious, and firearm related posts. This isn't about First Amendment rights but about keeping this particular site respectful and on-topic. The moderators will delete such posts, often without notification to the poster."

Hammock
    DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Please let the discussion of firearms end here. Thank you.

HF Terms of Service..."IV. Political, Religious and Controversial Posts. Hammock Forums has a strict rule against political, religious, and firearm related posts. This isn't about First Amendment rights but about keeping this particular site respectful and on-topic. The moderators will delete such posts, often without notification to the poster."
    Sorry gmcttr. I was aware of that rule per other posts in this thread and understand the need for such rules. I was trying to be discreet. Discussion ends here.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I'm sorry.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I hope I am not violating the rule, but I suggest bear spray for Self-defense if you can't get pepper spray. The reason is that if your actions ever come under scrutiny in a court of law then the use of those products are easier to defend the deployment. A knife, even only brandished constitutes a lethal weapon and has a much higher standard of proof to show that it was necessary than using pepper or bear spray.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryRoads View Post
    Sorry gmcttr. I was aware of that rule per other posts in this thread and understand the need for such rules. I was trying to be discreet. Discussion ends here.
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    I'm sorry.
    Not a problem. Considering the topic, I thought a few references were appropriate, but it appeared headed over the line.

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast