Warbonnet Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle

Partial Length Underquilt

Ok, I realize this has been rehashed multiple times...

But here is my dilemma. I currently have a 20 degree HG Incubator short and a 20 degree HG Burrow. I am thinking about getting a partial length quilt to save space and weight. I always carry some form of a pad that would work for leg insulation anyway be it a foam campchair that lays out flat or a ridgerest or the pad from my Mountain Hardwear Thruway 50 pack. I live in Tennessee and I rarely camp in the super cold weather but could see it getting into the high teens at the lowest possible.

My question is this, should I go with the 3 season Yeti from Warbonnet or the 40 degree Phoenix from HG? I know that this seems like an odd combination, but they are within 1 oz of weight due to the Phoenix being a longer quilt. Not to mention the ability to easily vent the partial length quilts would mean that a warmer quilt is not necessarily a bad thing.

My thought as well is that, if I went with the Yeti, I could sell the Incubator for close to what I paid for it and use that to purchase a 40 degree burrow and give myself a lot of good options for packing for the elements while minimizing weight

*Edit* I also want to add the JRB Greylock 3 to my list as an option. Slightly heavier than the other options, but nice option.
    Last edited by PhiDelt496; 05-01-2014 at 16:58.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I think nobody will be able to answer your question, because it depends so much on the preferences of the individual user. The only way to find out what works best for you is to try it out. Go to a hang if you have the opportunity. If you can't, buy a PLUQ and if it doesn't work out, sell it. You shouldn't lose much.

That said, do you sleep cold or warm? For a cold sleeper, I would recommend to stay with a full-length underquilt. I am a cold sleeper, and I tried using a Yeti because weight and volume are attractive, but I found that I couldn't cope with the increased cold under my legs. I also would not be able to keep the pad in place, because I like to vent my sleeping bag in the foot area.

Sizewise the Yeti seems to be ample for a 3/4 uq. Unless you have very broad shoulders, I don't think the 5" more width in the Phoenix would be of use. Since I'm short and sleep cold, a little bit more length in a partial underquilt wouldn't do anything for me, either. Maybe other PLUQ users will chime in. If it was me, I would go for the 3 season Yeti to have more warmth where it covers me. I'd rather have a warmer uq than top quilt. On the other hand, you could always ask HG for a custom PLUQ.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Thanks for the reply. I think I am going to go with the Yeti as I feel it will offer me the most weight savings and flexibility.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    all great quilts i'm sure! go with the one that suits your needs best.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Here are my thoughts. I used the Yeti for a few years and recently changed to an Incubator 20 degree full length. For me the offset of having to carry a pad for the Yeti and mess with that wasn't saving a whole lot in weight and bulk overall from the 20 degree Incubator. Different story however when you are talking warm summer temps. In the summer I personally don't need anything at all under my feet using a partial length quilt. I have a 40 degree Phoenix on order for summer time that I will be using. Bottom line, if it's cold enough to need something under the feet it's pretty much a wash in weight/bulk to use a full length vs. a partial length and a pad. For Winter weight 0 degree quilts you'd be saving more in weight and bulk with a partial length 0 degree under quilt/pad combo but even so, I'd still rather take the weight penalty in very cold weather and use a full length quilt in that scenario as well. It's just less hassle and fiddle factor to deal with using a full length quilt. It really comes down to personal preference. There is no "right" way to do it or one superior way to do it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Thanks, Pizza.

I just dont see really low temps where I go. The beauty of TN weather is that in winter, if a sudden storm comes through, it will go from 40 down to 20. They USUALLY see the teens or below coming at least a day or two ahead of time. So that means that you dont really have to plan too much for surprises.

I have switched to a Mountain Hardwear Thruway pack, so the built in pad is perfect for leg insulation with a partial length quilt...as well as sit pad and other various functions. If I do go with my heavier setup...Gregory Baltoro 75 and about 8 lbs of camera gear, I will take my Crazy Creek camp chair which folds out flat as chair. I tend to be the same with the leg warmth as you, if I can keep my feet warm, then the rest of my lower body tends to follow. I will experiment with the Yeti and see how it goes. Beauty of this forum is that no one seems to lose much money trying gear from the cottage vendors...especially HG and WB.

The thought for me with a WBBB, is that I cant see too much more "fidgeting" with a partial length vs the Incubator. Once I got the Incubator dialed in, it did well for the most part. But it does seem to take a little more thought and care when turning or moving alot in the Hammock. Nothing jumps way out of place, but it does have to be readjusted if I roll or shift too much.

I do want to state that the Incubator is an amazing product and as well made as one could imagine. Absolute top quality materials and workmanship from the team at HG! I will never let go of my Burrow 20, and may add a Burrow 40 or 50 at some point.

Hammock
    WBBB's
    Tarp
    UGQ, WB, OES
    Insulation
    UGQ UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    IMO, If you want one quilt to do it all into the teens and twenties, keep your 20* Incubator. That will take less fiddling to keep you warm and will give you a better night's sleep. But, if teens/twenties/thirties will be a rare (or just maybe) thing for you, a 3/4 quilt might be in order. Of your choices, I prefer the larger coverage of the Phoenix. Down to the high-40s, I don't need insulation under my legs with a 3/4 UQ, so long as my feet are in the footbox of my TQ.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Gruxx,

Thanks for the input. I am taking everything into consideration here and have a trade setup with another member for a Yeti. I dont dislike the Incubator, I just think that a Partial Length will suit me...or is at least worth trying.

• + New Posts